It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

LymeGuy2 HB User
Severe morning heart palpitations, bad REM sleep- any ideas?

Hello - i am being treated for Lyme, Vagally Mediated Atrial Fibrillation, and Heart Palpitations, and am in normal sinus rhythm. There is only one major symptom i currently have - severe heart palpitations upon awakening in the morning. In fact, the palps are what wakes me up. Most mornings, the palps wake me up after 4 hours, i cant get back to sleep, and that kills the day for me. The palps are gone within a half hour of my usual small dose of flecainide, atenolol, and klonopin.

But this is more worrisome because the symptoms mimic what i've always felt, right before going into a-fib in the past. They're the type of palps where the heart is 'quivering', but still in normal sinus rhythm (as opposed to palps where the heartbeat is very strong and you can feel it thump). And i know that as Lyme treatment progresses when i start antibiotics again, i will go into a-fib all the time unless i can figure out a solution to this. I obviously want to avoid this, because i literally cant walk when in a-fib, and i dont want to be getting a cardioversion every week or two. I also tested for very bad REM sleep in a recent sleep study (CPAP machine prevents apnea).

So something is going on in my body in the overnight hours, even though i take klonopin before bed (which works during the day, but not overnight, for the palps). Can anyone think of anything? The only thing i can think of so far is that the liver detoxes overnight, and so maybe toxic bile is getting re-absorbed, interfering with inhibitory neurotransmitters or the vagus nerve. Maybe adrenaline is being raised also because of this and/or because of poor REM sleep? Another strange clue is that when i have palps during the day, they are relieved by flatulence or a bowel movement.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank You for your time.

ps - i have had every heart test known to man in the past year, and structurally things are fine. I average an electrical cardioversion every 3 months when i go into a-fib.

Last edited by LymeGuy2; 10-06-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: to add a sentence

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Re: Severe morning heart palpitations, bad REM sleep- any ideas?

i was having this sorta still do but i found out i had hypokalemia low blood potassium. i am on a rx of potassium now.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
(male)

LymeGuy2 HB User
Re: Severe morning heart palpitations, bad REM sleep- any ideas?

Interesting. My most recent blood test result for K was 4.0 (ref range 3.4 to 4.8)... but i'm wondering if potassium (just like Mg) can be low intracellularly, rendering standard blood tests useless in a situation of 'false negative' deficiency. i.e the blood levels test fine, yet you may have a deficiency at an intracellular level.

Thank You!

Closed Thread