It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
Successful Ablation for AVNRT

Hi Everyone,

I posted 6 months ago that I had an ablation for AVNRT and it appeared successful. I was told by my electrophysiologist if I didn't have an SVT for 6 months it would be considered successful. I have not had an SVT for exactly 6 months, I have lost 52 pounds AND I now exercise at least 2 hours a day!!! I'm so happy!!! I encourage everyone with AVNRT to seriously consider an ablation. 2 1/2 hours changed my life forever, I'm like a new person! I only wish I would have done it sooner. I've learned that it isn't OK to have your heart race for hours or that taking meds forever is safe. If you have a type of SVT that has a reasonably high cure rate with ablation seriously consider it and get your life back!!! My life has changed 100%. Although I was never someone that lived in fear now I just do whatever I want and never ever think about my heart. Working out without fear has been awesome! I'm so fit!!! I felt awful in January and I feel amazing in August!!! If you have any questions please let me know I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. One day though changed my life forever for the better! I wish that for all of you with AVNRT and SVT!!!

Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to lltomich For This Useful Post:
BroCurt (02-10-2011)
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User
Re: Successful Ablation for AVNRT

I had catheter ablation on August 19th... can't believe I didn't do it sooner! I was diagnosed with SVT. My procedure took exactly 2 hours also. I used to lay in bed at night and listen to my heart pound rapidly and then stop! I wasn't getting any sleep! I haven't had this experience since the night before my procedure!

I read every one of your posts on ablation before my procedure! I needed to know what to expect. My husband and mother were totally against me having this procedure! Reading your post helped me make the decision to have it done after another cardiologist told me that my symptoms were from anxiety!
Well...that doc that told me it was anxiety was wrong!!!! One hour into my procedure I was told that I had Atrial flutter and it could be fixed! Those words were music to my ears!!!!

Thank you for the positive post and sharing about your experience!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

I am so happy to hear your ablation went well!!! I wish you a quick recovery and kudos to you for doing what you felt was right for you and not letting others determine your destiny!!! You will be so happy you had the ablation! I cannot believe that 6 months after my ablation I'm as normal as everyone else after living with this my entire life, wish I would have done it sooner. I had two tachycardia episodes (my heartrate wasn't that high and they weren't an SVT) while my ablation was healing but it's been a long time since my heart did anything odd. I now workout 2 hours a day! I lost almost 60 pounds. I feel empowered and you will too!!! SVT's are not benign, medicines have side effects and adenosine will put you into a ventricular tachycardia sometimes, it did twice for me and that's really dangerous and life threatening. I am so glad those days are behind me now and you will be too!!!

Last edited by lltomich; 09-02-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
(male)

BroCurt HB User

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie here. I just had an ablation for SVT of the AVNRT type, and I must tell you my story. I had suffered "panic attacks" since the age of twenty. ( I am 50 now) Well, it turns out that it was not panic at all, but rather SVT. I had caught it on a strip during one of my many ER visits back in 1995. Years of thinking I had Panic Disorder. I was told by the doctors it was "benign". Well, I don't know about you, but a heart rate of 210 did not seem benign to me at all. It was terrifying!
My SVT was very sporadic. It could come on during times of extreme emotional duress or hard physical exertion. It would also come on with no apparent reason. Well, on January 27th of this year, I took the leap and had the ablation. I had put it off for a long time, but finally gave in and scheduled an appointment with a very skilled Electrophysiologist.
I live in Tulsa, Ok. and we have one of the BEST EP doctors around. When I say one of the best, I'm talking Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic trained. I had been very nervous and worried about the procedure. All of the "what ifs" were locked in my mind! Nonetheless, I was sick of allowing SVT to control my life. Simple things that people relate to as relaxing, such as a vacation or road trip, was a huge a worry to me. What if I have an episode? Where is the nearest hospital? blah, blah, blah.... My life had become controlled by the SVT or worry of it. I was sick of it!
On the day of my procedure, I came in to the hospital at 6 am. At 7:30 I was in the EP lab, and by 10:30 I was cured. Dr. Mark had successfully ablated my slow pathway! The procedure was almost completely painless. The veins in your groin area are numbed before the flexible catheters are inserted. The EP Dr. will pace your heart to trigger SVT by creating PACs in increasing succession. Once in SVT the Dr. can see EXACTLY where the pathway is, via flouroscopy (a type of X-RAY that allows motion) 3-D imaging is produced by the use of CARTO equipment. All state of the art.
If you are thinking of having an ablation, DO IT! ASAP. You will be so very glad that you did. No more SVTs for me. No more nagging worries. No more beta-blockers and their side effects! Also, as an added bonus, almost ZERO PVCs!!!! In fact, they are getting less and less.
I literally thank God for Dr Mark Milton. This was the best decision that I have ever made in my life! Find an experienced EP cardiologist and get yourself cured. You will be very glad you did.
On another note, do not make the mistake of dwelling on the negative posts in other forums about "bad" experiences. I have found that the vast majority of people that have successful ablations, quit posting on forums. After all, they are cured! No need to continue to post about worries. I made myself a promise to post about the positive experience that I had.
< edited >

Cheers!

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-11-2011 at 01:21 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BroCurt For This Useful Post:
monica007 (06-15-2012)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

BlessedDC32 HB User

Ok so I am a Newbie here! I just had ablation 04/25/11 which was Monday I am still healing, but so far so good! I do have large bruises on my legs, and occasionally feel a lil foggy but all in all feel ok! The doc says that it was a success and I have to say it was kind of a scarey procedure but I did do my homework and got the best electrophysiologist in my area and he is the best! like I said so far so good goin on my 5th day I did have to stay in the hospital one night and the nurses were absolutely wonderful at Christiana Hospital in DE and I had a few pvc in the hospital but nothing since just tryen to get back to normal! Bc I have a 2 year old and 11 year old who keep me busy but my wonderful husband took off this week to tAKE CARE OF ME! Well just wanna say that I waited so long to make my decision and have had svt since 10 years old and i am 32 now I tried the med route Toprol xl AND I still had episodes fastest was 268bpm had to call paramedics which gave me adenosine to stop it, I was on Toprol xl for almost 2 1/2 years it really was bad when i was pregnant and thats the first time they caught it on a monitor! I read so many failed ablations and all the bad stuff then I stated looking in the successful ones is what swayed me to get it done plus being so tired and worn out from the heart and the toprol that put the xtra 30 ponds on me too but u know what I will work it off at the gym I am med free right now and svt free as well I just pray that all is well and that I can loose this weight and the heart stay right and just be happy and be able to play with my baby's and not b tired out! Special thanks to my doc brian sarter and all the staff at christiana hospital!

Last edited by BlessedDC32; 04-28-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Blessed!!

I am SO happy for you!! Congrats on the ablation!! Don't worry about the negative posts everyone, I agree!!! Since my initially posting of this thread one year and two months ago after my successful ablation, I lost 151 pounds in one year!!! I am one year and two months out from the procedure and I rarely have any PVC's or PAC's! I feel amazing! I just ran and walked fast on the treadmill today for 10 miles!! No limitations finally!!!!! I am 1/2 the person I used to be a year ago weight wise, I am a workout Queen at 52 years old AND I have no more ER's and no medication. Just do it, do it, do it!!!! You will be so happy you did!!! You will get your life back and you will never even have to think about an ER again!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
(female)

Hi Blessed! It's been 8 months since my ablation and I haven't had an episode! I had SVT also and hated when my heart would race to 200bpms! I feel great and I'm glad that I had the ablation!

Everyday you will get stronger and feel better. I'm glad to hear that you made the decision to get it done! You will be glad that you did!

Best wishes,
Aleet7

Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
(female)

BlessedDC32 HB User

Thank u so much i am glad I did it the only thg for me is I have a knot the siza of a walnut in my left groin it's a lil painful went to the Dr yesterday they did ultrasiund and says everythg is ok! I am just taken it one day at a time!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
(female)

The not in your groin will eventually go away...I think mine was there for a couple weeks.

Best Wishes,
Aleet7

The Following User Says Thank You to aleet7 For This Useful Post:
BlessedDC32 (05-01-2011)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
(male)

ESJAYDEE HB User

Hi everyone. I'm new to this health board, and that's because I'm new to any true health issues. My story is simple - I'm 38, never had any major health issues, used to go boxing 3 days a week, run 4, in great shape. About a year ago I started having some episodes where after bending down to pick up something from the floor, my heart would go into a frenzy for a few minutes. That happened 3 times, and thereafter, for no reason, my heart would go into a frenzy. I would have occasional PVCs. Saw a cardio, and then another, who put me on an event monitor, which caught an SVT going at 270 bpms. I was diagnosed with AVNRT, and recommended as a candidate for an ablation procedure to cure the SVT. Had it done in March of this year, and since then, have experienced very frequent PVCs. Some good days, but most I feel them every 4-8 beats. They're very noticeable. Electro and Cardio have assured me that they are totally benign given that my heart is very healthy (had EKGs, Stress Tests, MRI's, the works). I do get dizzy and lightheaded sometimes, but MDs don't seem to think there is a connection. I've read on some of these boards that some people have experienced lots of PVCs after ablations like mine. I'd be quite curious to hear of everyone's experience in that regard. By the way, I like my MDs, but they're now saying either live with it, get on beta blockers (which made me very tired), or have yet another ablation for the PVCs. Not ideal choices quite frankly. I've tried Magnesium for about a month (400mg), and that didn't do all too much to reduce the PVCs. I'm now trying CoQ10 and Vitamin E. I've also heard that acupuncture may help. Basically, I'm willing to try any good therapy to get back to who I was before these PVC episodes. I really don't want another procedure. Despite all that I read that PVCs, frequent as they may be, are harmless, they certainly don't feel that way throughout the day. Thoughts? Advice? This seems like a good place to get some. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
(male)

Celtics32 HB User

Well if someone does come across this subject hopefully i can help. I had it done today and was pretty nervous leading up to it but Got to the the hospital and was good there. They were able to find an abalte my bad tissue very quick and was back in recovery in about an hour and a half. Although I am pretty sore from the puntucre spots. Also I was in bed from about 12 till 5 and the first time i got up to walk I about passed out because the pain i didn't expect hit me and caused my blood pressure to go low. I mean i never felt like i was going to pass out till today I had ringing ears sweaty and felt beat up. Laid down for a while and then was able to walk go to the bathroom and get out and get home! Hoping my wounds feel a bit better tomorrow.

Closed Thread