It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

typhoonnatalie HB User
Heart racing at 200 bpm? Can't figure this out!

And this isn't the first time, either. For the past month, I've had two or three incidents where, without any obvious cause or trigger, my heart will start beating exceptionally fast. My normal resting rate is around 70-80 bpm. The first time it happened, it shot up to around 120, which made me feel pretty uncomfortable but I didn't think too much of it. This last time it happened, about an hour ago, I could hardly count. By the time I could, I measured it at around 200. I hadn't been doing anything but just sitting on my bed relaxing, and all of a sudden my heart just starts racing. After about 5 minutes or so, it stops dead for a couple of seconds (literally), and then comes back down to my normal 80-ish.

In case it has any bearing, I'm taking the generic forms of Ortho-Tricyclen (birth control), Trileptal (anti-epilepsy; for bipolar disorder) and Adderall. I've been on the last two for at least three months, though, and the first for over two years, so I'm not sure if they would just be doing this now. Any insight you guys can give me is hugely appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
(male)

rajk HB User
Re: Heart racing at 200 bpm? Can't figure this out!

It could be your meds - most likely as you have only started 3 months ago. Consider your diet as well. Are you using sweetners at all? I mean AT ALL? Aspartame is the worst and as you know is present in a lot of things including diet cola. Magnesium will relax your heart muscles, so I would suggest taking a supplement. Try these tips or else see your doc as it could be the meds. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

I have AVNRT and it starts by being triggered oftentimes by meds or hormones or that type of thing. In other words, it's an underlying genetic congential (born with it) extra pathway in your heart. No meds will make your heart go 200. 120, yes. But 200 tends to indicate you have an underlying heart rhythm disorder. Next time it's 200 get to the ER and get an EKG. Or better yet, make an appointment with an electrophysiologist and he can hook you up to a holter moniter that will record your heart rate over a period of time to see what is really going on. I had ablation surgery for my AVNRT and they simply cut the extra pathway in your heart and it fixes it. 95 - 100% of the people that have the surgery are cured permanently! I'm so happy I can't believe it! It was 5 weeks ago I had my surgery after having a heart spontaneously speed up for almost 20 years. Meds make AVNRT act up, I couldn't take most meds for 20 years because I had it. They have the surgery that can fix it if it is a heart rhythm disorder in a surgery that takes only a few hours and you don't really have any major recovery time either because they use a catheter they don't have to do open heart surgery. I didn't know I had AVNRT until I was just over 30 years old. Most likely that's what it is AVNRT starts suddenly and stops suddenly but if you take meds it will set it off for sure. As soon as I saw the title of your post I knew I should respond because it really does sound like AVNRT if not at least some type of heart rhythm disorder. The good news is it is curable but see an electrophysiologist not just a regular cardiologist. Best Wishes. If you need more information let me know.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I have had SVT episodes for about 20 years and after an ER visit this morning, I am actually considering having the ablation procedure done. I have heard that you have to lay on your back after the procedure for about 6-8 hours for the insertion point on your groin to heal. Is that true? and what happens if you have to use the bathroom? Usually when i have an SVT, I am having to pee constantly for several hours.
Also, how long is the recovery time after you are out of the hospital? How long before you can go back to work?

Thanks,
Lyl

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
(female)

jayne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonnatalie View Post
And this isn't the first time, either. For the past month, I've had two or three incidents where, without any obvious cause or trigger, my heart will start beating exceptionally fast. My normal resting rate is around 70-80 bpm. The first time it happened, it shot up to around 120, which made me feel pretty uncomfortable but I didn't think too much of it. This last time it happened, about an hour ago, I could hardly count. By the time I could, I measured it at around 200. I hadn't been doing anything but just sitting on my bed relaxing, and all of a sudden my heart just starts racing. After about 5 minutes or so, it stops dead for a couple of seconds (literally), and then comes back down to my normal 80-ish.

In case it has any bearing, I'm taking the generic forms of Ortho-Tricyclen (birth control), Trileptal (anti-epilepsy; for bipolar disorder) and Adderall. I've been on the last two for at least three months, though, and the first for over two years, so I'm not sure if they would just be doing this now. Any insight you guys can give me is hugely appreciated!
hi how are you, I had the same problem approximately six year ago. It resulted in stroke with underlying atrial fibrilation. It totally destroyed my professional life, personal life and recently after tons of research, i had a procedure done called the maze procedure. I have endurred alot of ups and downs in the past six years including loosing a relationship and now having to start all over. Have this checked out. Trust me. You will not regret it.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
I have had SVT episodes for about 20 years and after an ER visit this morning, I am actually considering having the ablation procedure done. I have heard that you have to lay on your back after the procedure for about 6-8 hours for the insertion point on your groin to heal. Is that true? and what happens if you have to use the bathroom? Usually when i have an SVT, I am having to pee constantly for several hours.
Also, how long is the recovery time after you are out of the hospital? How long before you can go back to work?

Thanks,
Lyl
Hi Lylone,

You do have to lay not only on your back for 6 hours but you can't move at all not even slightly. Bathroom is not a problem you get a cathetor that takes care of that for you. Around hour 5 I started to get a bit over the top it was really hard to stay still. I made everyone leave by the end of the 4th hour because no one wanted to be in my presence. It's OK though as you tell yourself, surgery is over and so is this 20 year old SVT problem I just have to stay still for a few more hours. I too had them for 20 years. I had surgery on a Friday morning, left the hospital Saturday morning, back to work Monday morning. Had the ablation 6 weeks ago. Advice - realize that you will be extra tired for about 3 weeks and you will probably go to bed early. You won't have a full blown SVT but for awhile you may have sinus tachycardia here and my heart has gone up to around 120 but it doesn't last long and it's supposed to get less after 3 months and that happened 3 times but only for the first 3 weeks nothing since, heart is very quiet. The worst part of the surgery is some unexpected chest pain during it (no one told me about that and I wish they would of I thought I was having a heart attack during the procedure). That's I guess when they are burning the pathway(s). They claim they don't want you to know because you might not do it but in my case knowing would have been better than thinking I was having a heart attack during it! I was told my SVT was run of the mill AVNRT which I'm very happy about. So glad I had it done I have my life back after 20 years! I can just be normal now like the rest of the world. I get a hard thud in my chest and it doesn't turn into an SVT, it's wonderful! I get emotional on occasion because I'm so happy I can't believe how a one day procedure (my surgery was 3 1/2 hours) and 6 hours of laying still changed my body 100%! I couldn't recommend it more everyone with SVT's should do it. Just know your diagnosis first so you know what to expect for your type of condition. Best Wishes.

Closed Thread