It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User
Rapid Heartbeat

Sunday while in the bath, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I thought maybe it was due to the hot water. I got out and waited about 15 minutes and my pulse was 112 bpm. Monday I was diagnosed with pink eye and stayed home Monday and Tuesday. I didn't really notice my heart pounding any more. Then yesterday morning, my resting heart rate was 90. Last night until now it is hovering around 120-130, and has gotten up to 160 at one point.

What would cause this sudden increase? My heartrate does increase when I am ill. I have a moderate sore throat and shaky/weak feeling, but no fever.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Rapid Heartbeat

My advice is to get to a doctor,and have some tests done.I have been on a Holter Monitor a couple of times,for 24 consecutive hours. I have also been on a monitor, where I had to phone in my heart recording data to a Columbia,Maryland,"lab". My
heart man would then let me know, what steps to take.I have Atrial Fibrillation,as do many thousands of others,and this condition can be helped by medication. I feel fine, 98 % of the time. Good luck...Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

When it acts up try to get to an ER and get an EKG run they can often tell on the EKG what type of rhythm problem you have. Or as the previous poster said go to an electrophysiologist or cardiologist and get a holter moniter done (only problem with the moniter is unless you have this problem a lot of the time it might not happen while you are wearing it, in my case I had to run to an ER while it was happening to get a diagnosis). All rhythm problems require different treatments. I had AVNRT for 20 years and in my case it was 95 -100 curable with an ablation and I had the surgery and now I'm pretty sure I'm cured 100%. Some conditions such as A-Fib need medication and are harder to cure with an ablation. If it's 100 - 130 it's probably sinus tachycardia and that has a lot of causes even anxiety, heart or other health issues. 160 - 220 or even higher an SVT. SVT's often start and stop abruptly. Sinus tachycardia can be more gradual. It's pretty much impossible to determine your own heart rate once it gets past 120 so you need to go and get that EKG done when it's acting up to get a correct reading as well as a diagnosis specific to you. Even a doctor on here couldn't diagnosis you accurately without an EKG. You may think it's going faster than it actually is, hard to know. Good luck, no worries a doctor can diagnosis it for you.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thank you. I went to urgent care on Thursday because my throat hurt so bad. I was diagnosed with strep throat. I had told the nurse I was worried about my heart rate. When she took my bp, my pulse was 106. She said it was high but nothing after that. It slipped my mind when the doc told me I had strep. That was a shock to me. As of today, my rate has fallen under 100. The only time I notice is going above is when I am ill. Even though it is lower, my hear sometimes pounds pretty hard though. Last night it was around 100 but I felt like it was going to jump out of my chest.

I will keep monitering it and go in if it gets high again.

Oh, my bp was 102/65. I really don't know what that means, but they didn't say anything about it. I have never had a problem with my blood pressure.

Last edited by blue_eyed_girl; 04-17-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: BP

Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

Yes, it's probably just from being sick. 106 is not that high. An SVT would require a minimum of 140 but it's often 180 or 220 for an SVT. You blood pressure is fine. I wouldn't worry about your heart anymore - just the strep throat! Take Care.

Closed Thread