It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
(male)

avicii HB User
Post Peripheral Arterial/Vascular Disease?

My grandmother aged 75 has a 30 year history of RhA had a MI 6 weeks ago and was hospitalised, during which time she developed an ulcer measuring 5mm x 5mm with a sloughy base probing to the bone on the 5th digit of her right foot.

She is on the following prescription:
5mg Prednisolone b.d.
75mg Methotrexate plus Folic Acid q.w.
5mg Warfarin o.d.

She lost 7kg while in hospital and has since been eating well and has gained 1kg. she complains of an unremitting pain in her right foot and knee, which is worse around the site of the ulcer. This makes it difficult for her to mobilise. She is worried about several black patches around her nails in all her fingers and toes, including the tips.

Could this be gangrene? And from what I've been reading it seems likely shee may also have PAD. If it is gangrene is amputation the only option or can other avenues be explored? What investigations/treatments are there? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
(male)

whistonian HB User
Re: Peripheral Arterial/Vascular Disease?

Your Grandmother must ask to be seen by a Vascular consultant.It sounds like she has poor circulation to her legs,the ulcer will never heal unless there is a good blood flow to her feet.The black areas you mention on her toes could certainly be Gangrene and if it travels through the foot then amputation is likely,however at the moment treatment can cure it after the blood circulation has been treated,She may need a Triple Vascular Bypass.
I write from experience as my wife of 73 had the same symptoms and eventually had to have a TVB and below knee amputation.

Last edited by whistonian; 11-02-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread