It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2002, 01:03 PM   #1

belco2121 HB User
A single strong heartbeat- aerosmith help?

Basically 2 things happen to me. 1. I get a strong single beat usually when I'm laying down. It doesn't seem to provoke a pause like in pvc's. Well I don't feel it anyways. 2. Also my heart sometimes when I'm laying down or when I'm in a nervous situation seems to shoot out random irregular heart beats. The best way I can explain it is of course we all know what a normal heart rhythm sounds like or should be...Well in this situation these heart beats are just all out of sync of the normal pattern. When both of these situations happen I have no symptoms at all. My doctor believes I have a body that is in tune to everything and can just feel all this stuff. He believes that they are not life threating and gave me beta blockers to stop feeling them when they happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening? I would truly appreciate it.

Old 03-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #2

Aerosmith22 HB User
Re: A single strong heartbeat- aerosmith help?

PVC's dont always come for the same cell in the ventricles everytime, they can rise from diffrent areas, each one presenting itself diffrent on a EKG, and in symptoms. Some may feel like a skipped beat like you had, some may feel like a 'extra' beat inserted between two others, and others just may come out of no where.

But remember, PVC's are not the only ectopic beats..there are PAC's (premature atrial contractions) ...

Some people do no realize they don't stop there..there are PJC's (premature juctional contractions) ..and what we call a dressler beat, or a 'fusion beat'. All these cause a wide range of symptoms of ectopic beats.. each may feel diffrent, PAC's may feel diffrent from PVC's which in turn feel diffrent than the PJC's or fusion beats. They are all generally harmless unless the PVC's come in patterns, groups, intervals during repolorization, or with significant underlying heart disease...

One thing to note, I assure you, they are not coming at night when your lying down..I know it seems that way..but they are happening through-out the day, the human being becomes more aware of the heartbeat while at rest, and will notice them more.. that's where the symptoms start, but a holter monitor will usually reveal PVCs/PACs/PJCs through the entire day.

A irregular heartbeat may be something as simple as a sinus arrythmia, or it may be a form of another heart arrythmia.. or it may be groups of PACs/PVCs/PJCs occuring at random during normal sinus rhythm. That should be mentioned to the doctor. He/She -should- issue a holter monitor or event monitor just to check them out and see if there is anything going on there. Some of us are more in 'tune' to our bodies than others...It's nothing that can be helped, and maybe it's a good thing.. but it will cause some of us to be more aware of heartrate and notice some things that are harmless, but never write any irregular heartbeat off as harmless until a doctor lets you record it on a monitor and he/she reviews it..

Oh, stay ont he beta blocker for a few more days, it can greatly improve quality of life by reucing some of the heartbeat irregularities... and let us know how it turns out..have a good one.

-JD<p>[This message has been edited by Aerosmith22 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2002, 02:25 PM   #3

Aerosmith22 HB User
Re: A single strong heartbeat- aerosmith help?

...<p>[This message has been edited by Aerosmith22 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Closed Thread