It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

almospau HB User
warning signs of heart attack or anxiety?

Hi,
I'd like to know what the differences are between the early signs of heart attack in women, and anxiety attacks?
I am a relatively healthy woman, but overweight, and have gone to the doctor for chest pain and hyperventilation. It turns out that I was having an acute anxiety attack, even though I felt like I was dying!
I know I am at risk, being overweight, and I am taking steps to better myself. How can I tell the difference? I also have frequent heartburn and take tums almost regularly. Whats up with me??

Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

Vintage Wine HB User
Re: warning signs of heart attack or anxiety?

First, see a gastroenterologist about your constant heartburn.

Is another doctor treating your anxiety?

I used to have horrible chest pains as a child and they were due to anxiety but I remember vividly how awful the pain was! *shudders*.

I've heard that when women have a heart attack, there is jaw pain, indigestion and sometimes, or an unbearable, excruciating headache. It differs with each person.

Have your heart checked regularly by a cardiologist, anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: warning signs of heart attack or anxiety?

Unfortunately, a panic attack can resemble nearly all the symptoms of a heart attack. I suffer from panic attacks and on several occasions have thought I was having a heart attack.

I can only suggest making lifestyle changes to keep your heart healthy (if you aren't already)...exercise, eat right. The exercise will also help with your anxiety. You might see if your doc will prescribe something for when you are having a full blown panic attack- Valium or something. If you think you are having a heart attack instead of a panic attack, head to the ER.

Closed Thread