It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
(male)

Mariner1 HB User
Second Heart Attack Fears

It is exactly one year since my Heart Attack followed by Angioplasty with two stents. I have made what I think is a good recovery even though I had to have another Angiogram in January this year to investigate Angina pains. These I still have and treat with a GTN Spray. My problem is mainly Psycological whereas I have to travel and stay away to do my job. I absolutely hate this because of having to stay alone in Hotels. I find it difficult to sleep due to worrying about what could happen especially if I have to use the GTN Spray. Three years ago a colleague of mine died alone in his Hotel room of a Heart Attack. I have refused to travel abroad which has raised a few eyebrows. Is this 60 year old over reacting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
(male)

heartalaska HB User
Re: Second Heart Attack Fears

I had a severe heart attack four years ago (am sixty now), with resulting low ejection fraction and arrhythmias. I assumed that I would die any day. Apparently I haven't yet. I think extreme anxiety goes with having a heart attack, and there is no way to be talked out of it. Travel always seems risky (yet one doesn't want to be a "cardiac cripple"). It has only been a year for you, not very long after such a trauma. What helped me the most was walking and walking and walking. Also, after two years took Wellbutrin, and it almost immediately took away the free-floating anxiety and my constant fear of dying......Take care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
(female)

Janaly HB User

Hello Mariner,

I am sort of a worrier myself, so no I don't see your concerns as over
reacting. Your feelings are important and valid. The GTN spray you are
referring to is for angina attacks right?

That is great that you have made a good recovery from your heart
attack.

I can empathize (sp?) with how you are feeling about possibly being
alone and having an episode of possible sorts. Scary....yes I know.
I have not had a heart attack ...but have delt with other concerns
sort of parallel yours.

This is a busy forum...what I mean is there are alot of posters and
wonderful people looking for input and discussion.

Talking out your feelings and concerns here is a positive thing.

Take good care,

Breath deep~

Janaly
Allergic to Shellfish
*all are being treated*
but not with perfect success.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-03-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
(male)

Mariner1 HB User

Many thanks for the reply, it is good to communicate with people in the same or similar situation. best regards and Good luck in the future.

Last edited by Mariner1; 04-03-2010 at 04:24 AM.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
(male)

drumwall HB User

Hi mariner1. just joined this forum and seen your post. I had heart attack about 2 months ago, i also worry about 'second one'. I am still off work just now and been to docs today, he said i was recovering well. Don't know how you felt directly after attack, but i feel very drained after doing things i took for granted beforehand. Doc told me it was because of medication i am on. He said 'its meant to slow you down, and you will feel more tired than usual'.
That led to me thinking i was somewhat disabled. I thought surely this means i am never going to live the same again. But with me being me, i thought stuff this im going to enjoy life from now on. I have had a warning and im going to heed it. Of course i think i may have another heart attack, but im not going to let it spoil my life. The first few weeks i used to put spray under my pillow, thinking i might not be able to reach it in time. My wife works nights and i was terrified something would happen when she was out.
But i agree with you not wanting to go overseas etc. Dont think i would like that. I think i can reason with your thinking. You are not overreacting in my opinion. Yes you are probably correct in assuming its psychological...... but if it makes you feel like that, you are quite right not to travel. Anxiety is not a good thing, especially for us. So if your happier with your decision stick to it mariner. Take care.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
(male)

MisterO HB User

Hi Mariner1. I was searching for info on cardiac support groups and came across this board. I survived my heart attack almost 2 and 1/2 years ago. Life hasn't been the same since, which is to say that things shouldn't be the same either. Your feelings are exactly the same that I went through immediately after my attack. Back then, I thought that I was going crazy thinking the same thoughts -fear to be alone, fear of traveling, fear of dying from a 2nd attack, fear of the hypersensitivity I was having in relation to my physical self. I think, and I'm not a psychologist, that it is a form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in many ways. What is important is realizing that life won't be the same, that you can only control what you can control, and do everything possible to minimize the risks involved in being a heart patient. I take my meds daily, I excersize as much as I can, and I eat differently/healthier than before. There is now a "new" you, a different you. Don't be defined by the disease! My wife and I also are big proponents of being a strong and loud advocate for yourself. Don't let the professionals tell you what you need without asking a lot of questions, and in some cases demanding certain answers, test, etc. Same thing for your insurance company! As i mentioned before, we have been trying to work with our local hospitals to start a support group for heart attack survivors and their families. We were amazed to find out that there were no such groups already in existence in our area, so we figured we might as well start one. Look in your area for a support group or ask your hospital or doctor if they know of any. Personal "therapy' in the form of seeing a licensed professional and/or finding a purpose or reconnecting with your faith can also be helpful. Speaking from my own experience, men tend to deny what they are feeling and that they need help -I know that I was that way at first. Lots of heart patients also see modern medicine as having "fixed" them so that they can go back to the same lifestyle and habits as they had before their heart event figuring that the docs and ER will save them again. What a recipe for disaster! Best of luck!! Peace

Closed Thread