It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
(male)

SirMack HB User
29yo/M - Heart issues, and fainted - Still have symptoms 1 week later. Please Help.

I am a 29 year old male, 5'10" 242 lbs. I have been going to the gym 5 days per week, 1 hour per day for the past year and have lost 52 lbs. In that time I have not had any cardio issues, shortness of breath, blacking out, or fainting.

One week ago I was on the treadmill for 52-minutes and began feeling more fatigued than usual so I stopped and got off instead of doing the full 60minutes. I went over to the water cooler, squatted down for a few seconds to get a drink of water. When I stood back up that is when it happened.

My heart felt as if it stopped, then skipped a beat, then it began to pound faster, harder, and almost felt as if it was flipping in my chest. I was somewhat alarmed and walked over to the wall to brace myself and to take deep breaths and to try and relax. It got worse until my vision began to deteriorate and I could barely see as it was blurry and blacked out/splotchy to where I couldn't make anything out. My hearing then gradually went away and all I could hear was a loud ringing with the muffled sounds of the gym.

I decided to sit down as I was feeling dizzy and light-headed as well but it did not improve the condition. I felt myself losing consciousness so I then opted to lay on the floor and it was then that I gradually had my vision and hearing return and my heart began to beat somewhat normal again. The whole episode probably lasted 2 to 3 minutes.

After the incident my chest felt weird, but I felt alright. The next day I felt a tad fatigued and my chest had a very minor slight ache, like I had been bench-pressing some light weights. Over the weekend I felt light-headed and dizzy on and off and occasionally had what I think were palpitations. I was also becoming short of breath at times.

I made an appointment to see my doctor and he had me lie down and put an EKG/ECG on me (pads on my legs, arms, and chest) and it ran a 2-minute test and the machine/doctor said I was fine and did not have any heart issues nor did I have a heart attack. He did mention that given previous symptoms in my past I most likely just had a sensitive "Vegus nerve" and that there was nothing that could be done. He said I could continue working out and I was fine but to just be careful.

My concern here is the fact that I have been back to the gym for a few days and I am not able to get my heart-rate up to how I use to. When I try and it gets to around 130 I start to get more winded/short of breath and light headed. I use to be able to get my heart-rate up to 160 without any issues. I am also feeling, through-out the day, some possible palpitations, tired and still short-of breath and dizzy/light-headed on and off.

Could the doctor have missed something?

Is there something else I should get checked?

Did the 2-minute EKG/ECG possibly miss something?

What could possibly have happened? What is wrong with me?

I just want to be back to normal and I don't know what to do. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-03-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: 29yo/M - Heart issues, and fainted - Still have symptoms 1 week later. Please Hel

I agree that the episode as you described could be a vaso-vagal reaction, but those do not use to left any feeling of chest pressure the day after.

Do you still have that pressure feeling??

In particular if you have it, I will advise to see a cardiologist, and yes ... there are many things that do not showed up in a normal ECG for instance an effort-angina. Also there are things that show up but that a normal GP may not be able to realize.

Good luck,

Jesus

Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
(male)

SirMack HB User
Re: 29yo/M - Heart issues, and fainted - Still have symptoms 1 week later. Please Hel

Thanks for the information. I have been able to function, although I have still been feeling short of breath on and off (is that a sign of chest pressure?), tired, and a little light-headed/dizzy sporadically. Also at times my mind seems clouded and it almost feels I am having slight palpitations.

Over the past few days my blood pressure has been around 115/75 give or take with a pulse of 65-80bpm. Fasting blood sugar has been around 85-95, although I am not a diagnosed diabetic.

I will see about getting a referral to a cardiologist but with it being a holiday weekend I will probably have to wait.

Thanks again for your input. If anyone else has anything to add I would appreciate it immensely.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

sgately11 HB User

Hi Sir Mack,

Definitely take a cardiologist appointment. They are going to stress test you and have you were an even monitor. This sounds like it may be one of two things, V-Tach, or Afib. Both Rhythms could potentially cause feelings of passing out, and both are not necessarily life threatening with a structurally normal heart, which is why you should push for a Echo-cardiogram. If all the tests come out normal, I would say rapid weight loss has potent effects on the body, make sure you consume enough electrolytes, and water, and have calories in your body to burn off.

An EKG shows nothing of relevance if the rhythm went away, it just shows you were back to normal sinus heart rhythm at the time they did the test. Always always go to a cardiologist or better yet an Electro-physiologist if you have issues with your heart.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
(male)

SirMack HB User

I really appreciate the response!

I have not gone to see a cardiologist but I may go this upcoming week as my doctor was a little concerned with me still having symptoms 2 weeks after I had the "attack" when he said I should be fine. He said the only other thing he can think of is anxiety/stress that I may or may not be conscious of.

I still am having pressure/tightness in the chest, as well as shoulder aches that radiate to my left arm on and off. I also still have been getting dizzy on and off and at times can't seem to think clearly. I also have spells where I feel as I am having problems catching my breath in addition to what feels like something "stuck" in my chest/lower throat area. when i walk up the stairs, what use to be easy, now makes my chest beat somewhat hard, the pressure that feels like is tightening in the chest increases, and I feel light-headed and out of breath. Prior to the attack a couple weeks back I could easily walk up a couple flights of stairs without any issues.

When I try to work out, whenever I get my heart rate up above around 130bpm I start to feel more pressure, get light-headed, and have problems catching my breath. Prior to the incident I could easily get it up to 160/170 and go for an hour or more. I only drank pure water, but may give Gatorade a try, as I have never drank an electrolyte drink.

Another issue I did not mention previously is the fact that I have 2 extra bones in my back, 2 hemi-vertebrae I believe they are called, like part of a vertebrae that gives me scoliosis. I am wondering now, with me having a spinal deformity, if my symptoms could possibly be caused by disc or nerve issues?

It has also been about 8 years since I have had any sort of blood work.

So do you think 52 lbs over 12 months (about a pound a week) is a lot of weight lost that could cause problems? My maintenance calories are around 2800 calories/day but I tend to eat around 2,000/day as I am still trying to lose another 50 lbs or so over the next year or two.

Thanks again for the response!

Last edited by SirMack; 09-10-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Hi,

Forget the vertebra, you have them for years and before they did not give you any problem...

The more you describe your symptoms the more remind me of coronary problems.
Until you see the cardiologist, I would try to stop any effort that produce you any sort of discomfort.

About loosing weight, yes it is a lot, but, it seems to me that, if you have followed healthy eating habits and not taken any pill or dietetics complements it should not be a reason for hearth problems (unless that you previously had a hidden medical condition).

Good Luck

Jesus

Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
(male)

sgately11 HB User

Hi Sir Mack,

It looks like what you have is a legitimate cardiac incident (fainting, extra beats), and then developed anxiety and a subconscious phobia. Believe me I just went through that, I had my heart rate spike and stay elevated for 15 minutes post workout, and for someone who has never had heart issues this is concerning. What happens is that because you associate this event with your heart you have become hyper aware, and therefore you are experiencing symptoms of panic, SOB, tightness in chest, light headed etc.

Now this all could still be cardiac related, but the speed of the symptoms is what has me thinking anxiety post a real episode.

I would not listen to a General Practitioner about your heart, although smart, and competent, they do not specialize in the heart, and you clearly had a heart related incident that caused you to faint based on your description.

After my episode I did more research, and scared myself more deeply than was necessary or needed. This is what you need to know consolidated. Get and echo. If your heart is structurally normal, even an episode such as ventricular tachycardia (multiple PVC's in a row) can be tolerated, if it was from the atrial no issues at all. V-Tach causes dizziness, and potential fainting, and that flip flop feeling in your chest. The reason I think V-tach is because you mentioned passing out, when the ventricle cannot pump blood to your brain efficiently you get light headed. This could also happen from Afib (a non lethal arrhythmia)

You may have had another rhythym that we are not aware of yet, this is why you should specifically ask for an event monitor, which will allow you to press a button wen you feel something, and it will be recorded. Right away the DR. will know if you are in normal sinus or another rhythm. Keep in mind, if you use one, go exercise, I was so scared my heart rate would jump up to 160 climbing a few steps, where previously I could run up the stairs (anxiety).

I pretty much turned into an invalid for a few months. I could not eat food without getting a racing heart, walk up stairs, or exercise. I focused completely on what was wrong, and in retrospect after testing should have just let the doctors do their work. People have arrhythmia all of the time, and being young and probably with a normal heart your outlook is excellent. Just get checked.

Try not to stress, When you release adrenaline and constantly focus on your heart you will feel the symptoms you imagine. Unless you had serious and quick heart trauma I really cant see from what I read how you would go from easily able to walk up the stairs, to not being able to, this sounds like panic. But I am not a doctor, and for your peace of mind you need to find out what caused the initial problem, and see if it recurs.

57lbs doesn't seem to excessive over a 12 month period. Question do you drink energy drinks? Were you eating enough before the gym, drinking enough fluids?

Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

SirMack...I agree that you need to see a cardiologist. Since you mentioned blacking out...they will want to do a Head up tilt table test on you. This test is when they strap you to a table and tilt the table while doing an EkG on you. Near the end of the test they spray something under your tongue that elevates your heart to see how it responds.

Is does sound like you may have some type of arrythmia (I am not a doc though). I just went through months of testing because my heart racing would cause me to pass out. I was diagnosed with SVT or Supraventricular Tachycardia. I ended up having catheter ablation which corrected the problem 3 weeks ago.

I hope you get answers soon. You do need to look into this problem...it may return.

Best Wishes,
Aleet7

Last edited by aleet7; 09-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Closed Thread