It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Stage 4 CHF

An email friend of mine with multiple diagnoses including 30 year smoking habit, MS,poorly controlled diabetes, Grave's disease and morbid obesity was rushed to the hospital on Monday and is now on a ventilator, in a medically induced coma, and has a severe pleural effusion. She had been having increasing inability to function for the last couple of years and I suspected she had CHF, but she assured me her heart was "perfect." She's been bed/wheelchair bound for at least 2 years.

From my research and general knowledge about serious heart problems, especially complicated ones, I see little hope of her recovering. My friend's dd told me via email that the hospital is wanting to move her to a nursing home ASAP, but even that sounds optimistic to me. The woman is 43.

Does anyone have any personal experience with CHF this severe? Can you share what you know?

Thanks in advance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Stage 4 CHF

I hope that your friend is able to recover and return to her home, friends and family. She is so very young to be going through such a terrible ordeal. She has so much life left to live.

I've been battling against Heart Failure, and other serious health problems, for over 23 long, difficult years. Fortunately, I've been able to better my health, rather than the normally expected worsening of Heart Failure, but it has taken an extraordinary amount of time, effort, anxiety and work. I've done reasonably well mostly through diet and avoiding the irritants that worsen Heart Failure and other chronic diseases.

Living with Heart Failure, with a reasonably good quality of life, is a full time job. It has taken a lot of love and understanding from my wife, without which I doubt whether I would have been doing this well.

I realize that you were asking for comments from someone with much more advanced Heart Failure than me, but I thought that my comments and my condolences could be of some use.

I've documented my struggle and success at the thread: Heart Disorders > What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

Once again, I hope that your friend is somehow able to recover from Stage 4 CHF.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 06-11-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Stage 4 CHF

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, it was my friend's attitude of "ignore and deny" that has largely gotten herself into the predicament in which she finds herself today. She's been largely non-compliant with all the treatment regimens outlined for all of her serious diseases, any one of which could cause complications that could kill her. I've been amazed and horrified at how easily she has accepted each loss of function and has done little or nothing to stop or alleviate the problems.

It makes it all the more tragic that she is a registered nurse practitioner with over a decade of ICU experience. If anyone should know....

I'm not sure she can pull out of the mess this time. She has 3 teenagers, but lately even they have not seemed "enough" to keep her fighting.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread