It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
(male)

Damaramu HB User
Unhappy Heart Issue or Anxiety?

Hi! I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself! People seem really friendly and knowledgeable.

This is a long one, so thanks in advance for reading it!

I'm 34, and diagnosed with high blood pressure and insulin resistance by my PCP. Both are under control through diet, exercise, and medication.

I used to suffer from strong bouts of hypochondria while in my early 20's. I've managed to squash it until recently. My diagnosis 5 or 6 months ago regarding high blood pressure and insulin resistance caused my health anxiety to flare up in full force. I supposed to make up for lost time.

I've had a heart stress test, echocardiogram, EKG's, blood work, etc. My heart is OK and at the time (3 or 4 months ago) I was in "deconditioned" state according to the results. Blood work results indicated normal thyroid, liver, and kidney functions.

Since then, I've lost nearly 40 pounds, eat a low carb, sugar, and sodium diet, and walk nearly 2 miles on a regular basis (at least 5 times a week).

So yeah, I can't help but think that every small ache and pain is something related to my heart even when I know better. I keep thinking "My test results were ok, but that was X months ago! What if I've gone downhill from that? What if the tests missed something?" Old habits are hard to break.

So with that:

Went to bed at about 10:30-11:00pm last night. Woke up at about 2:30am after an intense dream. My heart is racing. I always feel a little panicked when this happens.

I check my BP using a digital wrist BP monitor I bought at Walgreens. It's elevated, 160/100 (or round abouts). I feel even more panicked. I check every 10 minutes and watch as my BP goes up and down, 140/90 - 160/109.

I'm worrying big time here. I'm afraid my heart is about to fail or I'm going to stroke out (no symptoms of either appearing mind you).

Finally, around 4am, I take my days dosage of AZOR (bp medication). Checking my BP now, it's down to 130/80.

So my question is: Were my high BP readings due to anxiety?

I did not suffer any chest pains, dizziness, tingling, numbness, slurred speech, etc. associated with impending heart attack or stroke.

I think I may need let my PCP know about my health anxiety (I haven't told him) and see if I can get something to help me with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
(male)

dan49 HB User
Re: Heart Issue or Anxiety?

More than likely it was due your anxiety. With the absence of all other symtoms that is probably your problem. I would still talk to your dr. about the anxiety.

Good luck.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-21-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
(male)

Damaramu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan49 View Post
More than likely it was due your anxiety. With the absence of all other symtoms that is probably your problem. I would still talk to your dr. about the anxiety.

Good luck.
Thanks Dan. High blood pressure and health anxiety is a really crummy mixture.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
I'm 34, and diagnosed with high blood pressure and insulin resistance by my PCP.

Went to bed at about 10:30-11:00pm last night. Woke up at about 2:30am after an intense dream. My heart is racing. I always feel a little panicked when this happens.

I check my BP using a digital wrist BP monitor I bought at Walgreens. It's elevated, 160/100 (or round abouts). I feel even more panicked. I check every 10 minutes and watch as my BP goes up and down, 140/90 - 160/109.
I've also been diagnosed with HBP and Insulin Resistance. Both are under complete control mostly through an appropriate, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet.

Sure signs of Insulin Resistance is blood pressure that goes up during the night instead of down and an erratic heartbeat.

I've posted a thread, with charts, showing my unhealthy "hourly" blood pressure patterns, throughout the day, prior to getting my Insulin Resistance under control, and the typical "hourly" healthy blood pressure patterns after I got my Insulin Resistance under control.

The thread, which is posted under "High & Low Blood Pressure" is entitled: Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=746464

I started dieting back in 2004 and posted a thread, in January 2005, under "High & Low Blood Pressure" asking the question: "Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?" This was prior to me knowing whether or not the diet would be effective against both my chronically high blood pressure and my Insulin Resistance.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-21-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread