It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
principessa46 HB User
Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

I was shopping and was completely fine. I was looking at some candles and my heart just fip flopped and fluttered and felt like it was not catching it's rythm. I straightened up and coughed and it felt like my heart was beating rapidly in a string of beats. Then my heart began to race out of the blue. I got so scared. I asked the sales person to please get me some water and I needed to sit down. I was shaking and trembling. I drank the cold water and within 10 to 15 minutes my heart rate came back down and was normal and steady.

I don't understand what happened. Could this have been SVT? I went directly to my doctor and he listened to my heart and checked me out with a stethoscope. He said my heart sounds were normal and that I am healthy. Of course my heart had settled down by that time. I was completely exhausted like I had run a marathon.

Anyone get this? I am afraid because we are supposed to fly over easter to visit family but this is scaring me now. I would love to hear back from people who have experienced this. Thanks, worried in Ottawa.

 
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

It could be an SVT. I just had successful surgery for AVNRT (atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia) two weeks ago. I had it for 18 years. What you experienced was exactly what happened to me fluttering and then boom my heart would jump up between 180 or 200 beats a minute sometimes a little more or less. It's benign for years most of the time but eventually meds cause you trouble and the episodes seem to increase. My question would be do you have any idea how high the beats per minutes were? If you heart was only 100 for example it might have just been an anxiety attack. To be an SVT it has to be at least 160 a minute in which case you most likely wouldn't be able to take your pulse. If it happens again, go to the ER and get them to run an EKG so that they can diagnose the problem for you and find a qualified electrophysiologist (a cardiologist that specializes in heart rhythm disorders). But it's possible you have AVNRT or another type of rhythm problem. With AVNRT, you have an extra pathway (congenital) and they cut it during surgery and you have a 95 -98% chance of a permanent cure. But, yes, sounds familiar to me. If I can answer any other questions please let me know. I wouldn't worry about the trip as if you have SVT's they don't happen all the time most likely. But don't worry, stress, exhaustion and other factors contribute to an attack. If it happens again, go to the ER and get the EKG or just make an appointment with the electrophysiologist and they can have you wear a holter moniter which is a device that will record your heart rate. The trouble with that option is if you wear it for say 3 days you may not have an SVT during that time so often going to the ER when you have the SVT and getting the EKG is the best first step. Best Wishes.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
principessa46 HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how fast my heart was beating because I was taken by surprise and then scared. I don't know what happened. I headed straight for my doctor after the attack and he checked me and said that even it had been svt, it was benign. I just remember my heart beating like a jack hammer in my chest and trembling. I know I was not anxious or anything when it hit. I was actually shopping in one of the shops I enjoy going to. I had walked over to the shop from my home and it was a great sunny day. I was totally ok.

Thanks again for writing back. I hope you are svt free since your ablation.

 
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 143
CFIDS HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lltomich View Post
It could be an SVT. I just had successful surgery for AVNRT (atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia) two weeks ago. I had it for 18 years. What you experienced was exactly what happened to me fluttering and then boom my heart would jump up between 180 or 200 beats a minute sometimes a little more or less. It's benign for years most of the time but eventually meds cause you trouble and the episodes seem to increase. My question would be do you have any idea how high the beats per minutes were? If you heart was only 100 for example it might have just been an anxiety attack. To be an SVT it has to be at least 160 a minute in which case you most likely wouldn't be able to take your pulse. If it happens again, go to the ER and get them to run an EKG so that they can diagnose the problem for you and find a qualified electrophysiologist (a cardiologist that specializes in heart rhythm disorders). But it's possible you have AVNRT or another type of rhythm problem. With AVNRT, you have an extra pathway (congenital) and they cut it during surgery and you have a 95 -98% chance of a permanent cure. But, yes, sounds familiar to me. If I can answer any other questions please let me know. I wouldn't worry about the trip as if you have SVT's they don't happen all the time most likely. But don't worry, stress, exhaustion and other factors contribute to an attack. If it happens again, go to the ER and get the EKG or just make an appointment with the electrophysiologist and they can have you wear a holter moniter which is a device that will record your heart rate. The trouble with that option is if you wear it for say 3 days you may not have an SVT during that time so often going to the ER when you have the SVT and getting the EKG is the best first step. Best Wishes.
How can you tell if it is AVNRT or SVT or Atrial-fib??? What is the differences between them? My heart when I go into what the Dr's call A-fib can jump around from 70bpm up to 185bpm in an instant! They had my on EKG, would they be able to tell if I had A-fib vs one of the other unknown things to me you mention????

Her sotry sounds very familiar so that is why I am asking.

 
Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 194
sico HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

A rogue pulse between the normal one will double your heart beat. My pulse is 60 and when I get this, my heart beat goes to 120. I don't have a medical insurance so I sit it out at home.
I use 2 methods to reverse it.
1) Close your nose and mouth then blow as if you are trying open your ears for 30 secs. Repeat if it does not work. This excretes a chemical in your body that reverts the rogue pulse.
2) If this does not work try going to the loo and press for 30 secs.
Got this from DR Oz on TV.

 
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
principessa46 HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Yes, these are good suggestions. My dr. advised me yesterday that I could try massaging my carotid artery on my neck and if that did not work, to bear down like I was going to the loo and I could also stick my finger down my throat to invoke the gag reflex. Another thing I have heard of is to invoke the diving reflex and to stick your face into a bucket of ice cold water or ice. I hope that this is nothing....it has left me shaken, scared and very much watchful of everything I feel in my body. I don't like living like this. Anyone else feel scared and watchful because of these episodes?

 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIDS View Post
How can you tell if it is AVNRT or SVT or Atrial-fib??? What is the differences between them? My heart when I go into what the Dr's call A-fib can jump around from 70bpm up to 185bpm in an instant! They had my on EKG, would they be able to tell if I had A-fib vs one of the other unknown things to me you mention????

Her sotry sounds very familiar so that is why I am asking.
AVNRT is an extra pathway in the heart - atrioventricular nodal re-entrant tachycardia, two pathway (most of the time but could be more). If you have this condition your heart will have one odd beat (several names people use for the extra beat) and then it will instantly go into a fast but regular rhythm most often between 180-220 beats per minute. Sometimes it eventually comes down on its own but in my 18 years I had plenty of ER visits along with specific maneuvers to stop it. A-fib I'm not as familiar with but it involves the upper part of the heart beating irregularly in some manner. AVNRT is 75% female. A-Fib is the most common of the arrythmias. AVNRT is second. AVNRT is benign (at least when you are younger as you get older it most often increases in incidence and gets harder to tolerate in most cases) and you are born with it but it is usually triggered by an event (mine was giving birth) and then it sticks around and has to be treated with ablation or medicine. A-Fib must be treated because it can cause strokes and other complications. AVNRT is the most treatable with ablation, generally thought to be 95-98% curable in a typical case. Mine was thought to be typical. In a more complex case, less curable. A-Fib I'm heard had a 70% chance of being curable by ablation, some say less then 70% and it seems those who have had the surgery are glad they did but often seem to go back for more than one. Whereas in AVNRT, they cut the pathway and that's that most of them time. I "heard" that the sooner you try and ablation for A-Fib the better the success rate which makes since because anything sooner then later is better. Maybe because letting it go cause damage that you can't reverse or the heart sets itself up in a pattern. I'm not an A-Fib expert though I have AVNRT so A-Fib folks feel free to chime in on that one. In the case of AVNRT, I strongly believe ablation is the way to go. I was stupid and was miserable for 18 years and didn't have to be. Medication for AVNRT is stupid and almost killed me, adenosine in the ER made my heart go into a ventricular tachycardia and that can cause heart damage. Adenosine literally stops and re-starts the heart, ablation for AVNRT is the way to go. I'm betting many that get cured for AVNRT never come back to this board and say anything. I want to help others by telling them my success story and how easy the ablation was so they don't suffer for 18 years like me with AVNRT.

 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa46 View Post
Yes, these are good suggestions. My dr. advised me yesterday that I could try massaging my carotid artery on my neck and if that did not work, to bear down like I was going to the loo and I could also stick my finger down my throat to invoke the gag reflex. Another thing I have heard of is to invoke the diving reflex and to stick your face into a bucket of ice cold water or ice. I hope that this is nothing....it has left me shaken, scared and very much watchful of everything I feel in my body. I don't like living like this. Anyone else feel scared and watchful because of these episodes?
You are probably younger so you should be OK. And yes, I did those procedures for years sometimes they work, sometimes it's the ER and medicine to stop and re-start your heart. But seriously, get a good electrophysiologist and consider the ablation IF they diagnose you with AVNRT (which sounds like a strong possibility). Why be scared and watchful when you can be 95 - 98% cured after a few hour surgery that is pretty darn safe! Most times it won't get any better as you age only worse. The episodes will eventually get more frequent. I suffered for 18 years because back then the surgery was not as common and they didn't have it figured out like they do nowadays. If I would I have known how easy it would be, I wouldn't have had to be miserable for so long. Wait until you are somewhere someday not close to a hospital or where you can try all those maneuvers! Then you will want to get the procedure. I was on a first date with someone and it acted up and I wanted to die, so embarrassing! Another time I was at an Universal Studios...can you imagine! Miles from my car! I had to go to there nurses station and sit there for 4 or 5 hours with an SVT...no fun. While everyone I was with was enjoying the park I had to sit with a nurse and it didn't come down and I ended up in a hospital in LA getting adenosine. Don't let this ruin your life! Get a GOOD doctor (an electrophysiologist) and he can tell from your EKG which type of SVT you have. If it's AVNRT...get an ablation and get your life back! I LOVE not every thinking this will happen to me again, I feel so empowered and happy. Plus if you plan on having kids you need an ablation. Everywhere I've read online they tell you that when you are pregnant it will really act up (that's when mine started) and to get an ablation so that you don't have to take drugs and harm the baby. Heart drugs are not good for a fetus!

 
Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Sorry for the late reply you posted in March but it could be SVT. If you have SVT's and you visit a doctor everything will seem fine unless you are in the middle of an attack. There is not going to appear to be any heart issues to a cardiologist most of the time. The key is to go to the ER while having an attack, get an EKG and that will give you a diagnosis. I had SVT's for many years until I had my ablation which I'm so happy about! Take Care.

 
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

Oh, crazy, I did reply already! Sorry for the second response!

 
Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Palm, Florida USA
Posts: 1
Thrill is Gone HB User
Re: Fluttering heart beats and then racing heart beat

I had the same thing in August 2008. I went to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack. One overnight stay and 10.000.00 later they could not find anything wrong with my heart. I went to my heart doctor and got my first ever stress test. The doc was concerned about a possible blocakage and wanted to put me on Plavix. I asked how could we be sure about the blockage and he suggested an angiogram where the go through the femural artery in your groin and snake all the way to your heart. They found nothing and diagnosed me with General Anxiety Disorder. I take 2 little 1 mg pills a day (xanax) and it stops the fluttering which leads to the weight on the chest feeling. Why I become anxious is mostly because at my age and in these times I feel my dreams are not attainable. It is really odd how the feelings come. They surely occur when in a room with many people and also occur when alone and thinking of the past and what is in store for the future. I work on putting my head somewhere else. At the beach, sailing on a destroyer, nature walks or how much I love my wife. I cant leave her behind. However, their are times when they just wont go away. Usually after I have lost my temper about something and feel embarrased. I used to just apologize for things like that and move on but now they bug me. I cant take the fight any longer. Maybe it is just me, but something is changing in this world; my super spidey sense salesman neck hairs have a feeling that the powers to be have decided "Baby Boomers" have to go. Or maybe everyone is stressed and find it hard to smile, be tolerant and send some sunshine into the life of a fellow human being. Who knows? Maybe your grocery clerk is about to lose thier home or is constantly finding her job threatend by the boss. We need a national smile month.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Was told I have an echo in my heart. wildtexspirit Heart Disorders 0 03-21-2010 01:01 AM
Fatigued, Feeling out of it, Periodic racing heart rate, what's wrong with me? Jason99ozGS General Health 2 05-30-2008 09:54 PM
Had WPW and ablation surgery but heart still races. crazz2323 Heart Disorders 38 08-04-2007 01:49 PM
Heart Fluttering roz5 Depression 18 07-13-2006 10:38 PM
been so sick... heart is a mess cjFTWORTH Lyme Disease 14 08-07-2005 11:15 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!