It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

lionelsilva HB User
62 with heart rate of 45 and using Atenolol. Would like some input.

I have a low heart beat rate of 45 per min. I am 62 yrs old. I take Atenolol for high blood pressure. Please analize my condition.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Re: Low Heart Rate

Atenolol is a Beta Blocker and relaxes your heart which in turn makes it beat slower. If you are on it only for Higt Blood Pressure maybe you should ask the Dr for another blood pressure med that will not slow your heart rate. I was on Atenolol for years to slow my heart rate but was also on a different medication to lower my blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: 62 with heart rate of 45 and using Atenolol. Would like some input.

I just had to change my meds because my heart rate was going too slow at times. My doc said it should not go below 60.

Check with your doctor and ask at what point you need to either change the dose or the drug. Seems way too low to me.

Jen

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Is that a resting rate, or the rate when you are moving around?

45-50 is a good resting rate.

However- if you feel short of breath, really tired, or faint, then it's probably dropping your heart rate too low. And if it's going that slow when you are being active, that's too slow. Your heart can't adequately feed your cells with oxygen when you're being active if it's beating that slow, and that would make you feel out of breath or tired.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
(male)

sico HB User

Bradicardia is a HB below 50. Could cause blood clots to form in older people. Good HB for his age is about 75-80.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-19-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sico View Post
Bradicardia is a HB below 50. Could cause blood clots to form in older people. Good HB for his age is about 75-80.
At rest? I have to respectfully disagree. However, none of us are doctors. He should consult his physician, who would also know his risk for clots, etc. It's all individual and I don't think that making generalizations based on age is the way to do it. It should be more about his current physical condition and overall health than his age, as some seniors become sedentary and some stay quite active and how they are treated as a patient should reflect that as opposed to just treating all people of a certain age the same. As an example, a co-worker of mine is 65 and his resting heart rate is between 48 and 52. He works out a few times a week. My Dad, who is 78, has a resting heart rate in the 50's. He also works out at the gym a few times a week. I am certain both of them would disagree that an optimum resting heart rate should be over 70.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 05-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
(male)

chiefy HB User

hey m8 i also take Atenolol and my heart rate gets as low as 36bpm.... its not a problem, im under one of the top cardiologist in australia, and i freaked a bit when i seen how low in was getting, but he said it wasnt a problem at all.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sico View Post
Actually, Bradycardia is a heart rate below 60, not 50. You are correct in that the potential for blood clots increase with bradycardia. It's one of the reasons people get pacemakers.

The cardiologists I work with are concerned with heart rates below 60.

Closed Thread