It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2002, 08:05 AM   #1

John_n HB User
Rapid heartbeat normally only after food or alcohol

I have been suffering rapid heartbeats (120-150 BPM) which mainly occur after eating or drinking alcohol.

I was on Verapamil 120mg 3 times daily until a year ago - I stopped it as it wasn't really helping. Holter tests and EKG shows a rapid heartbeat but without determining the cause. The force of the heartbeats is also cause for concern, as the fullness after eating seems to increase the sensations from the palpitations.

After alcohol, moderate amounts of wine etc., the rapid beats start at around an hour after consumption. After food, it always starts around 30 minutes, but sometimes while I am eating. Breakfast is the worse - no matter what I eat, it can last most of the morning. Cereal or toast produce the fastest beats, if I just have coffee, I don't get any rapid heartbeat. Bread products definately cause me the most problems.

Sometimes I also get a `warm flush` from the left-hand side of my chest / stomach which occurs when I have a shock, etc., and this also increases my heartbeat - is this adrenalin - it don't know?

Has anyone any ideas which may reduce the problem? I have pretty much resigned myself to having to live with it if medical scinece cannot help, but someone out there may have found something which will help.

I take ventolin and becotide for asthama, but they don't seem to affect my heart rate.

Thanks in advance

John

Old 05-23-2002, 06:50 PM   #2
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User
Re: Rapid heartbeat normally only after food or alcohol

Speak with your doctor about a wheat allergy. Wheat based alcohol is what sets off my tachycardia...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Re: Rapid heartbeat normally only after food or alcohol

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_n:
<B>I have been suffering rapid heartbeats (120-150 BPM) which mainly occur after eating or drinking alcohol...After alcohol, moderate amounts of wine etc., the rapid beats start at around an hour after consumption. After food, it always starts around 30 minutes, but sometimes while I am eating. Breakfast is the worse - no matter what I eat, it can last most of the morning. Cereal or toast produce the fastest beats, if I just have coffee, I don't get any rapid heartbeat. Bread products definately cause me the most problems....Has anyone any ideas which may reduce the problem? I have pretty much resigned myself to having to live with it if medical scinece cannot help, but someone out there may have found something which will help...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like a possible response to elevated insulin levels. The foods and drinks described (high in carbohydrate) would typically cause insulin levels to rise significantly.

One of the strongest stimulants of the sympathetic nervous system is high levels of insulin. What does this have to do with the heart? The immediate effects of raising your blood sugar from a high carbohydrate meal is to raise insulin and that immediately triggers the sympathetic nervous system which can cause arterial spasms.

If you don't get the rapid heartbeats after a meal that is very low in carbohydrate, then it is likely related to the insulin. Try eating a breakfast of eggs and sausage only (low in carbohydrate) and see if you still get the rapid heartbeats.

If that is the case, then what is the solution? Eat a diet low in carbohydrate, especially those carbohydrates that cause a rapid rise in bloodsugar and insulin such as sugars and sweets, bread, cookies, cakes, cereal, potatoes, rice, corn, and other refined carbohydrates.

Other common symptoms of elevated insulin levels are being overweight, elevated triglycerides, hypertension, and Type II diabetes.

Alan

Closed Thread