It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
(male)

friedpotatoes HB User
I HATE the Spring

This last month has been tough... The frequency and severity of my heart palpitations have increased since the beginning of March and it is really making me angry because no matter what I do they will not go away. I could be perfectly relaxed (thanks to my xanax medication) working on a website and boom, my heart flops around like a fish out of water for a second and just after that happens my face feels like it's going to explode and for whatever reason the skin on my hands and arms feels like its cracking. Its very discomforting and forces me to take more xanax (which can become expensive).

I realized, however, that this has happened every spring and fall since I moved from the desert when I was 12/13. With every year I feel as though the severity and frequency does actually increase, but I'm really not sure. These stupid things lead me to my life-changing panic attack in the spring of 08 that lead to my "lay-off", my alcoholism, and the reason I dropped out of college (couldn't sit in class without having an anxiety attack). I WILL NOT exert myself in any way as to not stir up palpitations and panic attacks so I stopped exercising and I've gained a ton of weight... My father thinks I'm lazy, but really I'm just really scared of having a heart attack since heart disease is in both sides of both sides (and so-on) of my family.

I'm just getting really sick of whatever is going on in my chest and if anybody can recommend anything that may help that does not require a doctor it would be much appreciated. Since I'm not working I haven't any healthcare and furthermore no money. (It would make sense that this would contribute to anxiety and therefore cause palpitations, but anxiety/paplitations from what I can gather is a chicken and egg kind of situation... however, I can tell you the palpitations came first). I've been drinking a lot of grape juice and taking acai supplements but from what I have experienced is its a joke, my palpitations are not becoming less frequent. Damn things wake me up at night .

Last edited by Administrator; 04-10-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: inappropriate language removed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
(male)

friedpotatoes HB User
Re: I HATE the Spring

BTW... In 05 I visited the ER due to an episode lasting over 30 minutes of about 5 palpitations ever minute. By the time I was hooked up to an EKG (if that's the correct device) after waiting in the ER for over another half hour they had completely disappeared (go figure lol). I decided to go to the ER because it had happened before in 03 when I was exercising and was curious (mostly scared) as to what was happening (both instances were in the spring). They did blood tests and x-rays and an MRI and they found nothing.

I then made an appointment with a cardiologist to have a stress test and an ultrasound done, but I never followed up with the cardiologist after the tests were done. Would they notify you of anything abnormal or do you have to pay them another time for the results? (dont mean to sound bitter, but boy do they make a killing)

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

I had AVNRT for 20 years so I'm used to palpations and seconds later a heart rate of 220, had an ablation 6 weeks ago. However, I do have a thought for you. March is the beginning of spring allergy season and allergies affect more than the nose in fact some people have no nasal symptoms but have other symptoms. I believe one of them is speeding up the heart and palpatations. I get various symptoms also in the spring and I do feel one is palpatations and sinus tachycardia (fortunately no longer AVNRT). Some years it goes to my eyes only and I get tons of discharge until I can no longer see. Seems to vary by year or something but it happens around March with me too. Allergies cause histamine (not sure of the spelling) and histamine causes things to speed up. As in whatever is weak in "your" body. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the case but the doctors will never figure it out most likely as there are things they don't know because the human body can be very individual at times. I refuse to take Xanax or any type of anti-depressent type of medicine because my body gets jiggly this time of year and my heart jumps up a bit temporarily. I tell my mind to stay chilled that the body is having a little reaction to the season and to stay calm and I never get mentally stirred up. I find those who stay calm regardless of circumstance live the longest frankly. Even when my heart was beating at 220 beats a minute I would go to the ER after hours of trying to bring it down and laugh and joke with the staff. They always told me I was the weirdest person they ever met that was having an SVT because I was not only calm I was pleasant. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if it was spring allergies making the problem worse.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
(female)

3dachs HB User

They are supposed to call you if there is anything troublesome in your tests. I would call the office, ask to speak to a medical assistant and ask them to give you the results. Worth a try.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

3dachs HB User

lltomich, I also have SVT and am considering an ablation. Would you share your experience of the procedure?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dachs View Post
lltomich, I also have SVT and am considering an ablation. Would you share your experience of the procedure?
I am very happy I had my ablation, I wish I would have done it sooner as I had this problem for AVNRT since birth but the last 20 years it has been expensive and annoying! I had been to probably about 3 electrophysiologists over the year in Pittsburgh and one in KC and none had given me a diagnosis just simply said it was some kind of SVT. Until around 5 years ago no one even mentioned an ablation (I have to be honest, I didn't have much luck when I lived in Pittsburgh). I moved to KC and the first doctor mentioned it but he didn't diagnose me just said some kind of SVT and his presentation of an ablation scared me. I found my current electrophysiologist and he had reviewed my EKG's, came in with a diagram and literally took his pen and showed me the problem and gave it a name finally. A year later I finally got brave enough to do it after going to the ER with a 5 hour SVT that ended up with the adenosine putting me into a ventricular tachycardia, chest pain and a night in the hospital. Had the ablation a month later, believe it or not I wasn't even slightly concerned because by that point the condition had me so frustrated that I was more than willing to take whatever risk was necessary to finally end this fight and become normal again (I was more scared to go to my recent dentist appt). The doctor and his team were amazing. So professional and I found out later online that I was in the first hospital that got the new EP cockpit in the US (I'm in KC, so I was a little surprised since I'm not in NY)! What's important to know is that you are awake but sedated a bit. I felt so confident with the staff nothing bothered me even the pain that spread throughout my chest when they burned the extra pathway. I simply said to the nurse is this normal? I thought I was having a heart attack or something but the pain wasn't unbearable. She said it was normal and it would go away, not to worry. At that moment my heart was also racing here and there and I kept thinking race all you want because after today you won't anymore. I can honestly say I was excited to have the surgery. As I'm writing this tears are in my eyes because after 20 years of suffering that 3 1/2 hour procedure has made me feel very empowered and normal again. I have had times after the surgery where I was so happy I would just cry and I don't cry a lot. The other things to know are that it is hard to lay still and not move at all for 6 hours after the procedure the last 2 hours I was a bit over the top but I kept thinking this is almost over. When I tried to stand up I couldn't walk I was in so much pain from staying still so I decided to move enough to get the blood flowing and I thought if I slept often pain will go away and so I slept for 4 hours and woke up feeling good as new! No pain after the surgery for me at all. Surgery Friday - out of the hospital Saturday morning - working Monday. One more important thing. I had 3 episodes of sinus tachycardia for the first 3 weeks. I also had some heart thumps and frequent PAC's. Those have gone away considerably in the past few weeks almost nothing at all, maybe one PAC in 3 weeks. They also put me on a holter moniter for a week and I guess it's OK that was two weeks ago and they haven't called me. I did aerobics when I had the moniter I wanted to test everything out! My heart is crazy quiet and I'm loving it. I would make certain I had an AWESOME doctor and a hospital with great equipment and I would so have the ablation done. It could change your life forever. Just know that it will take a month (I've read even up to 3 months) for your heart to heal so you may have a few thumps, bumps or even a little sinus tachycardia (but not an SVT) for a month or so. One more thing, I was very tired for the first 2 or 3 weeks. I would get tired in the middle of the afternoon when I worked and end up in bed early. But my energy is back now and I'm doing pilates and exercising. I started the pilates 6 weeks after surgery. I am very, very happy I did this. Do not let people on these boards scare you because we all have different types of SVT's and there are a lot of people on here that have A-Fib and that's a whole other ballgame so find a good electrophysiologists and they will tell you the right thing to do for you. They still don't have an ablation surgery for A-Fib that has a high success rate compared to other SVT's but they are working on it. Mine was 95 - 98% curable and I was told my surgery was very typical for AVNRT. The other thing I will always do is skip the caffeine, alcohol and cold medicine as I had to do in the past with AVNRT. Friends are saying, you can drink now and I won't because I appreciate having a strong heart after 20 years of AVNRT. If I could do without those things for 20 years I can do without them forever. I will never risk my heart with bad behaviors because I know what its like to have a heart issue being born with one and I'm sure not going to cause a new problem now that I'm most likely cured! It takes 6 months to know for sure but frankly I would have had one by now if it was going to happen as I was having 1 - 2 month. Beyond that, my heart just feels 100% different now, much more quiet. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

3dachs HB User

Thank you so much for the detailed response! My electrophysiologist at the University of Florida mentioned the ablation to me in 2003 but at that time I didn't want to act on it. I have SVT episodes sporadically--once every 3 months. Still, it is scary, I've had them since I was in 7th grade (almost 20 years!), and I'd like to be rid of the problem once and for all. He did not mention what type of SVT I had--but my latest was leaning toward what you had. I know they'll do an electrical mapping and find out for sure. Right now I'm suffering from some bouts of sinus tachycardia so I'm getting that checked out. Heart issues are scary and worrisome.

Closed Thread