It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

red-rider HB User
Feeling faint/rapid pulse after walking

Hello~yesterday I had a very scary occurrence. I used to walk daily but had taken a break for 6wks due to cold/wet weather. Yesterday at the end of my 30 min walk as I climbed a small slope, I felt faint and my pulse went bonkers(very rapid). I laid down flat as soon as I could and my pulse came down within 5 mins or less. This happened to me 2 yrs ago when I climbed many stairs in cold weather at a football stadium, but I had eaten a big meal before the game and thought maybe that could be it.
After recent bloodwork revealed a fasting glucose of 119, I started Mega red pills and resumed walking. I am in my early 50's and pretty good health. I do take Diovan and twice weekly take the kind with a diuretic in it. Yesterday I was on the HCT and had been to the restroom a lot to urinate and also felt very tired before my walk. Now I am baffled, is it the diruetic? my blood sugar or my heart? or even the introduction of Mega red to my daily routine?
It scared me pretty bad, but we all need to exercise and I thought walking to be the safest. Was at the doctor last week and she said my glucose could be re-checked in 3 mos. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
PS~Diovan and Diovan HCT are blood pressure meds.
~Thanks~RR

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Feeling faint/rapid pulse after walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-rider View Post
... I felt faint and my pulse went bonkers(very rapid). ... After recent bloodwork revealed a fasting glucose of 119 ... I am in my early 50's ... also felt very tired before my walk.
Insulin is one of the most important body chemicals. When Insulin is not working effectively, and blood glucose is too high, all kinds of nasty things happen to one's body, including higher blood pressure, nerve problems, organ and gland problems, heart rate problems, etc.

I have found that, with my chronic health problems, a low calorie ( ~ 1500 calories), small meal, frequent eating (6 meals a day) diet was the best "medication" I could take. I credit my healthy diet with the significant improvements in my health.

As long as your blood glucose is too high, you can expect your body to not function as healthy as it should. So...... you might consider getting your blood glucose under control. The best way, IMHO, is through proper, low calorie diet.

Regards, and best of luck!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
(female)

red-rider HB User

Dear Machaon~thank you for your reply and also for the helpful advice. I see you have survived many health challenges. I am known to skip meals during the day and then at night I am as hungry as a bear. I guess I had not thought of how this could mess up my blood sugar. The day of my "almost" faint, I had eaten a small low calorie TV dinner, but that was 4+hrs earlier. My husband thinks the walk I took was too vigorous after being off for many weeks and that I should have taken a more gradual approach. I wonder if most faints are caused from too high or too low blood pressure~OR~one's insulin level going up and down? Do you know if diet soda or sugarless gum affect one's blood sugar? Also do you have suggestions of a very light meal or snack that I could eat before I go sit in the stands for hours at my son's baseball game that would be "good" for my blood sugar? I'm very seldom hungry at game time, but I know I should eat something so I dont feel depleted.
thanks again and congratualtions on your newfound health!
RR

Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

I think it's very possible that you may have an electrolyte imbalance caused by the diuretic.

One of the side effects of HCT is fast/irregular heartbeat and fainting. You need to let your doctor know so you can have labwork done. The doctor may want you on electrolyte replacement.

I also think it's very important for you to be keeping track of your blood pressure/pulse rate daily and keeping a log. Do you have a digital blood pressure machine?

Closed Thread