It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2001, 09:50 PM   #1

cosmaxton HB User
Heart Murmur? New Dr. says I have this, but 2 prev drs didn't detect it

How can this be? I have hypertension, I have had it since 24, I am now 40. I have been to 3 doctors since October 2000. First two examined me etc and did EKG's and never mentioned that I had a heart murmur. I even went to ER and they never mentioned it. I just recently found a new doctor and while he was examining me, he mentioned that I had a heart murmur. I told him that he was the first Dr to mention that. On this particular day I had really bad gas, and when this happens in seems to gurgle inside of me (all over). Could this have something to do with it. I have to have an echocardiogram in 3 months, so I am very nervous about conflicting tests. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2001, 07:16 AM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: Heart Murmur? New Dr. says I have this, but 2 prev drs didn't detect it

The heart murmur may have just developed in you.

The reason for a heart murmur is usually a problem with one or more of the heart valves (your heart as 4 valves). It could also be caused by Mitral Valve Prolapse.

An echocardiogram can determine the extent and status of any heart valve problem.

Ken

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2001, 04:02 AM   #3

axe HB User

This is a common problem. There are three main scenarios.
1. The murmur is new due to a cardiac event - which may be possible if you have been having ECG/EKG's for some reason.
2. The murmur may be a diastolic murmur or class I out of IV (which are very quiet and usually only cardiologists can hear them)
3. The doctors heard them, and just didn't tell you because they didn't think it was significant (there are many types of murmurs that often don't need to be worried about)

To avoid point 3, I always mention to my patients - has anyone ever said you have a murmur? So that way if a doctor down the track mentions the murmur, the patient doesn't think I missed it.

If you are symptomatic, in terms of reduced exercise tolerance, shortness of breath, bluish tinge around the lips, chest pain, or have a 'whooshing' sound in your ears you may warrant having the murmur looked into with transthoracic echocardiogram which is a pretty non-invasive ultrasound of your heart to determine accurately if any functional or structural problems exist with your heart and its valves.

Kind Regards
R.

Old 03-27-2001, 07:42 AM   #4

cosmaxton HB User

Axe

Thank you for your response. Firstly, he was the only doctor that ever mentioned it to me. I do not and have never had any symptoms relating to my heart. I went to a new doctor and part of his first patient exam is to do a EKG. I didn't particularly like this doctor so moved on to another and she did an EKG also. I am now onto a third doctor and he is the one that said he heard the heart murmur. I was first diagnosed with hypertension at 24 in Australia and have had countless tests done, and nobody knows why my blood pressure can go from 220/140 to 117/74 in a day. I have told them countless times it has to do with my emotions. I can my bp rise, it is a feeling I get inside and sure enough I will take it and it is high. It usually happens when I am anxious. For some reasons doctors do not believe this and tend to want to prove themselves correct by sending me off for various tests. I will be going to have an echocardiogram done in June. I can walk for long distances and never get out of breath, and the strange thing when I come back from my walk by bp is always lower and my pulse slow (go figure).
I am also on strong medications that keep it under control, but still have very varied readings. Thanks so much for your valuable information.

Closed Thread