It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002, 05:50 PM   #1

daniel_luver HB User
fast heart beat

I'm a 14 yr. old female, and lately i have had a very fast heart rate. We recently bought a blood pressure tester thingy, and while my mom and dad's heart rates are normal, mine are always in the 80's and 90's, but my blood pressure is normal. Lately, my immune system has been very weak also. I have had two cut infections, and have been sick with a sore throat and cold for 3 weeks now. This is definately not normal for me. Also, when i stand up my vision goes black, and i feel very faint. My dad said i could have a small heart. Any suggestions as to whats wrong

now i know i'm in shape. I run cross country, play soccer, and do track...i'm really worried

Old 01-11-2002, 06:58 PM   #2

Eggie HB User
Re: fast heart beat

daniel_luver

first of all, have your parents take you to the doctor for a very good check up. Especially for the feeling faint when you stand. (drop in BP) a heart rate of 80 or 90 is not that bad. "Normal" is between 60-100, but if you are uncomfortable with how you are feeling then get to your doctor.

sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #3

Aerosmith22 HB User
Re: fast heart beat

All sounds normal in the cardiac area, except for one condition it seems you have.

When you stand and everything goes back, you amy get intense sensations and feelings, perhaps like your going to black out....

This is caused by a drop in blood pressure upons tanding..Im assuming your a slim female. That's the majority of cases. This drop in blood pressure can not be picked up ona monitor, or even at a doctor's office..only through a test known as a tilt table test, a cardiologist would perform this..the drop is very breif, and causes light-headness, blurry or gray/black 'clouding out' vision..a increase in heart rate..ect..

When you stand, your body lacks the proper blood pressure controls at this time to keep the blood pressure at a good level, and it dips very low, it may cause symptoms of near-syncope (almost blacking out but not collapsing or blacking out) and syncope (a full black-out that renders you uncouncious briefly)...you seem to be having near-syncope (presyncope) ....If you do happen to fully black-out, let your family know they are to make sure you are laying on your back...if you are not, they should lay you out flat on your back and elevate your feet about 6-12 inches to allow blood flow to return to the brain...When you have these drops inb lood pressure, the blood is not getting to the brain easily, and the bodie's natrual way tog et it there is to put you out, make you black out...that lies you flat and the blood flow is restored. This is not a fatal condition..the only danger can come from falling onto something in a black-out or "landing the wrong way" and hitting your head during the blackout... The ways to combat this conditon are usually weight-gain (if your slim, some people are heavy and have this condition).....rise out of bed SLOWLY in the mornings...you may also notice it get's very bad upon rising out of a warm bath. Other's have it the worse in the morning when they get out of bed....This ocnidtion can also cause a increase in heart-rate that may make you feel like you just ran a mile ..the body is just trying to keep blood flowing to the head to prevent a black out, it resolves on its own after a while..or may resolve if you lie flat on your back and relax and then rise slowly the next time you get up.. after these 'near-black outs' you may find yourself feeling exhauseted for a little while, at least thats how I always felt....

This condition is most common in teen's ..and it amy go away on it's own over the years..or may last a life-time...

The best way for you to get information on this condition is to type the term orthostatic hypotension into a search engine and read up on
it....hope this helps

-JD

Closed Thread