It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

I am near 70 and have had Congestive Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Chronic Tachycardia, Chronically High Blood Pressure, Immune System Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes, High Cholesterol, High Triglycerides and Asthma for over twenty years.

I have learned how to lower my blood pressure down to very healthy levels, reduce my heart rhythm problems, improve my heart failure, improve my Immune System/Neurohormonal System problems, get my Cholesterol and Trigylceride levels down to healthy levels and at the same time improve my general health. I would think that the healthy steps that I have taken could also help others, and provide significant improvements to immune disorders, such as Multiple sclerosis (MS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia, but, at that, I am only guessing.

I have no formal medical training or education, so I don't know how much of what has helped me would help others, but I'll document them here anyway.

My lifestyle and healthcare changes were:
  1. Being on a healthy diet.
    In my opinion, the overall healthiest diet, especially for those with chronic disease(s), consists of frequent, small portion, high fiber, low calorie, balanced meals, based on the Glycemic Index.
    Because of the profound improvement in my health, I intend to stay on this small, frequent, high fiber diet the rest of my life. I love it!
  2. Finding out, and avoiding, the things (triggers) that cause over-activation of the Immune System and the NeuroHormonal System.
    Heart Failure, and other heart problems, result in over-active Hormonal Systems, which is the body's attempt to increase the pumping ability of the heart by pouring out excess "helpful" hormones.
    There are also things that trigger either the Immune System or the Neurohormonal System to cause even additional hormones and other body chemicals to be produced, causing unhealthy stress to our systems, and resulting in a worsening of heart failure, high blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, and many other health problems, such as immune systems disorders like MS, CFS and Fibromyalgia. Who would have thought that a curative impact on all these diseases would be as simple, easy and inexpensive, as understanding and avoiding the things that trigger these diseases to get progressively worse!?
    The "helpful" chemicals, hormones and cytokines, are not so helpful when they are over-produced and are constantly circulating in the body. The over-production of these body chemicals need to be blocked or inhibited through either medications, avoiding the "triggers", or both.
    The over-production and over-circulation of hormones, cytokines, etc., can cause damage to organs, glands, joints and nerves, and make you feel sick as a dog, with fatigue, anxiety, mental confusion, headaches, etc..
    Medicines, like Ace Inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers, Beta Blockers, Renin Blockers all attempt to block, or inhibit, the overproduction of hormones, and to block or inhibit inflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF) and Interleukin-6 (IL). These inflammatory cytokines are additionally produced by the body to counteract the over-production of Hormones, but these inflammatory cytokines can be very damaging, and are what causes worsening Heart Failure and worsens other health problems.
    The more "triggers" of the Immune System, or the NeuroHormonal System, that can be avoided, the less medication that is required. Make sense? For instance, if you can avoid triggers that cause even more over-activation of the adrenal glands, you might thusly require lower dosages of medication that attempt to block the Adrenal Glands, like Beta Blockers.
    The triggers that cause an over-active NeuroHormonal System and the triggers that cause an over-active immune system can be the same triggers or completely different triggers.
  3. Exercise, exercise, exercise!
    Exercise is important, but until my health got better through proper diet and avoiding triggers that cause Heart Failure to get progressively worse, I could only do very limited exercise. Very slowly and gradually I was able to increase physical activity and exercise. Many times I would overdo it and suffer from difficult breathing, chest pains, over-sweating, increased heart rhythm problems and fatigue.
    My current exercise schedule, spread throughout the day, is about thirty pushups a day, 60 lifts and 120 curls with 10 pound weights per day per arm, 200 steps per day, per leg, on my stepper; and power walking one hour per day in two 30 minute sessions. Not bad for a elderly guy suffering from Heart Failure for over 23 years, huh?
    One benefit that I didn't expect to see is an improvement in my varicose veins problem.
  4. Taking the correct meds on the correct schedule.
    Finding out which medicines work best, and when is the best time to take them, is complex and extremely difficult. I've taken, and suffered with, many different heart/blood pressure medications before I figured out what works best for me.
    • To be on the most effective medications, for your unique health problems, you must be in the care of an effective, skilled, caring medical professional. If you are not getting, or feeling better, you should question the ability and effectiveness of your health professional(s).
    I currently take 12.5mg Coreg twice a day; .25mg Digoxin once a day; Warfarin 2.5mg once a day, Flovent and Flonase. You have to admit, that is a very low level of medication for treating all of my chronic diseases.

I Love Coreg!!!

Heart Failure is a progressive disease. That means that it usually gets worse with time, not better. The combination of Heart Failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation is particularly deadly and debilitating. I was significantly limited prior to age 60, but I felt that I was holding my own. Entering my 60's, my health got much worse, with worsening fatigue and weakness, constant chest pains, mental confusion and constant problems breathing, especially when lying down. I was forced to sleep sitting up to limit my breathing and heart rhythm problems.

Now..... close to my 70's, my health is quite good, although I am still limited by my disease(s). My heart is damaged, and while improved, my heart will always be compromised. The most important lesson, I've learned, has been that, even during one's 60's, heart failure does not necessarily have to lead to death and morbidity.

When my symptoms worsened, back in 1998, I started taking my blood pressure many times per day. It wasn't until 2004, when I incorporated all four essential steps, that my blood pressure, and health, started the long journey back towards better health. I started documenting my journey, right here on HealthBoards, in January 2005 on a thread, I called, Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? The link to that thread is: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url] At that time, I did not really know if I would continue to improve, or continue to get worsening heart failure.

These were my annual "average" blood pressure readings from 1998 through 2010.
  • 1998: 152/97, readings=1016
    An average of 152/97 for the ENTIRE YEAR! Is it any wonder why I was getting worse!?
  • 1999 : 146/92, readings=3599
    An average of 146/92, each and every day, for the entire year. Better than 1998, but still a serious health problem!
  • 2000 : 145/92, readings=3322
  • 2001 : 147/92, readings=2375
  • 2002 : 150/96, readings=1423
  • 2003 : 151/96, readings=1032
  • 2004 : 146/90, readings=2065
  • 2005 : 139/86, readings=2526
  • 2006 : 136/79, readings=3269
  • 2007 : 126/74, readings=2720
    An average of 126/74 for the entire year. There is hope that I can survive these nasty diseases!
  • 2008 : 122/72, readings=2543
  • 2009 : 124/72, readings=2682
  • 2010 : 123/72, readings=222

My Cholesterol Numbers are also great, without ever having to take statins!
  • Total Cholesterol: around 160
  • HDL: around 60
  • LDL: around 90
  • Trig: around 60
  • Ratio: < 3

As long as I adhere to this lifestyle, I don't have to worry about my blood pressure or worsening heart failure or heart rhythm problems, or Cholesterol, or Trigylcerides, etc.

The solution, and steps, one must take, to significantly improve most cases of high blood pressure, worsening heart failure, most heart rhythm disorders and many other immune system diseases are amazingly simple, but takes a lot of work.

My health is slowly improving day by day. I feel younger, stronger, more alert, and with more energy. I never expect my heart to fully recover, but at this point, who cares! After 23+ years of dealing with Heart Failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, I am certainly not going to complain!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-30-2010 at 10:39 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Machaon
angeljanine (02-24-2011), Cmbr (03-06-2011)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Ashura9 (05-16-2012), Cmbr (03-06-2011), eirenorge (02-08-2012), faythomas (03-30-2011), popstarrdiva (05-31-2012), ViolentDelights (10-29-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... As long as I adhere to this lifestyle, I don't have to worry about my blood pressure or worsening heart failure ...
I've just taken my 29,000th Blood Pressure reading since 1998. My average blood pressure for April, 2010 was 121/69 based on 149 readings throughout the month ( 5 readings per day ).

Getting one's blood pressure down to very healthy levels all day long, day after day, month after month, is the key to improved health PERIOD!

Not that everything is rosy. I enjoy my very restrictive, healthy diet, but I'd rather be eating pizzas and subs and chicken wings and drinking beer. I'd love to be more active, but at close to 70, and having had to deal with Heart Failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation for over 23 years, I've had to live a very limited lifestyle in a very restricted environment.

At least Heart Failure is no longer the death sentence it used to be. I shouldn't be alive right now, and I certainly shouldn't be doing as well as I am doing!

Being up there in age, and having friends and associates also up there in age, I have witnessed a few of my "healthier" friends and associates pass away before me. That's one of the sad parts of life which we all have to endure...... but, it does give me a certain sense of satisfaction along with the grief.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-03-2010 at 08:00 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Ashura9 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

Thanks for sharing, Machaon! Congrats on finding the path to happy heart health! I agree with you! I have one other thing to add. Try to eat before 6 PM if at all possible (if you have to eat later eat something very, very healthy). I have pretty much the same lifestyle as you do but I had AVNRT and after my ablation 3 months ago I don't need meds but of course someone with A-Fib does. I'm pretty sure it's cured as normally during allergy season my heart would always go into an SVT. Now if I have a PAC it goes nowhere like the surgeon told me which is great. Meds of course depend on the heart problem involved. If someone has AVNRT I highly, highly recommend an ablation! I lived with AVNRT until age 51 and I would have saved a lot of money, sanity and had a much better life if I would have done it sooner! No need for meds alone saves a lot of money! Best Wishes everyone. Thanks again, Machaon!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lltomich View Post
I have one other thing to add. Try to eat before 6 PM if at all possible (if you have to eat later eat something very, very healthy).
I agree with you. Unfortunately, with my small meal, low calorie, frequent eating type of diet; I find myself sometimes eating quite late at night. Also, eating late at night, in some circumstances, helps me deal with some of my symptoms.

Quote:
I have pretty much the same lifestyle as you do but I had AVNRT and after my ablation 3 months ago I don't need meds but of course someone with A-Fib does.
I would not know what it was like to not need meds!

The same lifestyle? You live in a very limited lifestyle in a very restricted environment like I do? It is very, very difficult. It takes great coping skills! It drives me nuts! Buts....... it's all good. Because I do severely restrict my lifestyle and environment, my heart failure is getting progressively better rather than the "norm", which is progressively worse.

What types of restrictions are you forced to endure?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's cured as normally during allergy season my heart would always go into an SVT.
That is great! I guess that you hit yourself on your head over and over again wishing that you would have had that ablation sooner!

Quote:
Now if I have a PAC it goes nowhere like the surgeon told me which is great.
That must be nice. Don't you, just a little bit, miss your heart flip flopping around with PACs?

In my case, my heart never beats correctly. The best I can hope for is for my heart to beat fairly nice most of the time. If I exert myself too much, my failed, enlarged heart beats very erratically and it forces me to cool myself and rest until it settles down. If I come into contact with an "irritant", not only will my heart misfire, but my blood pressure rises.

Quote:
Meds of course depend on the heart problem involved. If someone has AVNRT I highly, highly recommend an ablation! I lived with AVNRT until age 51 and I would have saved a lot of money, sanity and had a much better life if I would have done it sooner!
I can see why you are excited. You spent a long time dealing with AVNRT. And now....... it's all over! Congratulations!

You are certainly the spokeswoman for ablation here on Healthboards. I am jealous. I've got to tolerate 6.25mg Coreg and .25mg of Digoxin, and persistant AFib and a significantly enlarged heart day, after day, after day, after day.

It's all good though. I am doing quite well considering my level of heart disease.

Quote:
No need for meds alone saves a lot of money! Best Wishes everyone. Thanks again, Machaon!!!
So.... what are you going to do with all those left over meds? You could do some art-work? Fashion the pills into some type of picture and hang it on the wall!

Keep up the good work of spreading the word about ablations for AVNRT. If one other person reads your posts, and then has an ablation and experiences the great type of success that you have had, you would "earn your wings"!

Take care....... thanks for your response!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-05-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I've just taken my 29,000th Blood Pressure reading since 1998. My average blood pressure for April, 2010 was 121/69 based on 149 readings throughout the month ( 5 readings per day ).

Getting one's blood pressure down to very healthy levels all day long, day after day, month after month, is the key to improved health PERIOD!
My average blood pressure for May, 2010 was 120/70 based on 116 readings throughout the month ( 4 readings per day ).

My average blood pressure Year-To-Date: 2010 is 122/70 based on 543 readings throughout the year ( 4+ readings per day ).

I monitor my weight several times per day, my blood pressure several times per day and my blood sugar. In order to survive Heart Failure combined with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and very overactive NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems; I need to monitor as much as I can. Doing so provides me with a fairly good quality of life, despite all of my health challenges.

A good quality, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet is soooooooo very important for better health for those of us with major chronic illnesses.

I started out in 1998 with chronically high blood pressure, 24 hours per day. I now enjoy exceptionally great, healthly blood pressure 24 hours each day, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year... and that is what is greatly helping me to survive and do very well despite debilitating health problems.

High Blood Pressure is not necessarily a disease all by itself, but a mirror into one's overall health. If one has high blood pressure than one's body is not as healthy as it should be. Period!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-05-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon
I started out in 1998 with chronically high blood pressure, 24 hours per day. I now enjoy exceptionally great, healthly blood pressure 24 hours each day, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year... and that is what is greatly helping me to survive and do very well despite debilitating health problems.

High Blood Pressure is not necessarily a disease all by itself, but a mirror into one's overall health. If one has high blood pressure than one's body is not as healthy as it should be. Period!
The attached charts, taken from over 29,000 BP readings, shows my average annual Blood Pressure from 1998 through current; my average Monthly BP readings from 1998; and my average recent Hourly BP; and reflects the positive effects of diet on my overall health, Heart Failure and Blood Pressure.

To see the full size charts, instead of the small thumbnails, just select or click on one of the thumbnail attachments. Once the chart shows on the screen, clicking on it again seems to place the chart in it's own page, and allows the viewer to have full control over viewing the chart.

Charts follow:

Chart: Average Annual BP readings, 1998-2010 ( 13 years/points on chart )
Chart Annual BP edited.jpg
Chart: Average Monthly BP readings 1998-2010 (13 years monthly, ~ 160 points)

Chart Monthly BP edited.jpg

Chart: Average Hourly BP readings for 2010 (24 points hourly, hours 1 (1am) through 24 (12 midnight).
Chart 2010 Hourly BP.jpg

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-23-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Made charts more readable, understandable.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
(male)

vooda HB User

MACHAON I've read many of your post. I started out with an eF of 22 after my MI and have had it as high as 34-36 with diet and exercise you can't be afraid. But with recent health issues I'm down to 30%EF
My question is what has you EF been over the years from start till today?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... A good quality, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet is soooooooo very important for better health for those of us with major chronic illnesses.
I increased the size of my meals, still eating good quality, very healthy, low glycemic, high fiber, balanced meals, 6-7 per day.

For a while, I was OK on the larger meals, but gradually I began suffering from all kinds of increased, nasty symptoms, such as swollen legs, ankles and feet; muscle weakness, loss of feeling in shoulders, weak heartbeat, fatigue, inability to exercise, etc.

At first I thought that I was suffering from worsening Heart Failure, because these increased nasty symptoms could have been due to my heart disease getting worse. But, after much research, I guessed that the increased, nasty symptoms were more like signs of kidney problems, IMHO. So..... I've decreased my daily protein consumption down to about 53 grams of Proteins per day; among other dietary adjustments, and after a few days, I am feeling much better, and am experiencing improvements in ALL of these nasty symptoms.

My blood pressure was still at very healthy levels. I had thought that, as long as I kept my blood pressure at very healthy levels, 24 hours per day, week after week, etc., that my blood pressure was the only thing that I had to control, or worry about. NOT!!!

So...... now I can add kidney problems to my list of chronic health problems.

What is the lesson learned from this? A healthy, appropriate, proper diet is the best medication that we can take for better health and treatment of health problems. During my 23+ year battle against Heart Failure and other chronic illnesses, solutions to dreadful, nasty symptoms have almost always come back to DIET!

It's all good, isn't it!?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-27-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I love your advice. I recently learned my hormones were out whack

Great advice.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caring12 View Post
I love your advice.
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Quote:
I recently learned my hormones were out whack

Great advice.
We humans have over 300 different hormones circulating thru our bodies at any one time, scheduled for release into our blood streams via our own personal Circadian Rhythm.

However..... whenever there is a problem within our bodies, such a heart valve problems, or heart disease, or an attack on our bodies such as allergens or irritants, then our body bypasses the Circadian Rhythm and starts pumping additional hormones. These additional hormones can promote heart palpitations, tachycardia, breathing problems, headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint aches, depression, anxiety, etc.

If these additional hormones don't fix the "original" problem, then our body continues to pump out these hormones until the problem is fixed. The problem is, these additional hormones can not be tolerated for long periods of time or they will make us sick and cause all kinds of health problems, and be known as "hormones out of whack"!

Do you know which of your hormones are out of whack?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
(female)

The femele type lol. thought all this was peri or menopause. nope.

too much of one not enough off another.

oh and a kidney electrolyte problem. one i had my entire life but no one caught it. i push potassium testing and gfr test now. seen a urologist before did an ivp. slighlty odd things showed up not nothing overtly bad.

i keep joking to my kids, i wish I had a bad habit I could blame this stuff on! i keep joking i am going to develop a drinking habit or something to have a reason for having issues. i like you after getting sad and telling myself i am still alive and not immobile or paralyzed to get moving and live. it is that old saying come to life, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. i faced the fears I had so long and I came out ok.

i then get to know other cool people like you!

this bad health news do change you that is for sure. it made me actually happier.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
(female)

lemmony99 HB User

Can you please tell me a bit more about the six small meals you have? I am very overweight now and will need to only take in a thousand calories.Can you give me some examples of what you eat and at what times as it sounds very sensible and I'd like to learn more.Also-as I'm in the UK- what is Coreg?
I love fibre too and I know you get quite a bit of that.
many thanks
L99

Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmony99 View Post
Can you please tell me a bit more about the six small meals you have?
I actually eat from six to eight meals per day, but usually around seven meals per day.

I try to put two hours between meals, allowing my system to fully digest before stuffing face again.

I am almost always hungry, but having to wait only two short hours to eat again helps me to stay on diet. Part of that time, of course, is preparation, so I find myself either preparing to eat or eating, or exercising in between. It works for me.

Here is an exact copy of my current menu, which has just recently changed. I increased my calories about 100 calories, eliminated some salads and included some tasty granola bars.

Current July 2010 menu: (right click and open as new window, or tab).

Menu 100721.jpg

I have heart failure, so I figured by reducing salads, which take more effort by my heart to digest, and replacing the salad with granola bars, it would be less work for my heart.

Quote:
I am very overweight now and will need to only take in a thousand calories.Can you give me some examples of what you eat and at what times as it sounds very sensible and I'd like to learn more
My current diet is less than 1600 calories per day. Take a look at the menu that I attached to this post and then, if you so desire, ask some more questions.

Mind you...... I have no medical training, or diet training or dietary education. I am just doing this stuff on my own, and although it works for me very, very well, it might not work as well for others.

Buts..... at least it might give you some ideas, huh?

Quote:
Also-as I'm in the UK- what is Coreg?
It's medication for heart failure, called a Beta Blocker. The generic here in the good ole US is Carvedilol.

Quote:
I love fibre too and I know you get quite a bit of that.
many thanks
L99
I try to eat foods that have low glycemic indexes and low glycemic loads; and those types of foods usually are high in fiber. One of my favorite foods is broccoli, but I find it too high in fiber, which causes too much strain on my heart, so I strip off a lot of the fibrous covering to the broccoli stems before I eat it.

Thanks for your questions and your post. Take a look at my menu, if you so desire, and then feel free to ask questions.

Mind you..... my diet addresses my health problems, which includes Pre-Diabetes/Insulin Resistance, Chronic High Blood Pressure and Heart Failure. My diet would definitely not appeal to anyone else, unless, perhaps, they had chronic life-threatening diseases similar to mine. I would not be eating the type of diet that I am eating if my health would permit otherwise!

Take care..... good luck!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-21-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #14
(female)

lemmony99 HB User

Thank you.That was very interesting and you must have great will power!! I get my complete diagnosis on the 4th August-bloods,echo and other tests.Will let you know what they say.

L99

Old 07-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
(female)

I have heard that too to not eat salad from another person Machaon, is it the water content?

Closed Thread