It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
(male)

PS Fun Dude HB User
Echo Results May 6th 2010 Assistance

Hello,

Having reviewed some echo results on this board it seems a gargantuan chore to cut/paste relevant info to fit my own hence I am hoping to gain some insights prior to my appointment with Cardiology on the 24th of this month from those on this board, whom I thank, profusely, in advance!

My main concerns, at the moment, are in the areas of significant rather than marginal findings so that I may continue researching immediate treatment options insofar as medications, physical rehab, lifestyle restrictions...

Sadly, I believe that the info soon to be provided at my appointment is filtered. A filter put in place, out of necessity, by the legal department of my medical center. The treatment options offered are sure to be tailored to fit guide lines that, first and foremost, avoid potential litigation, rather than treatment that would fit my individual medical profile.

Since I am constantly being reminded that I am in charge of my own health care, regardless of my accepting treatments offered, I have chosen to research my options thoroughly prior to making treatment decisions for myself. This has worked for me over the last 20 years although never for anything as serious as a cardiac event.

I am 62, male Caucasian, 5' 11", 168 lbs, stable weight for at least 10 years, cholesterol variable from 120-160 over same period (Pritikin Clinic, 1998), resting pulse: 60-65, Resp: 18-19, BP: Moderate Hypertension controlled with Linsinopril for the last year. Quit smoking at age 30, began again at age 56, pack a day, average. Intend to quit within 10 days.

Here is an abbreviated listing of stated norms/abnorms (complete report follows):

May 2010 Echo Abbreviated (with some notes from 2004 echo):

Aortic valve is trileaflet.

Aortic valve leaflets are mildly thickened.
Left atrium is mildly dilated. *Mild enlargement in 2004)

Hypokinetic (Score 2) (All normal in 2004):

LV basal inferior segments.
LV mid inferior wall segments.
LV basal inferolateral segments.
LV mid inferolateral segments.
RV apex appears hypokinetic.

LV hypertrophy boarderline.

Mitral regurgitation mild (Trace in 2004)
Tricuspid regurgitation mild (Trace in 2004)
Pulmonic regurgitation trace

Mitral annular calcification-Trivial
Mitral valve leaflets appear myxomatous.
Mitral valve leaflets are mildly thickened.

Regional wall motion abnormalities.
Segmental wall motions abnormalities seen.

Apparently Normal:

There is no dilatation of the aortic root.
No evidence of aortic regurgitation.
No evidence of aortic stenosis.
There is no pericardial effusion.
The main pulmonary artery appears normal.
Inferior vena cava appears normal in size.
Inferior vena cava greater than 50% resp change dimension.
Left ventricle is normal size.
Left ventricle systolic function overall is normal.
Left ventricle ejection volume is 62%
Right ventricular cavity size is normal.
Right ventricular global systolic function is normal.

Here are the complete Impressions/Findings of my recent echocardiogram:

Impression
----------
1. The left ventricle is normal size.
2. Borderline left ventricular hypertrophy.
3. Segmental wall motions abnormalities seen.
4. Ejection fraction is 55-60%.
5. There is mild mitral regurgitation.
6. Estimated right ventricular systolic pressure is 30-35 mmHg.

Findings
----------
- Technical Comments: The study quality is fair.

- Left Ventricle: The left ventricle is normal size. Borderline left ventricular hypertrophy. Segmental wall motions abnormalities seen. Overall normal LV systolic function with regional wall motion abnormalities. Ejection fraction is 55-60%. The ejection fraction is 62% when calculated by Simpson's method. The basal inferolateral, basal inferior, mid inferolateral and mid inferior wall segments are hypokinetic (score 2). Overall wallmotion score index is 1.25

- Left Atrium: The left atrium is mildly dilated.

- Right Ventricle: The right ventricular cavity size is normal. The right ventricular global systolic function is normal. The RV apex appears hypokinetic.

- Aortic Valve: The aortic valve is trileaflet. The aortic valve leaflets are mildly thickened. There is no evidence of aortic regurgitation. There is no evidence of aortic stenosis.

- Mitral Valve: The mitral valve leaflets appear myxomatous. Trival mitral annular calcification The mitral valve leaflets are mildly thickened. There is mild mitral regurgitation.

- Tricuspid Valve: There is mild tricuspid regurgitation. Estimated right ventricular systolic pressure is 30-35 mmHg.

- Pulmonic Valve: There is trace pulmonic regurgitation present.

- Pericardium: There is no pericardial effusion.

- Aorta: There is no dilatation of the aortic root.

- Pulmonary Artery: The main pulmonary artery appears normal.

- Venous: The inferior vena cava appears normal in size. There is a greater than 50% respiratory change in the inferior vena cava dimension.

Thanks for any insights, pointers, caveats, etc!

Jim

Last edited by PS Fun Dude; 05-12-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added info from 2004 echo and an abbreviated list of abnormals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Echo Results May 6th 2010 Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Fun Dude View Post
... Since I am constantly being reminded that I am in charge of my own health care, regardless of my accepting treatments offered, I have chosen to research my options thoroughly prior to making treatment decisions for myself.
To me, in order to get the best quality care, we MUST be pro-active with our medical care. We cannot fully trust medical professionals to take the necessary time to thoroughly research our health problems, and provide to us a full diagnosis and best course of treatment. It will just NEVER happen, that is, unless we have the money to pay for the very best.

Quote:
Quit smoking at age 30, began again at age 56, pack a day, average. Intend to quit within 10 days.
Smoking is one of the worst things that you can do to your heart. The 100+ chemicals in the smoke play havoc on one's nervous system and metabolism.

Smoking, again, at age 56 isn't exactly what one would call pro-active in their own health care!

Quote:
Having reviewed some echo results on this board it seems a gargantuan chore to cut/paste relevant info to fit my own hence I am hoping to gain some insights prior to my appointment with Cardiology on the 24th of this month from those on this board, whom I thank, profusely, in advance!
I've been struggling with Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Insulin Resistance and Immune System problems for over 23 years. That said, I consider my echo results as critical information that allow me to be more pro-active.

I go through a clinic to get my Echocardiogram, without a prescription. I am the only one to get the FULL results. What is most important to me is the comparison of this year's echo against last year's echo, to see if my heart disease is getting progressively worse, progressively better, or staying the same. In fact, I am expecting my echo results in the mail any day now, for which I am excited about, and apprehensive about, both at the same time!

You fortunately have your 2004 echo to compare against your current echo. Unfortunately, your current echo does show some worsening of your heart disease.

Most concerning is that you have signs of beginning valve disease, enlargement of the left atrium and thickening of the left ventricle wall. Actually, IMHO, this is a warning shot over your bow, warning you to take better care of your heart.

I have much more advanced heart disease. I've been able to get progressively better over the past 23 years by not smoking, eating an extremely healthy diet, significant exercise, avoiding things that irritate my heart, limiting stress, getting on the most effective heart medication available, and keeping my blood pressure at very healthy levels 24 hours per day.

Medication is not the only answer to good heart health. Lifestyle changes have the most positive impact on heart disease, IMHO.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
(male)

Linkpad HB User
Re: Echo Results May 6th 2010 Assistance

Sigh, I have a severly leaking Tricuspid valve Mildly elevated Pressures, Mild RV dilation. And im only 26. Your not on the NHS are u ? NHS surgeons/cardoilogists don't seem to know what they are doing ive had some appalling NHS advice.

I think your own real concern is your Aortic Regurgitation which can lead to fatigue and AF, your best quiting smoking and avoid caffeine like the plague !! Do u take asparin ?

Closed Thread