It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

Lesley998 HB User
Left Bundle Branch Block and terrified

Hi all.

Ten years ago I had a major cardiac 'episode' which saw me end up flat on my back in Coronary Care for two weeks, (long story...I was only 38, and complaining of severe palpitations and extremely odd heart rate with occasional fainting spells. GP diagnosed anxiety and would not even listen to my heart, just gave me Prozac. He apologised to me in hospital afterward. )

Anyway, all hell broke loose in the CU. My ECG showed an MI but the cardiac enzymes were clear. They did an angiogram, fully expecting heart disease or a blocked artery...but it was completely clear and my echo was normal. (Later on I also passed a treadmill stress test. ) While wired up, I had a constant 'extreme prolongation; of the QT, oh and something wrong with the 'QRS' pattern too. (Didn't understand the QRS thing then, and still don't!) My cardiologist told me then (and still tells me now) that I had them stumped; according to the ECG I should have been in constant pain and never once had a chest twinge. I have never had chest pain. Eventually they thought that the problems were electrical in nature, and could have been caused by an adverse reaction to a drug - I was given IV Ciprofloxacin (quinolone) after an operation on my leg three months before the heart problem occurred. Apparently this drug can cause sudden and often fatal arrythmias so I guess I got off lightly. Anyway, going back to ten years ago - I slowly got back to normal after getting home and was on Propranolol for a couple of months, and then I recovered to a point where it was like it never happened. Until now.
I had some odd palpitations again in October, so I went back to the doc. He put me back to the cardiologist...and I now find have a 'new' left bundle branch block pattern on my ECG. He wouldn't really tell me much about it, just said it was unusual in a woman of my age without heart disease, but he did say that I may need a pacemaker. I was given a holter that day which showed nothing, and am scheduled for a seven day event monitor next week. I also have to have a chemical or nulcear stress test as the LBBB confuses the results of a treadmill test apparently. Of course I came home and googled LBBB and have now terrified myself. Everything I read is just horrible - wish I had not looked at prognosis and statistics! My own GP and I had a long chat and he said the LBBB was probably caused by scarring/damage from ten years ago, and it would probably be nothing to worry about, but I just keep thinking I am going to drop dead and have really got myself worked up. I guess a lot of you know how that feels. Does anyone else know more about LBBB? I would be grateful for your input.

many thanks

Last edited by Lesley998; 04-21-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread