It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

liongirl29 HB User
Smile Verapamil and Sleep Deprivation?

Hi there! This may not be the proper place to post this question, but I'll start here.

I am looking for some answers and hoping that someone may have input on my situation or have had a similar experience.

I began taking Verapamil ER 100mg 1x per day at the end of January. Prior to that I had been on Bystolic for about 5 months for heart palpitations. I was taken off the Bystolic as I was having sleep problems leading to severe sleep deprivation. I began to feel better in about a week and my sleep improved for about 6 weeks. In the interim I was prescribed the Verapamil. During that 6 week of energy I had, the Verapamil wasn't very effective and I was still having palps, but felt great otherwise. At about 6 wks, the Verapamil started really working to control those, but I then noticed a similar problem starting like what I had with the Bystolic: feeling sleep deprived no matter how much sleep I get, racoon eyes, early morning awakening. I am not drowsy like the effect of Metoprolol per se, it is more of a bug-eyed, wired tired feeling. I now feel like this every day (again), and my functioning is severely messed up because of this.

Could Verapamil be the culprit here? I am confused as I thought the Bystolic was causing the problem, and it is a beta blocker. However, Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker and it doesn't work the same in the body.....

If anybody has some words of advice, that would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread