It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Chest pain but not short of breath

I guess first off a little history about myself - I'm a 34 year old woman, a recovered anorexic and doing very well and have been at a healthy weight for a few years now. However, when I was at my worst I had to take heart medication (atenolol) and was hospitalized on the telemetry unit for a week at one point b/c of irregular EKG's and very low body weight.

So starting yesterday I felt a sharp pain on my left side and although it hurt to breathe, I wasn't out of breath or anything. Also, at that time this started I was just sitting on my couch watching the news and catching up on things online. It was at night so I just decided to go to bed. I woke up this morning and felt fine but then a couple of hours after waking the pain started up again. This time it was when I while I was sitting in a certification class I'm taking right now.

As a side note, I also take Parnate (an MAOI) and there's a long list of things that I cannot eat due to causing heart problems. I'm very good about my diet as far as that goes so I don't think it's related to the Parnate. I have some anxiety issues but they never cause chest pain and when these recent incidents occured I was not anxious at all. And, when I'm not anxious, my blood pressure typically runs pretty low...

I'm not sure what to do -- I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing but at the same time I've never felt pain like this in this area. Any thoughts on what to do or what could be causing this? I should add that heart disease runs strongly on my mom's side of the family - one example being my mom's mother passed away at the age of 40 from a massive heart attack.

Sorry for the long post but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Lizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User
Re: Chest pain but not short of breath

Seeing how you were anorexic maybe your lining of your stomach is in need of repair? I have reflux and it does that to me. I take Pepcids to relieve the pains. I also herd from a friend that was anorexic as well and she was told that when you do that it causes your heart to get a hole or something in it. Not sure about that but ask your doctor about that. But I get the same things in the mornings when I wake up and then I get something in my stomach and the feeling goes away. Sorry I couldn't be of much help . But I have to say that I am happy to hear your recovering from being anorexic. Congratulations. I hope I am not out of line saying that. ~Hug~ Hope everything works or worked out for you about your tummy. ^.~

Last edited by wildtexspirit; 03-21-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
Re: Chest pain but not short of breath

hello lizzy

well that must have frightened you...I'd just keep note of everytime the pain occurs and what you were doing when it happened,hw liong it lasted and also what you ate before it started.I know it's very scary to have something happen and not know if it's something serioys or not.If it keeps up then give your dr. a call....

I've never been anorexic,but I have had one time in the past(1996)and actually right now where I'm at a very low weight(99 lbs.)....I was dx with a heart murmur in 2006 and then it got better and didn't bother me until late last year....I've lost weight again and I'm trying to eat more,but I have soooo many health issues I feel like crying me a river.It's alwatys something...you get better and then you get more symptoms...it's really hard trying to cope...sorry for going on about me....

I know when you get a sx like the pain you have it starts to make you wonder what is wrong and then because it happened again you get really concerned about it.So to ease your nerves and to see if there is a problem I would seriously go get it checked out.

sincerely
scout

Closed Thread