It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Is this a normal heart rate?

I was walking around in Wally World today, and at a slow pace because I'm not feeling well. My asthma's been acting up and I was recently put on a nebulizer. This is because of my allergies, with the pollen count being very high and I don't have the money for a controller medication. And, I am still recovering from major surgery of about 5 months ago (strangulated hernia and blocked intestine). Because of my asthma and allergies, and also because I am trying to lose weight, I oftentimes go to the store to get exercise, even if I don't have to buy much.

Anyway, I went to the pharmacy and checked my bp and heart rate. My bp was a little high, which is normal for me after I've been walking, even if I'm not walking that fast. It was around 140/88 or so. My heart rate, however, was 108. I never noticed it being that high before....but then again, I'm a large person and those cuffs are small. And, how accurate are those store bp centers anyway?

So I checked a couple of more times to be on the safe side. My bp did come down to normal, but my heart rate remained higher than I'm used to. It went from 108 down to 104, and then 99. When I got home, I used a friend's portable bp machine and my heart rate was around 100, but a few minutes later it dropped down to 86, which is right around where it normally is.....and this was after climbing treacherous stairs and being in his very smoky apartment (I don't smoke and am allergic to tobacco).

So, is this something for me to worry about? I've had false alarms with my heart and am overweight, and my family has a history of heart disease. My mom died at the age of 58 because of a major heart attack. I passed my last stress test and echo (nuclear, and this was last year) with flying colors, although my cardiologist said if I continue having chest pains - which I still get from time to time with my anxiety and GERD - he might do a catherization, but he didn't think it was necessary back then.

Btw, I placed the cuff around my wrist - both at Wally World and at my friend's house - because my arms are big. I know that the cuff size can affect the readings. I'm a diabetic, but so far it's under control. My a1c was 6.9 about a month ago, but that's probably due to my recent surgery, infection afterwards and the prednisone they had me on for that asthma.

Could it be my anxiety? I take valium as needed, which I did have this afternoon a couple of hours prior to checking my bp at the store. I used my nebulizer a couple of hours before that, just before leaving the house. I'd hate to give up my nebulizer if it's affecting my heart because I've been having alot of problems with this asthma.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

CindyB67 HB User
Re: Is this a normal heart rate?

Hmmm...not sure what to say to you, because for me that is what I normally run when I am doing Cardio Rehab and exercising pretty hard, and some times when I am doing nothing at all and that is acceptable for me, but I am on a bunch of medicines too for my heart and diabetes, so what might be ok for me because I have a heart history may not be ok for you. I would get checked out by a dr. if I was you.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB67 View Post
Hmmm...not sure what to say to you, because for me that is what I normally run when I am doing Cardio Rehab and exercising pretty hard, and some times when I am doing nothing at all and that is acceptable for me, but I am on a bunch of medicines too for my heart and diabetes, so what might be ok for me because I have a heart history may not be ok for you. I would get checked out by a dr. if I was you.
I have a cardiologist, who I see on an annual basis because of my weight and family history. So far I've not been diagnosed with heart disease. The only thing he noticed is that my heart is slightly enlarged, but that's because of my weight. He said there's nothing wrong with it.

Anyway, my annual checkup was supposed to be in a couple of weeks, but I had it moved up to this Friday. I did this for a couple of reasons - to get it over with (I always dread going there) and to have this nebulizer issue addressed. I hope he won't tell me to stop using the nebulizer or get a different medication for it that might be too expensive for me to use. I just can't seem to get my asthma under control, thanks to the high pollen count.

Lastly, I hope he won't say there's something wrong with my heart. I've had false alarms before, but with all the testing I've had done nothing's turned up. Yet. Like I said, the last time I saw him was last year.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

I am glad you are going to your Cardiologist. I too hope it is nothing, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I never knew you could have a Cardiologist without having an actual heart problem. I just figured they were there if you needed them and if not, you don't worry about them.

Just an for your information only thing, about a year before I had my pulmonary edema (cardiac event) which mimiced congestive heart failure, I suddenly developed asthma and all my breathing issues were always blamed on that, but now I think they were linked in some way to my heart. Because sure I would wheeze when I got a bad cold, but then the other times I would have issues like having bloody sputem was a sign on congestive heart failure, but I blamed that on my asthma and coughing too hard. Just something for you to be aware of as I always blamed it all on my asthma when it really was my heart. Most likely you do have asthma so not trying to worry you, just something that I never knew about until it was almost too late for me.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB67 View Post
I am glad you are going to your Cardiologist. I too hope it is nothing, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I never knew you could have a Cardiologist without having an actual heart problem. I just figured they were there if you needed them and if not, you don't worry about them.

Just an for your information only thing, about a year before I had my pulmonary edema (cardiac event) which mimiced congestive heart failure, I suddenly developed asthma and all my breathing issues were always blamed on that, but now I think they were linked in some way to my heart. Because sure I would wheeze when I got a bad cold, but then the other times I would have issues like having bloody sputem was a sign on congestive heart failure, but I blamed that on my asthma and coughing too hard. Just something for you to be aware of as I always blamed it all on my asthma when it really was my heart. Most likely you do have asthma so not trying to worry you, just something that I never knew about until it was almost too late for me.
Oh, yes.....I think it's a great idea to have a cardio md even though I haven't been diagnosed with heart trouble because of my weight and family history. With all the medical issues I've had over the years, I can't afford to let anything go. There were two specifically over the past 6 years that could have killed me if I didn't take care of them promptly. One was the mass over my uterus, which turned out to be a borderline cancer. Praise God the prognosis for that is excellent, but even if it weren't cancer, the size of the thing meant it was time for a hysterectomy.

Last November I had an incarcerated hernia and bowel obstruction. So, I learned to stay on top of things.

It's probably just a combination of stress and anxiety and the high pollen count. I had a death in the family just before I got sick last fall, and have been feuding with another relative since then. It's been one thing after another, and this could explain my high pulse rate, etc.

Btw, last year I had such problems with my asthma I had to go to the ER and they ran a bunch of tests....one of which was for congestive heart failure. I passed it, however, so it was just a flareup of the asthma.

I'll find out on Friday what my cardiologist says about all this and will pass it on. Thanks!

Closed Thread