HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   why if you have to sneeze or cough during a actheter ablation ? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/783240-why-if-you-have-sneeze-cough-during-actheter-ablation.html)

hoekstra 10-15-2001 07:24 AM

why if you have to sneeze or cough during a actheter ablation ?

this may sound strange,but it just came to my mind. i mean you must not move during the whole procedure which takes 2-4 hours,what if you have to cough or sneeze ? if you cough you move and your stomach-muscles contract,will this do anything to the catheter or can this be dangerous ?

Aerosmith22 10-17-2001 02:33 PM

Re: why if you have to sneeze or cough during a actheter ablation ?

During a catheter ablation they want you to be completely motionless as much as possible, they will fix you up well so that if you have to use the restroom, you go right there on the spot, i slept through mine, it usually lasts 1-4 hours...mine lasted for 5 hours...so it all depends. If you cough or sneeze its usually ok, try your best to not talk or shift around at all, you have a wire inside your heart through your leg..how much would a person want to move in that situation? lol. this is a safe procedure with almost no serious or fatal complications ever reported. I've known people to cough or sneeze more than once or twice int he procedure and they do fine. Coughing and sneezing is out of your control, we ask that you dont move because we dont want you doing more movenment than you absolutley have to. Dont worry about it, im sure you will do fine. Coughing and sneezing during this is almost always harmless..

just curious, what arrythmia are you going to have evaluated during your EPS?

hoekstra 10-18-2001 01:41 PM

hi aerosmith !
it is not sure wether i need an esp,but i have had atrial flutter,once in my life.and now i have extrasystoles.i had a holter monitor and it showed about 2800 extrasystoles within 24 hours.i am really afraid of the ablation,because i am very scared of the whole procedure.and i also read that it is possible that you might need a pacemaker,depending on the area where the ablation is done.my problems are coming from the atria and this would mean they have to do the ablation either on the sinus or av-node and this is dangerous...i am already afraid of a mrt,what should i do in the catheter-lab ?! this cannot work,they would have to knock me out.

Aerosmith22 10-23-2001 01:48 PM

Sorry it took so long for my response..

First, realize what is happening with your fears is anxiety. I, myself, have had a EPS mutiple times in the cath lab, and the weeks and days leading up to the first one I could relate to the fear you have now.

Let me start off by telling you the fear before the first one is many, many times worse than the actual procedure. The scariest is the hours before, so during that time while laying in the hospital room waiting for them to come get you, you have to try every mindset possible to relax. These clinics andhospitals do this procedures many times a day.

Atrial Flutter does not necesarrialy mean they will have to perform the ablation on your sinus or AV node...Atrial Flutter is from a single irrated cell ANYWHERE in the atria that has the ability to produce a electical charge any time it is stimulated.... many things can cause stimulation..caffiene, nasal decongestants..ect, ect. This cell possibly could exist near one of your nodes, but more than likely has a high prbability of being one of the other million or 2 cells of your atria.

Here's what my first EPS was like...I was not happy being woken up at 5am in the morning to be at the hospital b 6:30am, knowing that I was going to have do something that worried me.... The drive was short, and you arrice, you have not eaten since the night before under doctor's order, you will usually go into a room where you will find many more people getting a EPS done that day. Sign in and get taken to a hospital room. You go on, nurses will come in and take all your vitals, EKG, give you a IV..just basics... they may even 'shave prep' your groin area to get any hair out of the way..this tens to apply to mostly males ;o] ... So I got shaved, laid there, and watched my EKG monitor, TV, and talked with a few family members..said a quick prayer..and after 4 hours they came to get me, they wheel you down to the prep lab, where you may be shved if you havent already, and it serves more as a recovery room for those coming out surgeries and procedures..these rooms are kept cool to keep the spread of germs and bacteria down... ask for another blanket if your cold..here is where you adress a lot of your fears. I laid for about 35 minutes and worried over a procedure that turne dout to be easy, and somewhat fun. They come to get you, take you to the cath lab, lay you out and hook your monitors up in the room..atrial flutter carries about a 0% mortality rate, its the ventricular arrythmias (ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation that RARELY turn for the worse) ... here comes the fun part... they will give you IV meds that will cast a drowsy, strange drug affect over you, its like being drunk without the hangover ;o] ...makes yoiu feel goofy, and very tired... they will usually let you drift off to sleep, my procedure was 5 hours long and I only woke up forbreif periods when they would stimulate my heart and send me into 220 bpm tachycardia through my right-sided wolff parkinson white accesory pathway... my pathway was located in the 'dagerous spot' and they were unable to complete destroy it, they only applied slight damage on one side of it so it would not conduct anymore.... when i woke up to hear the good news, io fell right back asleep and woke ion my hospital room once again where you have to remain still for 3-6 hours to keep a blood clot from forming in the leg.. however that is very rare and almsot non- exsisitent. You may leave that night or they may keep youuntil the next morning, your doctor will schedule a follow up soon and if you have the atrial flutter return, call him immedatley and let him know..that means the procedure was more than likely not successful or that another irritated cell has started the problem. I also get extrasystoles (PVC's and PAC's) .. you usually just have to learn to live with them =o\ ...

So all in all, this is a minor procedure that is extremely effective at curing atrial flutter, and you need not worry, I assure you this is a safe procedure with the lowest mortality rate of most procedures to date.... post back on this thread and let me know how it goes..when is your EPS? G'luck, and dont let anxiety get ya down ...look foward to the fact you will never have to deal with atrial flutter again...have a good day.

(sorry for any typo's in this post)

------------------
-JD

hoekstra 10-25-2001 06:03 AM

thanx aerosmith for your answer.
it is not sure wether i need an esp.
next month i will make a heart-mrt,to see if heart tissue has changed into fat !
first of all i will change the medication,now i am taking sotalol to keep my sinus-rhythm.
thanx for your description of the procedure,but i think i would vomit in the catheter-lab.you cannot imagine how scared i am ! i am already afraid of the mrt ! i think i can never do an ablation.what if you have to go to the toilet during it ? do you get a blatter-catheter ? oh my god this is inhumane ! but you are not naked during it,are you ?
you see there are about 100 little aspect of this ablation which are very uncomfortable and they form a giant fear ! what if you develope a thrombosis after the ablation ? or you can also get an infection.
all these things scare me to death !

hoekstra 10-25-2001 06:10 AM

by the way aerosmith ! what do you think ?
I read that atrial flutter can be caused by coronary artery disease. i am only 20,but i have been having heart stitches on the left side for the last month.
they appear during rest,but last week i did an ekg on the treadmill and there was no pain at all.if i had a coronary heart disease the pain should have appeared during the exercise,or not ?
i know i am only 20,but i eat a lot of junk-food and i also smoked for about 1 year.i never thought about getting a heart attack,but now i am very scared,when the heart stitches appear. as i said i will do a heart-mrt next month. does this mrt show clogged arterise with plaque ? do you think i might have such a disease ? my doc laughed at me,when i told him about my fear. he said the probabilty was about 0 % that i might have a coronary heart disease. he said that i had no risk-factors. even though i am quite thin now,i have been overweight the past years,but not obese.

mskatiedid2 10-25-2001 08:53 AM

I just about have had every known arrhythmia.It goes fast-slow-flip-flop and some times it felt like someone was playing basketball with my heart...But worst for Me was the extra beats 24/7.Felt bad all the time.Could'nt sleep, Because they would get worst at night when I tried to sleep.and I've taken all the anti-arrhythmai drugs I could take. So I had a meeting with the Doc. I told Him if I could have at least have 1 full day and night I would be happy.In a normal person it's 95 % cure, But in My case it was 50/50 %,Because of My heart defects that I was born with.
So, We went for it.I had all the support from My Family.I went in,had it done, stayed the night and went home the next day.
They only need Your groin area shaved, Which You can do Yourself, I did..They will give You cleansing soap to wash Your groin area. You wear a hospital gown, And they will keep You completely covered with blankets.

I had My ep study and RF Ablation done on the same day- July 31,2001.It lasted about alittle over 6 hrs.which in some cases is normal )I go to The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) at 6:00am Morning,I was the only one booked ,because I was born with Congenital Heart Defects and My Doc (Dr.Lau) wanted to take His time.They started an IV and drew some blood.I got in the lab at 8:00am and had all this patches on My front and Back.They had almost 10 Med Students in there. (I'm a rare case)
Anyway they had My cocktail all lines up for Me,Versed(what a wonderful drug) along with other drugs.The clock said 8:15am and that was about it..I was completely out.. I woke up at about 3:00pm,The nurse was putting the preasure bandage on the rightside groin/thigh. I got in My room about 3:30pm and was in and out.

The doctor was please..I was in Supraventricular Tachycardia when I was put in the Lab.But the weird thing He said was,It was low svt I was 99-135..No
higher..He went on to tell Me, It took them awhile to put Me in A-Fib,When they did,I didn't come out of it so they have to shock Me (Don't worry,My heart is rare,thats why they had to shock Me)other than that He found places to burn.I had to lay flat for 6 hours,and they started Me on a Heprin drip,to make sure I don't get any blood clots. I was put on coumadin ,And had My PT/IN blood tests done every 7-11 days.The Doc took Me off coumadin the 2nd week of September..

I have talked to alot of People who have gone through this,And in every single person has been sedated,And knew what was going on. For Me,I was completly asleep.I can tell You, That in every cath I've had (which has been between 50 & 100)I have always been put fully under.I guess it's just who Your doctor is and/or the hospital You go to.
So far...haven't had any arrhythmias!
Best of Luck!!

*** To the World You might just be one Person,
But to one Person You might just be the World ***

Kay, 27, Alabama. I was born with a Complex Single Ventricle.My Anatomy also includes L-Transposed Great Arteries (CCTGA), Ventricular Inversion with Situs Solitus of the Atria,Left AV valve Atresia (no Triicuspid Valve), and a restrictive VSD.All together I've had 7 palliative Heart surgeries.And they were all Performed by r. Albert Pacifico at The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).Had My 1st. Ablation done on 7-31-01 So far So good!14 yrs. Post-Modified Fontan.I use Oxygen to help Me breathe.

Please join Us again next year in remembering All those affected by CHD on 2/14/2002:
"A Day for Hearts : Congenital Heart Awareness Day !"
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 02-13-2002).]

Aerosmith22 10-25-2001 05:21 PM

good to see you are checking back..

First off, the heart monitors will cause you no anxiety to have..they make you feel comforted.. You will have one of three different kinds of monitor..these are basically the same thing as getting a EKG. No pain, no worries..safe.

The first kind is a holter monitor, this is a monitor that is worn on a belt around your waist or just shoved in your pocket, a wire runs up through your shirt and electrodes (the same used in a EKG) are placed on your chest..just those little round sticky pads.. you will wear it non stop for about 24 hours but sometimes as long as 48 hours. They will remove it and have a 24-48 hour EKG strip of every liuttle heart beat your heart did and any arrythimia if one occured wethere you knew it or not.

Another type of monitor is a type of monitor that looks the same but is a little smaller and clips to your belt, you can own one of these for as long as you want, even up to a year in some cases.. they have a electrodes just like the holter monitor, you can take it off and the electrode pads anytime you need to, like to take a shower or bath. You will have a box of them and you have a insruction book to show you where to place the 3 pads back on your chest and how to hook it back up after the bath, this monitor does NOT record , instead it has a 'record' button on it, if you feel your heart acting up you press it, and it will begin recording the arrythmia or strange heart beats, then you will cal the phone number on the monitor and they will give you instructions to lay the phone reciever on the monitor and hit the 'transfer' or 'transmit' button and you will transmit your EKG electronically to your doctor's office over the phone and he can view it within hours or the next morning, you may record mutiple arrythmias, and it has settings that if detects a fast/slow/or eratic heartbeat it begins recording, so you can go to slepe wearing it and pick up a arrythmia you did not know you had. It has memory so that when you transmit, it not only transmit what oyu recorded, it has in its memory the 1 or 2 minutes leading up the arrythmia so they can see what youir heart beat was doing int he moment sleading up to and into the arrythmia...cool heh??

The third is by far the most simple of all 3. It looks very similar to a pager that you would carry around waiting for someone to page you...its not connected to you...when your heart acts up you place it agasint your chest and hold the small device there as you press record. After it is done, you call the number and transfer it over the phone to your doctors office or a clinic that will then send it to your doctor's office. The phone number is always listed ont he monitor...So as you can see, monitors are easy, safe, fun, and anxiety easing in my opinion.

In the cath lab, if you need a EPS, yes you will have the 'bladder-cath' so if you need to go, you go there...you are not naked, you will have the normal hospital gown on... not much more than being naked in my opinion ;o] lol ... its not so bad, the only time someone might see anything is if your a man and they need to shave prep your groin for the procedure..you will be covered up down there in the procedure.. take it easy when it starts, breathe deep, take a nap..use the restroom if you need to, no one will know... yur covered in what feels like 50 l;bs of blankets and surgical towels..

As far as coronary artery disease, being 20 years old, this is EXTREMELY unlikely at this point... I wont laugh at you like your doctor, that was rude, we all have questions and fears when it comes to heart conditions. But if you continue eating very poorly and smoking, we may look at that at age 40+ ;o] ..more common in 50+ .. I've dome many studies on atrial flutter. I find it a intersting arrythmia, less common than its brother, atrial fibrillation. Not deadly, but can cause extreme discomfort, and maybe some complications in a patient who is having a high rate of speed of atrial flutter for a extended period of time.. If you do indeed have atrial flutter documented on one of your monitors, you will more than likely need to have a EPS, at least to just observe your arrythmia in a controlled enviorment... Nothing to worry about..anxiety is alway many times worse than actual procedures, especially when it comes to a EPS. Feel free to ask any other questions..

Have a good day, sorry for any typo's (i type fast)

hoekstra 10-26-2001 09:00 AM

really a bladder cath !!!
why can't you just wear a diaper !?
this is unbelievable,what does bladder cath mean exactly ?
a cath inserted into the bladder ?
well if you don't drink much the day before you can spend 5 hours without going to the toilet.why do the docs have to make this whole thing as uncomfortable as possible !?
the whole thing is inhumane.

Aerosmith22 10-28-2001 06:08 PM

For men its similar to them putting a condom on you..so yes, someone will see you downt her euntil they get it on..for women it's diffret, you get the idea...tube is placed in and a bag hangs off the side of the bed... its not that bad, it always sounds much more worse than it is. I had to get one, and millions in the hospital everyday have to get one, its just one of those facts of life.

I did not use the restroom during my EPS...and that was 5 hours long...

------------------
-JD

hoekstra 10-31-2001 09:39 AM

aero are you male or female ?
are you sure about the condom ?
i don't wanna get a real cath inserted in the bladder-this must hurt !
how many cath's are used during an eps ?
can it be that 1 is enough ?

what drugs do you get ?
tranquilizers or benzodiazepine ?
i think i am immune against valium etc. it shows no effect on me ! what now ?

Aerosmith22 11-02-2001 08:26 PM

Male, yes I'm sure about he condom, it does not hurt.

During the EPS, they insert mutiple cath's at once sometimes, for me it was three. Some people may have a catheter inserted through their neck, painless, considering the medications your under.

Medications vary.... All have the same effect, druken, drowsy state of being. No pain is felt, infact, not much of anything will be felt.

Always remember, anxiety is 100 times worse than the actual procedure.

------------------
-JD

hoekstra 11-04-2001 12:28 PM

this means they have to put the caths thru more than one entrance ?
both groins ? or can the use more than 1 cath in one side ?
does an eps always recommend more than 1 cath ?

thanx aero !

Aerosmith22 11-07-2001 05:04 PM

You wont have catheters going in each side, they can put more than one through each groin, and one through the neck (painlessly) for those 'hard-to-reach' places.

Theres no way of knowing the number of catheters they will insert; however, I had 3 in mine...so you never know.

------------------
-JD

hoekstra 11-09-2001 01:56 AM

but isn't it dangerous inserting a cath into the neck ?
once i read that the veins in the arm and neck are much more plaque-infested than other veins,even in young patients. if there is plaque in the vein you can get a heart attack.

how long do you have to stay in bed afterwards ?
why mustn't you move your legs ?

how do you leave the cath-lab ? do they transfer you into a bed ?( dumb question)