It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

PAUSA HB User
PAC's and PVC's question

Hi everyone

I'm a 26 year old female that has had PAC's and PVC's off and on for about the past 10 or so years. They started when I had my first anxiety attack in high school. I went to the ER immediately and the Dr. there checked me out, gave me a clean bill of health and said it was an anxiety attack and to follow up with my PCP. I did that and he put me on Zoloft for anxiety disorder. I did notice that the palpitations went away, but then again I wasn't looking for them really.

Over the years they seem to come and go and will be worse for a while and then subside or completely go away for months at a time. I am currently not on any medication and haven't been for years. My doctor did give me Xanax (.25 mgs) as needed for anxiety because I have been diagnosed with GAD. Anyway, I've been to the cardiologist numerous times and had three 24 hour Holter monitors on just last year alone, had two or three EKG's last year and one this year and had a Stress Echo treadmill test about two or three years ago now. All came back perfectly normal except for PAC's and PVC's occasionally.

The reason I'm writing this today though is because for the past 6 weeks I've had palpitations about everyday at random times here or there. That's unusual for me to have them that long. I called my cardiologist and they said that structularly my heart is fine and there aren't any abnormalities. I also went to the ER a few weeks ago because I thought my heart was beating weird and they had me on a monitor and said everything was fine and to take my Xanax since I never do. THESE PALPS ARE SCARY no matter how many times people tell me I'm fine !! I'm very grateful to not have anything wrong, but is that normal to go from having NO palps for months to having them more frequently for the past 6 or so weeks?

I avoid caffeine and decongestants and don't over do sugar or starches. Can stress and generalized anxiety disorder cause more palps even when I'm not feeling anxious? I'm not sure. I'd like opinions from other people who deal with palpitations. Thanks for taking the time to listen to me and help me out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: PAC's and PVC's question

One thought. Not sure what your diet is like but I am a vegetarian and I eat small meals throughout the day. I swear that help's PAC's espicially the smaller meals. I have PAC's because I had AVNRT. I'm not quite sure how that all works but with my problem anytime I got a lot of PAC's it would often lead that day to an SVT (had an ablation 2 months ago and I seem to get less PAC's now and the SVT's seem cured - woohoo). But my diet has become really good and that seems to be connected to the PAC's. Electrophysiologist said just because my AVNRT was cured I would still have PAC's but I don't really have many anymore. But I believe food allergies could be a cause. Just a theory but it would be interesting if you looked into it a little more. Maybe an allergist or a physician with a little more alternative knowledge could help you. I don't know if PAC's or PVC's can be caused by stress. I know that non SVT tachycardia can. I guess it's possible though because when we are stressed the heart reacts most likely in a negative way where we are weak. Best Wishes.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: PAC's and PVC's question

I've experienced similar improvements to PACs, PVCs, Tachycardias and Blood Pressure by going on a diet very similar to lltomich's diet.

I used to eat seven low calorie, high fiber, low glycemic, small meals per day, but since my Heart Rhythm and Blood Pressure and other health problems have improved quite a bit, I now do five low calorie, high fiber, low glycemic, larger meals per day.

To me, an appropriate, healthy diet is the best "medicine" that anyone can take, for ANY health problems, not just for Heart Rhythm problems such as PACs and PVCs.

I also agree with lltomich that allergies play a role in creating or worsening PAC's and PVC's, and other Heart Rhythm problems. The clue to that is that medications try to suppress or block the body's reaction to allergens or irritants. Beta Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, Angiotensin II Blockers (ARBS), and on and on and on, all have one thing in common. They all block or inhibit the actions of over-active, or over-reactive body hormones.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread