It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

Contender29 HB User
Unexplained heart palpitations

Hello,

I am a relatively healthy 27-year old male. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, and workout on a regular basis. My cholesterol is 173 and I don't smoke or do any drugs. I do have alcohol on occasion.

I have been having heart palpitations for about four years now after never having them for the first 23 years of my life. They are mostly of the "fluttering" variety. Sometimes I feel a "phoomph" or a skipped beat. They can be very scary and are causing me more anxiety because I think that something it seriously wrong.

I have had two echo-cardiograms, two stress tests, a few EKGs, and have been on a 30-day holter monitor on two separate occasions. The only thing the doctors tell me is that I have a slight leakage in one of my valves but that I shouldn't worry about it and it doesn't contribute to palpitations.

Of course the only explanation that remains is "anxiety." I admit that I have had some "panic attacks" in my life but a lot of the times my palpitations will come when I'm at rest or after a hard workout. I also get them after I have a drink or two.

I just feel like they have gotten worse over the past four years and I don't have any answers. I have tried taking more magnesium and other supplements but they don't seem to help.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Pat

Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Unexplained heart palpitations

Hi Contender29!
Was just wondering if the ECHO's were ordered and read by your GP or a cardiologist? A leaking valve IS a concern; however not necessarily urgent. Another thing to ask is, does your family have heart conditions? Some problems are very hereditary.

I had a leaking Aortic Heart Valve for years. Doctors called it a 'murmur.' Then when I turned 30, my Internist after reviewing tests rediagnosed me, with having a deteriorating aortic valve, needing it replaced eventually. His guess was I'd need the replacement at age 45. He was exactly right! At age 45 I became very symptomatic (tired all the time, shorteness of breath, etc.), and had to have the surgery.

But if you've had that many tests, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. My suggestion is to keep an eye on it however, with a cardiologist!
Good luck, ~Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

Sam196 HB User

Pat, I have read all of your posts and I see that we have very similar if not identical symptoms. I was 26 when my symptoms began (now 27), I was in excellent physical condition, had never done drugs, did not smoke and rarely drank. I had and still have a healthy diet and take fish oil and vitimins every day. In March of 2011 I began to feel pressure on the top of my head. It was more annoying than anything but after a few days I began to feel a little dizzy and lightheaded... many other symptoms followed. I went to the doctor and the guessing games began. First guess was that my neck was out, then a sphinoid sinus infection, then an MRI to check for a tumor, then a work up for MS, then came the anxeity diagnosis. I will admit, I do feel fairly anxious with all of these potential diagnosis', but, I don't feel that it is the cause of my symptoms. I have the pressure in my head, lightheadedness, shakey vision, heart palpitations, neck pain, head aches... I have seen a family care doctor, a PA, a Nurse Practicioner, an internal medicine doctor, a Cardiologist, and a Nuerologist. I am currently still under the care of the Nuerologist but I get the feeling he thinks it is all just due to anxiety and doesnt seem open to the idea of a legitimate diagnosis. I was currious as to where you are at with your diagnosis. Have you found out anything new or anything that seems to help with your symptoms? I would appreciate any advice you have.

~Sam~

Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've had to endure heart palpitations, tachycardia and all kinds of heart rhythm problems; and multiple other symptoms for decades. In my case, the number one cause is allergies.

Allergy medications relieve my allergy symptoms, but not my heart rhythm and heart beat problems. For that, among other heart problems, I take an Ace Inhibitor (Quinapril), Digoxin and a Beta Blocker (Coreg); and I avoid many things, some seemingly innocuous, inside and outside of my home.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-08-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Closed Thread