It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

sam061 HB User
Afib Question

I have had afib for a long time. I am 66 and it started back in my early 40's.

I had a AV ablation in 98. So I am pm dependent. One year ago I had only 3
episodes. I had Bruce Protocol stress test and two weeks later I had my pm test. I was told I had 10 episodes in the last 6 months. The stress test was early part of Feb.

I had been walking at 4mph/30 minutes before the stress test. I was walking at around 3.4mph/30min and I would fall asleep in the afternoon. I called my cardiologist and he told me to stay at 3.4 then when the falling asleep in the after stopped increase to 3.5. Now I began today at 3.9mph. It really whipped me.

I was told from the stress test I had no significant heart disease. I was told before 1998 that my ventricles were mildly enlarged, but not to worry about it. When I asked him about it he just said, "So!"

I asked about them at my stress test follow up, but he said they were fine. I get pretty anxious about all of this. He wants me to get back to walking at 4mph/30min. The pm is set at high end of 120 beat. Before I took the stress test it was 103. During that stress test it would not increase to 120. They gave me some injection and then it went to 16-118. Oh, I was told my EF was 69. I was a runner when all of this started. I just wondered some of your thoughts on this. I seem to get tired faster now. I also lift 5lb weights (3 sets) on the days I don't walk. Some days I feel fine and others I have episodes where I just get weak walking around the stores.- Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Afib Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam061 View Post
I have had afib for a long time. I am 66 and it started back in my early 40's.
Similar to me, only, back then, in addition to the AFib I was also diagnosed with Diastolic Heart Failure. Although I have AFib 24 hours per day, permanently, it is kept under control, more or less, by Digoxin. Most of the time I am not aware that my heart is in AFib.

Quote:
I was told from the stress test I had no significant heart disease. I was told before 1998 that my ventricles were mildly enlarged, but not to worry about it. When I asked him about it he just said, "So!"
Do you know the measurements of your ventricles? Are your atriums also enlarged? Any valve damage? It's all related, IMHO.

I would be concerned if I was told that my ventricles were mildly enlarged. In fact, my left ventricle wall has some thickening, and that concerned me.

The important thing, to me, is to take the necessary steps to get the heart to get progressively better, rather than progressively worse. Hearts that are enlarged, especially at our age, tend to get progressively worse, rather than better, unless proper and effective steps are taken ASAP.

Quote:
Some days I feel fine and others I have episodes where I just get weak walking around the stores.- Sam
As I've mentioned, I've got Heart Failure in addition to the AFib. In fact, in my case I've also got Insulin Resistance, Asthma and Immune System Dysfunction which severely restricts me.

That said, the main symptom, when I get weak walking around the stores, or just anywhere, is my heart not beating well. Usually it's when my heart is beating weakly, regardless of whether it's beating slow or fast.

Do you know how well your heart is beating when you get tired or fatigued? Do you ever check your blood pressure at the stores when you are fatigued or very tired?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-21-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
(male)

sam061 HB User

What do you do to take care of yourself? I don't think the doctor tells me everything because of fear of upsetting me.

I did see on his computer that my left ventricle was decreased.

I also take metformin, digoxin, and Rythmol.

This is short for I always get timed out. Thanks for any help. - Sam

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
What do you do to take care of yourself?
I have an existing post about the steps that I have taken that have greatly improved my Heart Failure, Blood Pressure, AFib, Insulin Resistance, and my overall health, in a thread named: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The direct link, which can be copied and pasted into the browser window is:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

sam061 HB User

You are simply amazing. Even I don't have congestive heart failure (never had problems with anything except weakness. Do you do any aerobic exercise?

I used to use ten pound weights, but am now using five pound. I am pacemaker dependent so I don't do pushups. After I had this last Bruce protocol stress test it is taking me for ever to get back to the levels i was. This test was two months ago. If I over do it, I fall asleep in the afternoon. He tells me I don't have heart failure,
but my life style is not what it used to be. I don't have near the conditions you do. I also have diabetes II. It's under control and have no symptoms as yet. I am not a huge fellow. I weigh around 160lbs.

With your exercising what happens when you over do it? Also I don't understand how strength training would be as good as aerobic.

You and I could almost be brothers with what we have. Thanks so much for responding. I think I have a little depression also. Just the thought of getting older makes so. Thanks again for responding. - Sam

Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
You are simply amazing.
Thanks! My Cardiologists thinks so too. He goes to conferences where he "showcases" my case, as a Heart Failure patient who is doing quite well after 23 years, which he credits to the medications that he has me on. He has no idea of which meds I take, and what I have done to survive my chronic diseases as well as I have. But...... he is a nice, kindly, caring man, so I would not do anything to spoil his day.

Quote:
Even I don't have congestive heart failure (never had problems with anything except weakness.
How often do you experience weakness? When you do feel weak, do you take your blood pressure? Is your heart beating weakly, or erratic, when you are weak, either fast or slow?

I usually feel pretty damn good, but if I consume too many calories for my metabolism, or if I encounter an "irritant", it will make me feel weak, sometimes for many hours.

Quote:
Do you do any aerobic exercise?
I've recently reduced my exercise load. I am now doing 2-3 sets of exercises. A set consists of 140 steps, 60 curls (two 10 pound hand weights), 30 lifts, and 15 pushups. We also do two 30 minute power walks per day.

Quote:
I used to use ten pound weights, but am now using five pound. I am pacemaker dependent so I don't do pushups.
What caused you to cut back to 5 pounds?

How does the pacemaker stop you from doing pushups?

Quote:
After I had this last Bruce protocol stress test it is taking me for ever to get back to the levels i was. This test was two months ago. If I over do it, I fall asleep in the afternoon.
That is a puzzling statement. It's difficult to understand how a physical workout (stress test) could impact someone for two months?

Do you fall asleep because you get very sleepy, or because you feel tired and fatigued? Do you have any other symptoms at that time, such as an erratic heartbeat, over-sweating, swelling, mental confusion, breathing difficulties, etc.?

Quote:
He tells me I don't have heart failure,
but my life style is not what it used to be. I don't have near the conditions you do.
Do you think that your diet could have anything to do with how you feel?

I am 100% convinced that inappropriate diets cause more misery and health problems than any other single cause. Many think that they are on a healthy diet, but many aren't. A healthy diet must be a diet with a good balance of carbs, fats and proteins; and appropriate levels of calories. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to diet. The metabolism of each one of us has different demands and requirements. Most doctors, nutritionists and patients wrongly just go by the book, IMHO.

Quote:
I also have diabetes II. It's under control and have no symptoms as yet.
How do you know it is under control? If you are lacking strength, the ability to exercise and falling asleep, how can you say that you have no symptoms of Diabetes II?

What types of blood sugar readings do you get either fasting, one hour after starting a meal, or two hours after starting a meal?

What types of blood pressure readings do you get throughout the day, especially at night?

Quote:
I am not a huge fellow. I weigh around 160lbs.
I am 5'9" and weigh between 122-129 pounds, depending upon the time of day.

Quote:
With your exercising what happens when you over do it?
If my heart is not doing well enough to do exercise, I'll have breathing problems, which can last all day.

If my blood pressure is too low, I'll wait until it gets back to, at least 115/70 before I do any exercise (except the power walk, which I can do at anytime).

I usually do two sets of exercises early in the morning, before I eat, if I can. The moment that I start getting shortness of breath, I stop, and wait until later to continue. I never exercise within an hour after I eat, and usually wait at least 90 minutes.

Quote:
Also I don't understand how strength training would be as good as aerobic.
I do strength training because Type I Diabetics, on HealthBoards, swear by it. To me, any exercise is good. But, I want maximum benefit for my Insulin Resistance, so I do some lifts and curls.

Quote:
You and I could almost be brothers with what we have. Thanks so much for responding.
My pleasure. A lot of the things that I have learned, and have changed my lifestyle, and greatly improved my health, have been learned through reading the experiences, and through conversations with other members of Healthboards. Healthboards has been my Healthcare System. I have relied on what I have learned on Healthboards more than I have to my own doctors and Cardiologists. At least the members of HealthBoards have more time to share than the highly paid, and less caring healthcare professionals.

Quote:
I think I have a little depression also. Just the thought of getting older makes so. Thanks again for responding. - Sam
I am getting close to 70, and time doesn't seem to be slowing down. It is flying by! Being this old is a little depressing. I also live in a pseudo "bubble" environment. In order to feel good, have a reasonable quality of life, and live to fight another day, I've got to watch and limit everything that I eat and everything that I come into contact with, and stay two steps ahead of my Cardiologist.

For instance, the new plastics and microfibers cause my heart to go nuts, gives me breathing problems, and raises my blood pressure. We've got to be very careful of anything that we buy. I hate it when I have to replace something. So..... not only do I find getting older a little depressing, the same as you, I HATE my limitations, which constantly test my coping skills. I've got to constantly focus on the good parts of life and not the bad parts.

Anyways...... sorry about the long response, and getting off track.

Take care..... Have a nice day!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-26-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
(male)

sam061 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Thanks! My Cardiologists thinks so too. He goes to conferences where he "showcases" my case, as a Heart Failure patient who is doing quite well after 23 years, which he credits to the medications that he has me on. He has no idea of which meds I take, and what I have done to survive my chronic diseases as well as I have. But...... he is a nice, kindly, caring man, so I would not do anything to spoil his day.

How often do you experience weakness? When you do feel weak, do you take your blood pressure? Is your heart beating weakly, or erratic, when you are weak, either fast or slow? Possibly once or twice a day. For the most part I feel good.

I usually feel pretty damn good, but if I consume too many calories for my metabolism, or if I encounter an "irritant", it will make me feel weak, sometimes for many hours.

I've recently reduced my exercise load. I am now doing 2-3 sets of exercises. A set consists of 140 steps, 60 curls (two 10 pound hand weights), 30 lifts, and 15 pushups. We also do two 30 minute power walks per day. === I walk and am up to 3.9mph/30min

What caused you to cut back to 5 pounds? I don't know, but ten pounds is just too much. I had to start over after that BP stress test. I am up to 3 sets, 9 lifts per set

How does the pacemaker stop you from doing pushups? -- I am pm dependable. If one of the wires breaks I out of here for good. It just scares me a bit.

That is a puzzling statement. It's difficult to understand how a physical workout (stress test) could impact someone for two months? Read about Bruce Protocol stress test. Very demanding.

Do you fall asleep because you get very sleepy, or because you feel tired and fatigued? Do you have any other symptoms at that time, such as an erratic heartbeat, over-sweating, swelling, mental confusion, breathing difficulties, etc.? None of the others. The doctor told me stay at the same level until it stops and then go up 1mph on the treadmill.

Do you think that your diet could have anything to do with how you feel?

I am 100% convinced that inappropriate diets cause more misery and health problems than any other single cause. Many think that they are on a healthy diet, but many aren't. A healthy diet must be a diet with a good balance of carbs, fats and proteins; and appropriate levels of calories. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to diet. The metabolism of each one of us has different demands and requirements. Most doctors, nutritionists and patients wrongly just go by the book, IMHO. ---- I follow a died. I eat no junk food. I suppose I don't know to follow.

How do you know it is under control? If you are lacking strength, the ability to exercise and falling asleep, how can you say that you have no symptoms of Diabetes II? I was speaking of the basic symptoms. problems with feet, thirst, urination, etc.

What types of blood sugar readings do you get either fasting, one hour after starting a meal, or two hours after starting a meal? Usually 165 after two hours. Most of the time it 76-140. I was told to check before meals.

What types of blood pressure readings do you get throughout the day, especially at night? They bounce all over the place, but normally around 139/80 pulse in the 80;s

I am 5'9" and weigh between 122-129 pounds, depending upon the time of day.

If my heart is not doing well enough to do exercise, I'll have breathing problems, which can last all day.

If my blood pressure is too low, I'll wait until it gets back to, at least 115/70 before I do any exercise (except the power walk, which I can do at anytime). Can you feel when it's low?

I usually do two sets of exercises early in the morning, before I eat, if I can. The moment that I start getting shortness of breath, I stop, and wait until later to continue. I never exercise within an hour after I eat, and usually wait at least 90 minutes. I never get short of breath. My last O/2 check it was 96.

I do strength training because Type I Diabetics, on HealthBoards, swear by it. To me, any exercise is good. But, I want maximum benefit for my Insulin Resistance, so I do some lifts and curls.

My pleasure. A lot of the things that I have learned, and have changed my lifestyle, and greatly improved my health, have been learned through reading the experiences, and through conversations with other members of Healthboards. Healthboards has been my Healthcare System. I have relied on what I have learned on Healthboards more than I have to my own doctors and Cardiologists. At least the members of HealthBoards have more time to share than the highly paid, and less caring healthcare professionals.

I am getting close to 70, and time doesn't seem to be slowing down. It is flying by! Being this old is a little depressing. I also live in a pseudo "bubble" environment. In order to feel good, have a reasonable quality of life, and live to fight another day, I've got to watch and limit everything that I eat and everything that I come into contact with, and stay two steps ahead of my Cardiologist.

For instance, the new plastics and microfibers cause my heart to go nuts, gives me breathing problems, and raises my blood pressure. We've got to be very careful of anything that we buy. I hate it when I have to replace something. So..... not only do I find getting older a little depressing, the same as you, I HATE my limitations, which constantly test my coping skills. I've got to constantly focus on the good parts of life and not the bad parts.

Anyways...... sorry about the long response, and getting off track.-- No problem

Take care..... Have a nice day!
-Thanks again.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-26-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Closed Thread