It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
(male)

NewDaniel HB User
More Heart Palpitations and Other Symptoms

Now I've never posted a question or anything about this in the past 4 years I've had these symptoms, and have only seen my GP twice and been to the ER once.

It started when I was 15. I've never been a healthy person, and having dropped out of high school two years prior to this, I wouldn't say I was actively going out either. I'd drink a lot of caffeine, regularly about 2 litre bottles of Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc every 2 days or so for the same two years. I hardly used to eat healthy either, and I smoke and have done since I was 11. One night after using the computer, it must have been around 3-4am, I lay down for bed on my side and was drifting off when I had this cold, deadening feeling and a sense of foreboding. Then my heart started to race, around 120+ BPM. Having no idea what this was I was naturally frightened to death and probably went into some shock, and after worrying about it I finally managed to get to sleep sometime later.

That was how it began. Since that day I've had an irregular heart beat, heart flutters, a sense of reality not being real or being in a dream-like state (except not lucidly dreaming), more palpitations. I've had a blood test for any thyroid problems, visited my GP twice, even went to ER once when I had another onset of palpitations. Nothing. All they could tell me was that it was an irregular heart beat, so since then I've lived the past 4 years with the same symptoms every day and haven't visited anyone or told anybody else about them. I'd just like to write down some of the symptoms and feelings I get to see if anybody else suffers them, and then at least I know I'm not some abnormality and hopefully bring a sense of comfortability.

Symptoms
Irregular heart beat. Just the feeling that your heart isn't beating normally or like it should.
Awareness of your heart beat. Like you focus on it, put your hand across your heart to check how it's beating, how fast.
Heart pounding, sometimes the feeling that your heart is beating against your ribcage.
Foreboding, feeling cold, sudden hot feelings behind your ears before the palpitations begin.
Lack of appetite.
A tightness down the middle of your ribcage on the front, usually feeling better after burping.
Warped view of your surroundings, like it's not real, also the feeling that you yourself aren't real.
Sweating, usually only the armpits.

Usually if I feel the onset of palpitations beginning to occur, I take deep breaths and sit still, or if that doesn't work, usually go for a walk. They only seem to occur mostly at night. Sometimes taking my mind off of it works, like calling my girlfriend just to talk. What's really annoying though is that I need a sense of safety and being comfortable, usually talking to people, being in large groups of people, or talking online while having the TV on. It's just really hard to live like this constantly and questioning how it can be suddenly transpire one night and change your life for the worse forever, or at this point, seemingly forever.

Edit: I should also mention, as this may be a cause I am not sure, that my sleeping schedule is erratic and has been for the past 6 years (I am 19 now). It literally changes from sleeping usually (12am-9am) to later and later, usually ending up with me sleeping through the day and awake during the night, and then back to sleeping normally.

There was a point around a year ago that I felt good. No palpitations, no irregular heart beat and was generally enjoying life. Then my parents began getting divorced, I went to live with my brother, and they slowly came back into it.

Last edited by NewDaniel; 06-04-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: More Heart Palpitations and Other Symptoms

I'm no doctor but it sounds like you have anxiety issues to me. That anxiety will present itself in MANY of the ways you mentioned. If I were you I would taper off one the caffeine
and start exercising. I think both of these things will help you more than you can imagine right now.
Don't be afraid to go for a second opinion if your symptoms are very worrisome to you. That's what being an informed patient is all about.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
(male)

NewDaniel HB User

I have been told it might be anxiety by certain people I have told some of my symptoms to too. I am a paranoid person, especially when it comes down to the palpitations. I did cut a lot of caffeine down when the palpitations first started, and I don't drink coke, dr. pepper, pepsi, tea, coffee, etc anymore and haven't done for a long time. (1-2 years). I also drink plenty of water, usually 1.5-2 litre bottles every day or two. I haven't cut caffeine out entirely though, still treating myself to cans of Vimto (usually 1-2 a day).

The problem is though I don't know how or why, if it is anxiety, how it could have come about. I'm not really up to date on these things, I prefer the saying that "ignorance is bliss", rather waiting for it to go rather than do something about it myself, which after 4 years, clearly hasn't helped me.

So you would suggest exercise? I don't have a gym nearby or any equipment myself (brother took them for himself), so would walking help? Maybe lightly jogging? And, silly question I know, but would quitting smoking help? Especially if it is stress/anxiety, wouldn't it only fuel it while I went through withdrawal symptoms?

Edit: But thanks for the quick response!

Last edited by NewDaniel; 06-04-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDaniel View Post
... It started when I was 15.
My Tachacardia/Palpitations started when I was around 18. I am now close to 70. I lived with the condition for about 30 years before it started getting more frequent and more symptomatic.

Quote:
I'd drink a lot of caffeine, regularly about 2 litre bottles of Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc every 2 days or so for the same two years. I hardly used to eat healthy either, and I smoke and have done since I was 11.
You are actually diagnosing yourself. When your heart is prone to palpitations/tachycardia, you can lessen the problem by avoiding things that will stimulate the heart, such as caffeine, nicotine, the chemicals in cigarette smoke, excess calories, stress, etc.

My heart finally kicked permanently into high speed (tachycardia) and I've had to be on medication, ever since, to keep it beating at a more normal rate.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
(male)

NewDaniel HB User

Wow, I'm really impressed you've managed to live with it for more or less 50 years, but I take it the condition itself is irreversible and that you live with it your whole life?

I rarely get palpitations anymore, but when I do get them they are severe at least in comparison to what I was used to (the last time I had them checked it was 160 BPM), I just find my other symptoms diminish the quality of life, especially the discomforting view of my surroundings. It makes it hard to concentrate and takes away my appetite. I find this usually happens after I've been awake a certain amount of hours (usually between 6-9 hours).

I suppose the only thing I can do right now is change my diet, try and cut back/quit on the smoking and try to get a regular sleeping pattern back and see what happens.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
(male)

jma1024 HB User

thats anxiety bud im 19 had anxiety since i was 15 i have the same problems heart beats fast palpitations very aware of my heart rate and like yours mine started out of nowhere i was eating one night when all of the sudden i felt my heart go into overdrive my parents took me to the ER had chest x-rays ultra-sound thyroid EKG's was on a heart monitor for a few hours all tests game back good as can be and went to my Family doctor who told me sounds like you had a panic attack and said they come to some people out of thin air and others can feel them coming best way to deal is to just ignore the symptoms which trust me isnt easy i still have heart awareness and worry a lot about my heart i dont tell my parents much as i dont want to scare them and they know i have anxiety hang in there you will hopefully get over it or learn to deal with it i have learned to deal with it most of the time but sometimes i cant and just do something to distract yourself from whatever is bothering you

Old 06-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Wow, I'm really impressed you've managed to live with it for more or less 50 years, but I take it the condition itself is irreversible and that you live with it your whole life?
There are surgical procedures, ablations, which can zap the electrical part of the heart that is malfunctioning, if the problem becomes more frequent or more problematic.

As I aged, I kept on smoking and drinking and overeating, all of which caused mine to continue to get worse, until I needed medication to deal with the malfunctioning of my heart's electrical system.

Quote:
I rarely get palpitations anymore, but when I do get them they are severe at least in comparison to what I was used to (the last time I had them checked it was 160 BPM), I just find my other symptoms diminish the quality of life, especially the discomforting view of my surroundings. It makes it hard to concentrate and takes away my appetite. I find this usually happens after I've been awake a certain amount of hours (usually between 6-9 hours).
My palpitation/tachycardia problems are also connected to my allergies. When one is having an allergic reaction, the body produces extra hormones/chemicals in order to "protect" against the allergens/irritants. This overproduction of hormones can excite the heart and/or raise the blood pressure and/or cause nausea or stomach upset, or cause muscle or joint pain, concentration problems, etc.

This increased production of body chemicals/hormones can especially cause one to feel very tired or fatigued.

Quote:
I suppose the only thing I can do right now is change my diet, try and cut back/quit on the smoking and try to get a regular sleeping pattern back and see what happens.
Smoking is the cause of many health problems. It's not the smoke, in itself, that is the most damaging. The many chemicals in cigarette smoke interact with the hundreds of different body chemicals/hormones and can produce all kinds of negative health surprises.

The best medications one can take for any health problem are a good quality healthy diet and exercise. Even so, if one's heart is prone to "misfiring", one can try to limit the palpitations and tachycardias by avoiding certain unhealthy triggers as much as possible, but if the problem gets more serious, then either medication or ablation might have to be considered.

When you get "Warped view of your surroundings, like it's not real, also the feeling that you yourself aren't real." do you get any visual disturbances with it? Any flashing lights? When this is happening do you have problems focusing your eyes? Can you look to the sides?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 06-06-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
(male)

sundram255 HB User

This is for those who are experiencing irregular heart beat & rapid pulse rate. All underlying problems lies in the way we breath, breath is life & one should know how to control consciously. Most of the times we forget this breath & breathe unconsciously. Follow the below method, it helps to lower the ragin hearts.

Inhale for 4seconds, hold in stomach for 8seconds, exhale for 8seconds(4/8/8). Inhale less stale oxygen, exhale more of carbon dioxide. This will help tremendously. As you have practised regularly, try to increase the ratio to 4/12/12, 4/16/16 & more. Good luck

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-23-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Quote:

I have lived with a tachy heart undx for over 20 yrs but it can be lessened but maybe not undone. It diet or anxety is the cause yes it can be stopped.

I tried deep breathing and I was active did not drink much caffiene if at all no booze no smoking and I was into exercise. medication and life changes and diet can lessen them. but sometimes the tachy pvc and pacs come.

i had potassium issue with mine and a undx kidney problem some of your symptons including the sense of foreboding that came before I got dx and the sweating pits could be me. sever lack of an one crucial electroylyte was my problem. i eat foods high in it so my kidneys were simply flushing most of what i needed out.

tried the axniety meds so that is a sign that it may not be anxeity. i took ativan for a weekend. 3 days and my heart did not slow down.
give them a go and if they do not help get a holter test cut out the caffiene if you must have it try some green tea. 25 mg of the caffiene but all that sugar can lead to diabetes and anxiety like symptoms if not under control too. Try increasing your water intake you could also be having some hydration issues that can cause a heart to beat out of whack.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
(male)

Joshblck1 HB User

hi im 18 and i know exactly what you are having, mine is the same but only worse in certain ways. First of all, have you been checked for having a arrythmia, 3 months ago i started getting palpitations that were followed by a tachycardia, id get really flushed and usually a heachache too, id be exhausted after too, have you had any of these symptoms?

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-25-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
(male)

jlhersh HB User

Hi,

Have had similiar and you might find if you can quite smoking completely and stay away from the caffeine for at least a few months most of your palps may dissappear immediately and over a year or so completely dissappear. Been through this twice in my life once when I was about 20 and again when I was about 30, because I started smoking again and after a few years I think it must somehow wear the normal ops of my heart down and then it takes a while to get back to normal.

Have to admit blew it again here recently, you get to thinking this stuff won't start in again and had a girl friend that smoked and so guess what, I started smoking again. And Bam here I am again 3rd time (and definitely the last) with what started off as basically what you described above 4 weeks ago and now just starting to get things settled down again. This time got a script for Beta Blocker - which I think was mistake, now trying to get off of that.

You probably have a good chance quite the smokes and hold off on the caffeine for a few months. Don't feel to bad I have horrible withdrawel from tobacco but it will pass.

Closed Thread