It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Anyone have success treating PVCs with magnesium and potassium?

I've been suffering with PVCs now for about a month. They came on suddenly with an increase in my exercise routine. I had been working out on an elliptical but was getting bored out of my skull so decided to try and start running again. I had run most of my life from the age of 17 to 36 when my first son was born then gave it up. But decided to give it a try again. That's when they became very severe causing me the inability to sleep more than a couple of hours. One night was so bad I finally went to the ER to be sure something more severe wasn't happening. Everything checked out fine but the heart monitor that was strapped onto me for more than an hour showed plenty of PVCs.

One thing I noticed on my labs was my potassium level was 3.8 and the normal range is 3.5-5.0. So pretty much on the low end of normal. I have been supplementing now with CoQ10, fish oil, L-carnitine, magnesium, d-ribose and a good multivitamin. I thought I had the flopping heart palps licked because after I began the PVCs were gone for the most part. For 3 wonderful days Then they came back

I'm going to my dr tomorrow and will ask for a beta blocker. I wanted to avoid that if I could, but sleeping only 2-3 hours per night isn't making my PVCs any better. But, I'm really wondering about the potassium level. Has anyone ever had a lower potassium level and PVCs? If so, did you supplement and find any relief?

The fact that it came on so suddenly with exercising outside in the heat and I did not drink electrolyte drinks only water, could this be my cause? I've tried eating potassium rich foods but just can't keep gagging down bananas and avacados to make up the difference. I hate this! I could handle them all day long if they want to flop around, but I just want to SLEEP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User
Re: Anyone have success treating PVCs with magnesium and potassium?

Yes. I was borderline low potassium and magnesium which was OK until I exercised and perspired. After exercising heartily during the week I once sent my levels so low (2.8) I had constant PVCs and I had to be hospitalized. Now I'm on (somewhat massive) daily supplements. It really made all the difference to me.

ETA: My labs are checked by my doctor. Too much potassium is as bad as too little.

Last edited by Tamsin; 10-27-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
(male)

ofacto HB User

I have know idea what triggers my PVCs, but I keep taking supplements cause I think it helps. I use magnesium citrate, cause its better absorbed by the body than magneisum oxide which is found in most magnesium supplements. However if you take too much at once it (mag citrate) will act as a laxative. Most potassium supplements in store do not provide close the daily recommended value, so its best to get that thru your diet, orange juice is a good source. I also take a Green Source multivitamin which is derived from natural sources.

I am also taking a betablocker (metoprolol) for my fast heart rate and Amlodipine for my blood pressure. My PVCs seem to come in cycles. Right now I haven't had a PVC that I could feel in over a month, but a couple of weeks a year I will get them daily. I think I might be caused by abrupt changes in the weather/temperature.

Last edited by ofacto; 10-28-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
(male)

veritas01 HB User

I have tried just about everything and I am uncertain if any of it helps or not. My PVCs come in cycles as well and when I start something new and the PVCs go away I am convinced it was the new supplement I was taking. Of course it was probably going to get better as the cycle was ending. My cycles can run days or weeks. Generally they last for a few weeks and then I have a few months of almost perfect NSR.

My doctor prescribed a potassium pill which I take daily. I also bought and take a Magnesium pill. I bought the bottle from Costco. I have taken Fish Oil on and off. I read it helps then I read it hurts. I take an aspirin a day (coated). I have tried Taurine and other amino acids and B vitamins and I don't think they were helpful. I have tried Hawthorne root (disgusting). I have looked into Chinese herbal remedies but have not had a chance to visit a herb guy yet. I have also given Co-Q ten a shot. There really is no way of knowing if any of this helps.

I take 200 mg of flecainide twice a day and 25 mg of atenolol daily. Those are most responsible for my heart beating normally for most of the time.

I gave up caffeine and booze totally and I know that has helped a bit.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Seems that I have noticed a pattern now that my pvcs are tied to my period. As soon as I get it, I have days of pvcs. Then I get a break for a few weeks till the next one. They aren't totally gone during that time but at least I have days w/o any.

I wonder if I went on the birth control pill if that would make a difference. I would hate to do it at my age 47. But if it stopped this hormonal roller coaster that seems to bring these things on, I'd do it.

Closed Thread