It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Question Heart Palps(PVCs) waking me up at nite & with little or no exertion

What causes the PVCs when I am sleeping or resting? They can be very scary. I also get pressure on my chest sometimes with the heart palps & sometimes shortness of breath. I just had a heart monitor, but haven't heard anything yet. Can the PVCs be serious or indicative of some underlying cause? This is a weird situation for me. I am not used to having my heart race as fast as 130bpm sometimes. It is usually 60-70bpm. Anyone know what to expect from the halter monitor & what to ask my PCP? Wouldn't you know that when I wore the monitor not much happened to my heart. It seemed like a waste of time to me. I has no insurance, but it had to be done.
I am a female of 58 yrs. old with a hubby who has Parkinson's disease & I am his sole caregiver, so I am under a bit of stress each day. Thanks very much for listening.
synjyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Re: Heart Palps(PVCs) waking me up at nite & with little or no exertion

I care for a child with autism a young adult now. IT can happen with middle age and menopause. i would see a good cardio not a pc doc for this. i did at first then it got worse. i sometimes the pvc can indicate something more my dr intially said no big deal then i had a heart attack. the monitor will tell you when youre heart is tachy or if there is more than pvc and other things. i was shocked to find mine was tachy as a relaxed or slept. i haqve learned most people here have pvc more when they are relaxed. dr aske me if i felt them more laying down. i found my pvc were going 30 per of the day. that i had some pacs. try not to worry and they may put you on a beta blocker and you do not need to take it daily unless there is a good reason too. when the tachy pvc die down a bit you will feel less pressure but drink more water. have them check your potassium if they have not and bug them for the results. you are in good places lots tachy pvc people here. i found out mine were mostly from a kidney problem were i waste potassium when i began an rx of potassium. it a does equivelent to like 17 OTC potassium pills. that i began to feel better with the potassium. huge difference.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-08-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Removed Quote, please use "Quick Reply" rather than "Quote Reply"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Heart Palps(PVCs) waking me up at nite & with little or no exertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by synjyn View Post
What causes the PVCs when I am sleeping or resting? They can be very scary.
Anything that causes stimulation of the heart can cause PVCs including Allergic Reactions, Caffeine, Cigarette Smoke, excess Carbohydrates or Sugar in the Diet, the side effects from medications and/or Supplements, hormonal changes in the body, etc.

The bed is one of the worst places for Allergies, so typically most people see increases in their PVCs after getting into bed.

Quote:
I also get pressure on my chest sometimes with the heart palps & sometimes shortness of breath.
During those times when the heart is not working effectively, it is not unusual to experience problems such as you have, and then after that, when the heart is working better, the symptoms usually get milder or go away.

Quote:
I just had a heart monitor, but haven't heard anything yet. Can the PVCs be serious or indicative of some underlying cause?
The PVCs could be symptoms of something serious, or just as simple as a heart being irritated.

Quote:
This is a weird situation for me. I am not used to having my heart race as fast as 130bpm sometimes. It is usually 60-70bpm. Anyone know what to expect from the halter monitor & what to ask my PCP? Wouldn't you know that when I wore the monitor not much happened to my heart. It seemed like a waste of time to me. I has no insurance, but it had to be done.
The Holter basically keeps track of heart rate and rhythm over 24 hours. The evaluation of your Holter is highly dependent on the experience of your doctor and how well he is trained in reading Holter results. If it were me, I would ask him for a complete evaluation of the Holter and what is means for me. What does it show? Are there any serious heart rhythm problems at any time? Is the heart doing OK most of the time?

Quote:
I am a female of 58 yrs. old with a hubby who has Parkinson's disease & I am his sole caregiver, so I am under a bit of stress each day. Thanks very much for listening.
synjyn
Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that he is doing fairly well.

Regardless of the exact problems with your heart, there are options available which can help you, such as being on a very healthy, low calorie, small meal, balanced quality diet; and avoiding heart irritants such as tobacco, caffeine, excessive calories; and including some exercise in one's day, such as moderately walking 30 minutes each day.

Best of luck to you and your husband!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Closed Thread