It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Heart skipping , trouble breathing, driing me nuts.

I've had trouble with breathing and trouble with my heart skipping for many years due to a thyroid issue, not always both at the same time. Went to a cardio in 06 and they did a lot of tests, said heart was fine other than extra beats in the upper and lower chambers. They ruled it as being caused by my thyroid levels which at the time were not under control. My Dr thought I may have MVP but the cardio said I didn't. My Dr said she still thought I probably had a mild case of it.

More recently though the skipping is worse and I have difficulty breathing when my heart skips a lot. It also seems to skip worse in the evening, when I sit still and especially when I go to bed at night. I sometimes feel rather dizzy or off when the skips happen. I don't know how to explain it other than I feel like I'm not running on all cylinders, I get a weak or jittery feeling all over. It is getting really annoying. My thyroid was a bit off, but adjusting the meds hasn't seemed to help the skipping or the breathing difficulty. I'm getting a bit worried that this is a heart problem but I can't afford to see a cardio, I have no insurance.
My father and brother both have a lot of trouble with skipping heart. My brother recently had his skipping so bad he called 911, they ran many tests on him and said his heart muscle was fine but there was a nervous or electrical problem causing it.

Does anyone experience this feeling of jittery or not running on all cylinders? Does anyone have more trouble with skipping in the evening or when they sit still?

Last edited by dea4; 08-11-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
(male)

MrScott66 HB User
Re: Heart skipping , trouble breathing, driing me nuts.

Hi, I am having this exact same problem. I refer to the dizziness as a type of "brain fog", and I also have skipping and breathing difficulties. My thyroid was slightly off, so they started me on synthroid, but I had to stop taking it because it made my arm muscles very tender and sore. So sore that I couldn't sleep on them. I have my yearly appointment with my cardiologist in about a month,so I will run this by him. I suspect he will order a echo as I haven't had one in a year.

I will be happy when I get an answer to this.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Let me know what your cardio says. My dr did an EKG but of course that showed nothing. My heart wasn't skipping at the time.

Try a different thyroid med, there are many. I have never taken Synthroid, I've heard of too many people that have problems with it. I take Unithroid and Nature Throid and have never had any adverse reaction to them.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
(male)

MrScott66 HB User

You know, I asked an Endo if there was an option other than synthroid, and she said no. I guess I'll go back to my primary and see what he says.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4 View Post
... Does anyone experience this feeling of jittery or not running on all cylinders? Does anyone have more trouble with skipping in the evening or when they sit still?
Yes to all of the above, especially if I cheat on my healthy diet, or if I encounter something that stimulates my heart's electrical system, like caffeine, cigarette smoke, allergens, and many MANY other stimulants!

I carefully monitor the carbs, proteins, fats, sodium and potassium in my diet and attempt to keep all of them at reasonable levels. As a result I have fewer episodes of breathing problems and/or heart rhythm/beat problems.

Our metabolism has to balance over 300 different chemicals (hormones, cytokines), 24 hours per day. When our metabolism is out of balance because of our unhealthy diets, or because of over-stimulation, then it causes all kinds of nasty health problems.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScott66 View Post
You know, I asked an Endo if there was an option other than synthroid, and she said no. I guess I'll go back to my primary and see what he says.
Well that endo was a liar. There are even more options than the ones I mentioned, (levoxyl, unithroid, thyrolar, Armour, Nature Throid, etc) so seek another opinion and fire that endo.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Yes to all of the above, especially if I cheat on my healthy diet, or if I encounter something that stimulates my heart's electrical system, like caffeine, cigarette smoke, allergens, and many MANY other stimulants!

I carefully monitor the carbs, proteins, fats, sodium and potassium in my diet and attempt to keep all of them at reasonable levels. As a result I have fewer episodes of breathing problems and/or heart rhythm/beat problems.

Our metabolism has to balance over 300 different chemicals (hormones, cytokines), 24 hours per day. When our metabolism is out of balance because of our unhealthy diets, or because of over-stimulation, then it causes all kinds of nasty health problems.

Yes cigarette smoke, purfumes etc cause me problems. My diet is rather healthy to begin with because I'm hypoglycemic but I think my thyroid plays a big role in my problems as well since it does control metabolism and if the free levels are off I have numerous problems. My body seems to be very sensitive. The skipping seems to occur though even when I don't encounter stimulants. I think I need to have my thyroid levels tested again and pay a visit to my Dr. I'm getting really tired of this skipping constantly.

Closed Thread