It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

jackielondon HB User
Post ablation day 4 worried any help appreciated???

Hi
everytime I tried to find any info prior to ablation everyone seemed so knowledgable aout their condition and most seem to be USA posts so before I start I had diagnosis and treatment on NHS and live in London UK.

I never really had a choice as I was in ER 2-3 times a month with SVT and 4 weeks before procedure I got sore throat which went to chest and ended up with bronchitis well, I was confident it would be ok I eat healthy and got plenty of rest and drank gallons of water and mentioned this at pre-assessment at hospital where they ask what med's your on etc so pretty thorough I thought.

I had nagging feeling that ablation while still pretty bad with bronchitis and bringing up copious (sorry) amounts of gunk was not good idea but they seemed ok to go ahead and as you cant drink water I was bit worried about if I started coughing.

I went in with a optimistic attitude a short procedure to free me from life time of svt's and drug free future ...

I was in EP Study lab with 6 monitors I was lightly sedated but still watched cathethers going in all of them not one and didnt feel pain so good start and saw them coiled around heart think I was in "its this or medication" mode and yes the EP study and varying heart rates they induced were ongoing and uncomfortable and I was after 2 hours getting bored tired and cold (freezing for some reason) I thought try to let the sedative take over and drift and had nobody with me on my side of perspex screen so felt so so alone.

I saw EP consultant in blue scrubs approach me and confused as he was doing the ablation??? He said my name and asked "how do you feel?" I said "cold" he was watching monitors and said to me "your hearts slowing down" I said thats good as in question and he replied "no its too slow and slowing" I mumbled now "is it common" and he replied "no its very unusual" I then panicked and said "but you have had this before and you know what to do" and he said "no I have no idea what is causing it" and this is top man in EP studies in London and I thought I had drawn jackpot when I got referred to him in famous London hospital.

Naturally I freaked out on table and was waiting for last beat my legs jerked and I was suddenly aware of people around me clamping me down as wires in groin I was shaking and then sobbing and someone said "try to relax" ... I was thinking so many things like WHY is he telling me this???

I asked him "am I going to die" and he never answered me he kept watching screens then disappeared I had "cup" in back of hand and I suddenly felt a whoosh of something and laid there murmuring please get my daughter repeatedly ... nobody appeared and couldnt see anything for tears falling I tred with all my will to stay calm in case it would help but tears rolling down my cheeks silent waiting ... think that sped my heart up was that his reason?

I never saw him again till 4 hours later in ward and I was furious and still wondering what happened, he brushed it off with its unusual but we managed to bring it back up to about 48 bpm (apparently now I have heart rate of super fit gym bunny) I cant lie I amnot given to drama and/or tears but I sobbed on and off for 16 hours frightened to sleep close my eyes in case I never woke up. He was awful really cold and distant and I have appt for 3 months time!! Not 3 weeks but September 2010.

I am on day 4 I sleep now a lot I'm exhausted and wonder if thats ok. I sleep for 7 hours at night and then 2 hours after breakfast then all day long I do some work/chores etc and by 2pm dreaming of bed and sleep by 10pm is this normal.

Im usually very active so nobody told me what to expect post ablation on my GP letter it said successful ablation I have flutters and ectopic beats and thats normal so they say and from what I have found here but at no time ever did I ever not have faith that this was minor procedure and that heart could slow down to so slow that EP heart consultant would be telling me while on table that he was confused and also used the word "baffled".

My daughter and sister were there in relatives room and they were aghast when I told them but EP Consultant came by and used medical jargon and brushed it all off I was stunned at his blase attitude and felt all my faith in him was gone.

On NHS you dont get choices or 2nd opinions and whose to say whats been done or was it successful. I have made appointment to see my GP tomorrow and he is great and hope he can help explain to me or help me understand what happened. I was laughing/crying on same day saying its like being on a plane and suddenly the pilot appears and says engine is slowing down to all passengers and of course everyone would be thinking why is he telling us this but one brave person asks "but as an experienced pilot you know what to do" and he replies that no its unusual and he's baffled ... what would happen mass panic as expected so why would any professionally trained person in any field do what he did???

Im so angry and hurt about it all I am doing as much as I can as I feel he nearly lost me and so my policy before was always live life to the max and now I simply wish to get better get my bronchitis cleared and get away for a holiday fingers crossed without worrying about loaded travel insurance and emergency rooms in foreign countries!

I wish everyone great success stories and funny thing was I did question his rate of success and he had good rate as in no damage or loss ... and when he said what he did to me my first thought was I'll be his first!! super scary for me and I was so keen to have this procedure done for a better quality of life and feel so let down by EP consultant and wonder what happened and why??

I am writing this not to frighten anyone but to ask if anyone has ever heard anything like this as I am putting on a brave face but if truth be told wonder each night if I will wake up in morning. I would add GOOD news is I did not need pain killer I have no pain at groin entry (tender- nothing major) have only had 2 paracetemols since operation on day 1 as I had headache (wonder why?) and slight "stitch-like" feel on right side of chest other than being a bit pale all ok ~ so had he not totally scared me and had I not have bronchittis I would say all in all seems easier than dentist!!

Would love to hear from anyone who had anything that went less than smooth.

Good luck to everyone and I posted so you can all ask your EP doctor can heart slow down and why, plus is it common and can they control it.

Everyone like me so keen to get rapid tachycardia healed nobody thought of reverse ... so maybe a good idea to put on questions with your doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Re: Post ablation day 4 worried any help appreciated???

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm in the U.S. and my ablation for AVNRT in Feb. of this year I think has cured me. It was a great experience, I had an amazing doctor and staff and I wasn't worried for one minute. They made me feel confident, comfortable and the procedure went great. Give it some time. I had 3 episodes of tachycardia the first 3 months after the procedure which they say can happen because the heart is irritated. See where you are after 3 months. That's what I would do. You just had the procedure and you may just have an irritated heart. Best Wishes.

Closed Thread