It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Tina Beauregard HB User
Question Is it normal to feel scared after a heart attack.

Hi everyone. I had a heart attack 2 years ago. I am still realy scared to go to sleep, or do anything overexerting. My mother passed at 51 from a heart attack, and being 46 I am scared. I don't know what to do or think anymore. Does anyone else feel like this?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User
Re: Is it normal to feel scared after a heart attack.

Hi Tina, I feel the same way you do. This fear of dying of a heart attack is consuming my quality of life. And being on the computer reading about this makes it worse. I go thru spells of not going into my bed to sleep and stay up later than I should losing sleep. I did not have a heart attack, but had an 80% blockage in one of my arteries and needed a stent. Now every little bump or thump I feel in my heart sends me into a panic. And with all the pros and cons of stenting i'm really nervous. I drive everyone crazy around me, crying and feeling like i'm going to die on the spot. This is very normal though. And alot of people with heart issues go thru the same thing. Now whenever I feel scared I take a xanax and that helps to calm my fears, somewhat. What we need is to get a grip on ourselves and talk to a professional to help work us thru this. Laray

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laray721 View Post
Hi Tina, I feel the same way you do. This fear of dying of a heart attack is consuming my quality of life. And being on the computer reading about this makes it worse. I go thru spells of not going into my bed to sleep and stay up later than I should losing sleep. I did not have a heart attack, but had an 80% blockage in one of my arteries and needed a stent. Now every little bump or thump I feel in my heart sends me into a panic. And with all the pros and cons of stenting i'm really nervous. I drive everyone crazy around me, crying and feeling like i'm going to die on the spot. This is very normal though. And alot of people with heart issues go thru the same thing. Now whenever I feel scared I take a xanax and that helps to calm my fears, somewhat. What we need is to get a grip on ourselves and talk to a professional to help work us thru this. Laray

Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

Yes...yes...yes...very normal. it's 3 years for me since I had a stent put in my LAD and sometimes I still get sad and think why me. If I get a strange feeling in my chest I automatically "think is this it"? Take your meds.....eat healthy...exercise......and thank God for every day you have on this earth.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

I had pulmonary edema, which mimiced congestive heart failure, not a heart attack, but everyone around me keeps saying it is very easy to become a cardiac cripple and they keep saying if I need counseling, it is not unheard of. I did have to go on an anxiety pill to get to sleep but so far don't feel the need for counseling, but if you do, go for it. I think it is really common to get fearful after these kind of things.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
(male)

drumwall HB User

Its a very emotional thing to go through Tina. I had heart attack 3 months ago and still have a few 'moments' when i think something is not right. But i have went back to work which i started with a few days and increased it when i thought i felt ok. I am now back full time with my personal thought of ' it's not going to keep me down'. I still feel very tired etc, but thats normal after 12 weeks taking it easy. My doc explained to me in that time my fitness was rock bottom. Even though i regularly rode bicycle for 50 miles, went to gym etc. It takes time to recover and gain your confidence and fitness back. I found 90% was mental the other 10% denial. Once i got round the idea i was not disabled or finished. At the early stages i thought that. I done gentle exercise, got palpitations etc. Sat down and thought ' here we go again'. Then i thought wait a minute, there is no pain so keep going. I had my spray bottle in my hand though. So far i am looking at my heart attack as a nuisance that has been treated. But it won't stop me living my life. i know right now i can't run marathon etc but i will get some semblance of fitness back. I still have very low and sad feeling moments when i think of what happened. Then reason why i have them is because i think people look at you different and thus treat you different.

Closed Thread