It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

Broxy HB User
Beta-blockers

Has anyone suffered bad nausea with thier beta-blockers?
I was on Atenolol 25mg for a few weeks ans i was fine then i began to have really bad nausea and my stomach felt bloated all the time, then i suffered from diarrhea and i suspected that it was the tablets so the doctor changed them to bisoprolol 2.5mg and almost immediately when i changed my symptoms went away and i felt fine but now again a few weeks in with the bisoprolol im feeling the bad nausea again. I really want to come off beta-blockers especially feeling like this, has anyone else experienced bad nausea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Beta-blockers

Hi Broxy!
Although I haven't experienced nausea with beta-blockers, I've had other very negative side effects! I've been on Zocor (metoprolol) since my Aortic Heart Valve Replacement (AVR), and they were very good post-surgery. However, after a year of recovery, I've noticed they make me sluggish, make the hands numb, and also contribute to lung congestion!

I had went off them for two days for a Treadmill Stress Test ordered by the cardiologist, and I felt like a new person! I felt SO good off the beta-blocker that I discontinued it altogether. Will be seeing cardio doc soon, so if he wants to try another BB, ok. But I will strongly ask to be kept off them!

Why are you on them? If you're symptomatic, or having serious problems, this may not be an option for you. I just wanted to tell you my story with this drug. Best wishes for you!
~Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Yes, I have had very bad experiences with beta blockers. I was changed to Bystolic just a few days ago (a different kind of bb) and the difference is dramatic. If you want to read my last few posts on the lupus board, I go into boring detail. My appetite has improved and my indigestion is so much better. However, I do have problems with IBS and GERD, so I know my stomach problems will not be gone forever. As with most medications, unless it is contraindicated, I try to take them with a meal. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

Broxy HB User

Thanks for the replies, i've to stay on the bisoprolol for now and see how i feel for a bit longer but i was told that i can't come off beta-blockers altogether because i have an ICD implanted.

Closed Thread