It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

kaiborder HB User
PFO, strokes and closure

I am scheduled for PFO closure surgery next month. After an ocular migraine last July (didn't know what it was - never had a migraine), and a series of tests, found out I have had "far too many strokes than I should have" for a person of 57. I saw the MRI - each layer of my brain was full of little white dots. After further tests, found a large PFO. Now scheduled for closure. Am worried because I have had 4 surgeries on one foot and learned that my body would not tolerate any sutures and threw out the sutures. Also could not tolerate a joint replacement. Am concerned my body will not tolerate the closure of the PFO but on the other hand, facing more strokes, perhaps one like that one that killed my aunt at 51 and my grandmother at 70.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

sandy000263 HB User
Re: PFO, strokes and closure

kai

I am about your age and am possibly a candidate for pfo surgery. Cant tolerate aspirin.

How did yours go? Would love any info you can provide. Thank you.

I feel dizzy all the time had to quit the aspirin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
(female)

kaiborder HB User
Re: PFO, strokes and closure

It went well. No pain. Was out of the hospital in 8 hours. I am now almost 3 months out. The only problem I have had was with the plavix. I ended up with horrendous bruising that was painful and the pain in all of my joints. My cardiologist said I had to stay on the plavix. I ended up in urgent care and the dr was very concerned. I had egg sized lumps in some of the bruises. My cardiologist finally took me off of plavix a week ago. I am starting to heal. No problems tho from the surgery. No heart pain, palpitations etc. It was definitely worth it. I believe it saved my life since I have already had multiple strokes even tho unknown to me. Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to kaiborder:
ennbee (05-11-2011)
Closed Thread