It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
(male)

gcforeman HB User
can you have a heart attack if

My grandparents (75 and 70) were watching a documentary where someone learned how to yell and get angry off of pure adrenaline.He becomes irate and yells through half of the movie, sometimes out of nowhere and it is enough to startle and get my heart pumping.Just saying on a s-xxl scale its a 2xl.Even though you know he cant harm you its still scary to watch at times.My grandma had a heart attack during this.I know she has CAD and I do not know if she has high blood pressure or not.What would you say is the % that this caused it to happen.
Also my earlier post was deleted for spam.This is a serious question i need an answer to im not trying to advertise anything.thank you

Last edited by gcforeman; 08-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Re: can you have a heart attack if

You can be startled to death. I think that is what you are asking. Yes, adrenaline can kill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
(male)

gcforeman HB User

what do you think the odds are of that happening?Is there a way that hypertension could play a roll? Im just kind of wandering the odds of it actually being the video.I might have some sort of lawsuit, they shouldnt release videos like that.

Last edited by gcforeman; 08-24-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Your lawsuite wouldn't succeed ....... Your Grandma wasn't forced to watch the movie.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

There was a movie back in the late 1960's with Audrey Hepburn(something about "the Dark" but don't remember the whole name of it....maybe Wait Until Dark?). Towards the end, there is a scene where the guy trying to murder her suddenly lunges at her after she thinks she has killed him. It's all filmed in the dark as she is blind.

Anyhow, they had to station ambulances outside the theaters and post warnings that it could cause heart attacks (and it did). The warnings brought people in in droves! But it was a fabulous movie.....even if it almost gave you a heart attack. You were warned with this movie.

But you can't sue if you willingly watch. She should have just gotten up and walked away. People got so upset by that scene that they'd run out of the theaters. Now it would seem tame.

We all have choices to make.

Sorry she had a heart attack...............Jenny

Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Hmm ....
Most heart attacks are caused by the lack of blood flow to the heart muscle.

I can't understand how a scary movie could stop blood flowing to the heart. ???

Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

It's a well known phenomenon. A burst of adrenaline can cause the heart to beat much stronger than usual(and faster) and can cause the rupture of a cholesterol plaque or the release of a clot and it travels to the coronary arteries and causes a heart attack by blocking blood flow.

Just the other day there was a bad weather event(and I don't remember what) but I do remember that on the news they reported that the only person to die from it was someone who had a heart attack from the intensity of the storm.

And adrenaline bursts can come from good things too...like a wedding....another common situation. Emotions are high and alcohol is flowing and then someone gets too excited and keels over from a heart attack.

And how many times have we read about athletes keeling over from heart attacks while running...thinking of Dr. Jim Fix, the father of jogging here in the USA who did just that...and fatally.

It's the forceful beating of the heart that causes the cholesterol plaque to rupture from the artery wall and travel to the heart(or brain for that matter) or the plaque is ruptured from the coronary artery wall itself and instead a clot forms over the ruptured area and then the clot blocks blood flow. Or the rupture can occur elsewhere and the resulting clot breaks loose and travels to the heart. It's why the use of epinephrine is so dangerous. Can cause death by heart attack or stroke. I had an anaphylatic reaction to my allergy shots last week and had to have epinephrine and they had me stay in the office just to watch my heart. Stuff scares the daylights out of me.

So yes, a scary movie can and does cause heart attacks.

Jenny

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

I've just done some research and your right Jenny.
I think I'd better stop watching horror movies.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
Hmm ....
Most heart attacks are caused by the lack of blood flow to the heart muscle.

I can't understand how a scary movie could stop blood flowing to the heart. ???
A scary movie, or incident, can cause the heart to go into an erratic rhythm, which also effects blood flow. This usually doesn't cause life-threatening arrhythmias in a younger person but in the elderly can cause significant problems, including those that may be life threatening, IMHO.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I agree with the others.
Seems to me your trying to make her have a heart attack. Kids have been known to have seziures, some, not most to video games. I am not fan of big scary rides and people who who yell and scream so I avoid them.

Life is about choices.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

I don't think anyone tries to give another a heart attack by making them watch a disturbing movie but I do know a lot of people like scary movies and scary rides like huge roller coasters as they love the adrenaline "rush". It does give you a high. That's what so many amusement parks are about, and movies and concerts and all sorts of things we do for excitement...an adrenaline "rush".

But if you have coronary heart disease...and many elderly people do, then you have to watch it. In fact, anyone with coronary heart disease has to be careful. And it doesn't have to be a adrenaline either. Look at Tim Russert, the NBC guy who died at his desk when a plaque got lose and killed him instantly. It can happen at any time but if you get an adrenaline rush, you up the chances of it happening.

And yes, the arrythemias are another problem. I get PVC's(pre-ventricular contractions). Harmless but still worries me. So I hate having to get epinephrine for my allergy problems and I do avoid scary movies and rides. Not a fan of Halloween these days. I like my heart the way it is...beating.

lub-dub, lub-dub, lub-dub.....

Jenny

Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
(male)

gcforeman HB User

well it wasnt a scary movie it was a documentary about george bush and some intense screaming, he was sort of a big guy not huge but broad shoulders and he could yell intensley. what are the chances that is all it took?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Let's put it this way...she was probably ready to have a heart attack and it just so happened to happen during the documentary. I highly doubt the 2 were connected. But it might have caused an adrenaline rush and that did it.

My cousin died in her sleep of a heart attack at 59.....it doesn't take anything to prompt a heart attack if your heart is diseased or you have other problems related to your heart. My cousin had arrythmia problems and had an attack of arrythemia that caused clots to form and that stopped her heart. Dead in her sleep.

I live in Connecticut and we had an Olympic ice skater die of a heart attack at 29 here. The cholesterol plaque actually got loose 24 hours prior to his death...he thought he had pulled a shoulder muscle causing pain in his left shoulder. It went to his heart and damaged the heart muscle. Next day he gets on the ice and as a pairs skater, exerted himself by lifting his wife in the air and then dropped her and died on the ice....the heart stopped working due to the massive muscle damage that had occurred overnight. No one even thought of his heart as the cause for his left chest and shoulder pain because of his age.

Heart attacks can occur for many reasons in and very healthy people as well as the elderly. Chances are she was already having it before the documentary started but dismissed the pain as heartburn, like so many do.

I'm 59 with heart disease. I lost both grandfathers to massive heart attacks, 3 uncles, 2 cousins and my father had one too but survived. Will I have one? Probably. Will I blame it on a documentary...no. I will blame it on heredity and my own poor health habits.

It's the #1 cause of death in this country. Blame it on being human.

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcforeman View Post
what are the chances that is all it took?
There was a study at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine which demonstrated that sudden emotional stress can result in reversible heart failure. This was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

They looked at 19 individuals who had suffered from cardiac failure, not from clogged arteries but because of intense emotional stress. This was in healthy individuals, so I imagine that the risks of cardiac failure to the elderly and frail can be even worse.

It is difficult for anyone to really have the answer to your question. Could that stressful documentary have caused enough emotional stress to result in cardiac failure in an elderly person? Sadly, you probably will never know. It does happen.

If I was you, I would just consider the documentary coincidental and not a factor and no longer dwell on it. Think positive.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
(male)

gcforeman HB User

thanks guys i really appreciate the help, and yea i definitely need to be more optimistic, but im hard headed so i have one more question.What do you think the odds are her blood pressure went up and thats what caused the heartattack. idk if she already had high blood pressure or not anyway, but how high do you think it would have to get to cause this.I would just feel bad knowing me giving them the dvd would make me feel bad.

Closed Thread