It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

Chris101 HB User
Possible heart condition

Over the last six months, I've had several of what I would describe as "heart spells." On two different occasions, while walking somewhere, my heart has inexplicably sped up (I would describe it as an irregular heartbeat; I don't know what my BPM was, but it was definitely higher than average). On the two occasions that these incidents have occurred, I have also begun perspiring profusely, though I wasn`t vigorously exercising at the time. The first spell was worse than the second. Though I never timed it, I would estimate that it lasted for roughly 20 minutes. There were no other symptoms indicative of a heart attack, though I could not breathe deeply. The second incident happened in a mall, earlier today. I sat down on a bench and put my head between my legs, and it lasted for perhaps five to eight minutes.
All of this seems very unusual for someone of my age. I`m 20 years old, male, roughly 6 foot 4 inches tall, and in decent shape. My build is about average, and my weight typical of someone of my height. I`m a non-smoker (never smoked), though I have been drinking a good deal more than usual since January of this year. Also, my diet could be a lot better (this isn`t a lifestyle choice; I`m simply a student, and can`t afford decent food). I`m worried that this could be a cholesterol problem or something. I do my best to exercise regularly, and, though I`m not in spectacular shape, I would, again, describe myself as roughly average. My problem is that I do not gain weight, because of my body build. In short, if I spend a week eating fast food and the like, I see no visible effects. I`m worried that this could be congesting my arteries or something similar. Also, it should be noted that, because of a physical condition I have, I tend to burn calories more rapidly than most people do.
I suspect that this could be something more benign, like gas trapped in my chest or something of the like. Even so, would you all recommend that I get this investigated? As I said, this has now happened twice, and I`m worried that it could escalate. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Possible heart condition

Yes, I would have it investigated, but I don't believe it's something you need to be worried about.
There's a common condition (I have it myself) called SVT. Supraventricular tachycardia. This is different than your average palpitation as it lasts longer. It does not indicate an unhealthy heart, but a heart that may have extra pathways that induce the tachycardia. Best wishes to you.

Closed Thread