It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
(male)

pjero HB User
impotense and insomnia after heart attack

I am 76 yers old. had a major heart attack 28 feb 2010out of the blue, no fam history of heart problems (only cancer) only realise after 2 days it was a heart attack (thought the pain it was a wind stuck in my chest) spend 6 days in icu ( 6 drips at a time ) since heart attack exept for IMPOTENSE AND INSOMNIA no negative symptoms ( thought they had the wrong person in icu ) dont know if problems come from heart attack or medication. because i dont want the by-pass (4 veins) i cannot get a sensible answer from the medical for my problems. the only reply from the cardiologist: forget the rambo tricks and think of the major heart attack. i would like to know is the problems permanent or is it only the medication. if anybody can give me some advise i would appreciate it

Last edited by pjero; 10-20-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: impotense and insomnia after heart attack

Hi,
I do not know what medicines are you taken, but BetaBlokers can produce the effects that you mention.

Definitely your cardiologist should give you solutions the both problems ... in fact they are not difficult either change medication or give sleep pills and erection pills, but the latest one do not try to take them by yourself, most probably they will interact with your medication and you will need to follow a particular protocol to take it.

If you do not get the answers that you need, probably you will need to change the cardiologist.

Good luck,

Jesus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
(female)

euphoria04 HB User

Hi...just came across your post and wanted to try and put your mind at rest...the same thing happened to my partner and the cardiologist told him it was psychological and typical after a heart attack...i'm pleased to say that he was functioning normally again after a year...hope this helps

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

So am I understanding this correctly??? Your heart issue is not resolved or fixed and they want to do a bypass which you don't want to have??? Because if so, it is not safe for you to be having sex. I, myself, just had a triple bypass the 29th of Nov, 2010 and while it is anything but a walk in the park and I won't tell you it is not that bad, in the end I think it will be worth it.

But to answer your questions, many drugs used for the heart can cause impotence or even sexual problems in women too I hear but, there are things to help as long as you are healthy enough for sex...which is the key point here.

Edited to add insomnia is a very common side effect of heart issues I think it is a mixture of medicines and fear and anxiety, but it is very common and drs. are ready to help you out if you just let them know. I ended up having to go on anxiety pills and that did the trick and I have been able to sleep since then, but before that I had some really restless nights and they are no fun.

Last edited by CindyB67; 01-06-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: to add about the insomnia part.

Closed Thread