It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
(male)

0153colin HB User
heart racing when trying to fall asleep

I am so glad to realise I am not alone with this problem, I have had multiple 24 hour ECG monitors done, everytime I was asked if I was doing exercise to produce the rapid increase in heart beats, who excercises at midnight ? The ECG's also showed that my heart rate increased even during sleep, these were quickly dismissed as I must of been having a bad dream, then down the road of was there any stress going on at the moment blah blah blah, then they sent me for an echo at my local hospital to check the valve functions of my heart, & also to check my heart was the correct size, this showed that my heart was perfect & functioning normally. I was then sent for a cardio exam in which I had to run on treadmill while it was increasing in climb to check my heart & pulse as well as my BP, once again the result were completely & utterly fine.

During the conversation the doctor asked me one of the most stupid questions (I know he was only trying to help )

Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User
Re: heart racing when trying to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0153colin View Post
I am so glad to realise I am not alone with this problem, I have had multiple 24 hour ECG monitors done, everytime I was asked if I was doing exercise to produce the rapid increase in heart beats, who excercises at midnight ? The ECG's also showed that my heart rate increased even during sleep, these were quickly dismissed as I must of been having a bad dream, then down the road of was there any stress going on at the moment blah blah blah, then they sent me for an echo at my local hospital to check the valve functions of my heart, & also to check my heart was the correct size, this showed that my heart was perfect & functioning normally. I was then sent for a cardio exam in which I had to run on treadmill while it was increasing in climb to check my heart & pulse as well as my BP, once again the result were completely & utterly fine.

During the conversation the doctor asked me one of the most stupid questions (I know he was only trying to help )
If I have a bad dream I wake up and my heart is racing. I also can make myself get anxious by thinking about negative thoughts. I have to pray real hard at night to have a good night's sleep or I will have disturbing dreams. So I pray and trust my Lord Jesus that I will have a good and restful night. I do need to take medicine every night. But the day will come when I won't need the meds anymore.

Take care.
LMF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

I used to have this problem. The way I got rid of it? I increased my physical activity and now workout vigorously 2 hours a day. It's like working out lowers your heart rate in general and now I sleep like a baby. I did have AVNRT but that was cured through surgery so I know what a fast heart rate is with AVNRT mine was 240 sometimes for hours but when your heart races when falling or during sleep it's around 90 - 110 and frankly that's not very high! Espicially when you have experienced a heart rate for many hours around 240. Also, diet. Eat less sugar, white carbs, and don't eat at night that type of stuff will increase heart rate when you lie down. If you eat after 5 PM, it could be your stomach raising the heart rate when you lie flat. It might not even be your heart. Bottom line - the fitter and healthier you are the better for your heart, mind and body. Working out will get your heart in great condition and it won't race anymore. There are loads of posts on these boards about sinus tachycardia and I think often it's lifestyle or even gastrointestinal. Of course check with your doctor as they say before exercising. I'm the nutty one that had heart surgery for AVNRT the end of Feb and started working out 2 hours a day early April at age 51 without a doctors OK! Too late now, I'm now working out 2 - 3 hours a day...I also lost almost 30 pounds since early April and I feel awesome! Take care all.

Last edited by lltomich; 07-01-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lltomich View Post
I used to have this problem. The way I got rid of it? I increased my physical activity and now workout vigorously 2 hours a day. It's like working out lowers your heart rate in general and now I sleep like a baby. I did have AVNRT but that was cured through surgery so I know what a fast heart rate is with AVNRT mine was 240 sometimes for hours but when your heart races when falling or during sleep it's around 90 - 110 and frankly that's not very high! Espicially when you have experienced a heart rate for many hours around 240. Also, diet. Eat less sugar, white carbs, and don't eat at night that type of stuff will increase heart rate when you lie down. If you eat after 5 PM, it could be your stomach raising the heart rate when you lie flat. It might not even be your heart. Bottom line - the fitter and healthier you are the better for your heart, mind and body. Working out will get your heart in great condition and it won't race anymore. There are loads of posts on these boards about sinus tachycardia and I think often it's lifestyle or even gastrointestinal. Of course check with your doctor as they say before exercising. I'm the nutty one that had heart surgery for AVNRT the end of Feb and started working out 2 hours a day early April at age 51 without a doctors OK! Too late now, I'm now working out 2 - 3 hours a day...I also lost almost 30 pounds since early April and I feel awesome! Take care all.
Those are great news!!! I'm glad you are doing so well your advice to everyone here is so appreciated. I definitely think working out helps us with all those late night jitters and flutters and thumps and everything else. I agree eating late can really mess you up at night. 240 is a scary heart rate! Take care and keep up the good work and i'm very happy your surgery went well.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
(male)

sundram255 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfamily924 View Post
Those are great news!!! I'm glad you are doing so well your advice to everyone here is so appreciated. I definitely think working out helps us with all those late night jitters and flutters and thumps and everything else. I agree eating late can really mess you up at night. 240 is a scary heart rate! Take care and keep up the good work and i'm very happy your surgery went well.
This is for those who are experiencing irregular heart beat & rapid pulse rate. All underlying problems lies in the way we breath, breath is life & one should know how to control consciously. Most of the times we forget this breath & breathe unconsciously. Follow the below method, it helps to lower the ragin hearts.

Inhale for 4seconds, hold in stomach for 8seconds, exhale for 8seconds(4/8/8). Inhale less stale oxygen, exhale more of carbon dioxide. This will help tremendously. As you have practised regularly, try to increase the ratio to 4/12/12, 4/16/16 & more. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0153colin View Post
... The ECG's also showed that my heart rate increased even during sleep,
I don't understand why doctors are not able to link the connection between allergies and heart rate/rhythm!?

Most heart medications try to block or inhibit hormones originating in the Adrenals. It is an Adrenergic reaction to external stimulation. When the adrenals start pumping out hormones, it causes problems for heart rate, for blood pressure and for Immune System Disorders.

Where is one of the worst places for allergies or external stimulants? The evil, dastardly BED!!!

Quote:
these were quickly dismissed as I must of been having a bad dream,
Such clowns, huh?

Quote:
then down the road of was there any stress going on at the moment blah blah blah
I wonder if your doctors had any patients that lived?

Quote:
... once again the result were completely & utterly fine.
The heart is an extremely tough organ. It has to be. It has to beat zillions of times per year faithfully, every second, every minute of the day. It takes years for the excess chemicals/hormones of the adrenals to do damage.

The best approach now, would be to live a healthy life, with a healthy diet and exercise, in order to limit expected future problems resulting from years of excess adrenal activity.

Medications, such as Beta Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers, ARBs, etc., can limit the excesses of the adrenals, but they come with nasty and sometimes debilitating side effects. Better to diet and exercise and avoid irritants and Adrenal triggers, rather than take one of these nasty medications, huh?

Quote:
Think of it on the bright side. At least your doctor did not decide to become and auto mechanic instead. In that case, he could have really messed up your car, and that would have been a serious situation!

Regards, and best of luck!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-23-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Closed Thread