It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User
is bruising easy a side effect of plavix and aspirin?

i notice i seem to bruise easy, not huge bruises but brusies. The bottle of Plavix makes it sound like if you see brusing get medical help asap.

Is this something serious ?? I am taking 75 mg and a 325 mg asprin a day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
(male)

dan49 HB User
Re: is bruising easy a side effect of plavix and aspirin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
i notice i seem to bruise easy, not huge bruises but brusies. The bottle of Plavix makes it sound like if you see brusing get medical help asap.

Is this something serious ?? I am taking 75 mg and a 325 mg asprin a day
Yes brusing is a side effect of blood thinners. If they not huge I would not be concerned overall. If your Dr. is available I would call him first. Now if you get large or rapid bruising in many places then I would probably go to the ER. If you are concerend than go to your dr or the ER if you are extremely concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Not sure about Plavix, but I am on 81 mg Aspirin a day for valve problems, and I routinely bruise with even that dosage.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
(male)

i called the cardio and the nurse said its from the plavix and asprin. so i guess you just live with it ? i got one today about the size of a dime just forward of the bend in my forearm, its not real bad but feels like a hard lump>normal?

i dont even know how i got it...when are they something to worry about ?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

twin17 HB Usertwin17 HB User

Quote:
i called the cardio and the nurse said its from the plavix and asprin. so i guess you just live with it ? i got one today about the size of a dime just forward of the bend in my forearm, its not real bad but feels like a hard lump>normal?

i dont even know how i got it...when are they something to worry about ?
hi cvcman... i think we've posted to eachother before. i too was getting all of these bruises all over...i had about 14 or so on every part of my body... only one was big, about the size of an orange, but the rest were all small. they started a few days after my dr switched me from bystolic to atenelol, and added the aspirin. i didn't know which one did it, but everyone says it's most likely the aspirin, not the beta blocker. and the dr didn't stop anything, so i wouldn't worry too much over it....unless like dan said.. they are very very big.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
(male)

im not taking a beta blocker, I think its the Plavix/asprin combo the biggest one I have is about 2"long by 3/4" wide all the rest like dime size

Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Question Re: is bruising easy a side effect of plavix and aspirin?

Quote:
im not taking a beta blocker, I think its the Plavix/asprin combo the biggest one I have is about 2"long by 3/4" wide all the rest like dime size
i think alot of people on plavix do have similar problems, as do people on aspirin regimin...aren't they all blood thinners of some sort? and i do know you bruise easily if your blood is thin. i remember my grandmother was on coumidin and had really nasty bruises all the time. mine have lessened since i started the new meds. i still get a few here and there, but not as many as the first week. i'm not even concerned about it anymore...what i am concerned about NOW is even tho i am on b/p meds, aspirin and high cholesterol meds...my b/p has been super high for the last 2 weeks...between 160/100 and 197/116 and everywhere inbetween those readings. nothing has changed...my diet, my lifestyle, nothing...yet the b/p. i do have 2 different pac's and pvc's, but i don't think those are harmful, and my pulse is always fast whether i am at rest or not (around112 avg). i had been at a dr appt when that dr decided that the b/p and heartrate was irregular and did an ekg which showed some changes from the previous readings, so he faxed the results to my cardiologist, who called me that night and told me to come in tomorrow. do ya think i should be worried? i really feel like a pain in the butt having to see him again...but he is the one who called me. what do you think?

Last edited by twin17; 11-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
(male)

Humm your bp is high and they should get that under control. How is your weight ?? Any exersise ?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
(female)

oh gheeze... my weight could be lower! but i am not by any means obese.. i need to lose about 10 lbs..not too bad. i do walk twice a day...15 minutes each time, and i do go up and down the stairs in my house ALOT...two flights. that counts as some doesn't it? even tho i can barely make it up those flights!!
my dr e mailed me and wanted to know how the b/p was and i told him it dropped considerablly and he thinks the two readings were too LOW (97/77..95/75) and i told him i got sick to my stomach a couple of times and very dizzy to the point i couldn't drive. he told me to cut the pill in half and see if that brings it up a bit, if not i'll call him i guess.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
(male)

whats your height/weight ? What are you using to take your bp ?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
(female)

my height is 5'9" and my weight is 180. i am taking 50 mg atenelol, 20mg benicar, one 81 mg aspirin and also the 40mg simvastatin for the high cholesterol. he just told me to cut the benicar in half.
i had been taking bystolic, but i got too many side effects from it so he changed me to the atenelol.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin17 View Post
my height is 5'9" and my weight is 180. i am taking 50 mg atenelol, 20mg benicar, one 81 mg aspirin and also the 40mg simvastatin for the high cholesterol. he just told me to cut the benicar in half.
i had been taking bystolic, but i got too many side effects from it so he changed me to the atenelol.
sorry... i thought you meant what meds i took...i have 2 b/p machines.. one is digital, and the other is an old fashioned type of sphygmomonometer with the stethescope and cuff/guage. i told the dr what my readings were, and he said they are pretty close to what he gets in the office...but told me to bring them in next appt and he will check them along with his.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
(male)

Humm your a girl correct ?? Im a man 5'9" and I weigh 163 and I need to loose about 10 pounds. Truth, you need to loose 20 pounds at least and increase your exercise to 1/2 hour and get your heart rate up to 130's.

Believe me you will lower your bp and drop weight. I see people walking all thie time trouble they walk too slooowwww, you need to speed walk and keep it up for 30 mins. Work up to it.

At 5'9" and 180 yo are too heavy, sorry but im being honest with you. I was 197 pounds in July and I started biking an hour a day and keeping my heart rate at 130 or above. I am 51 yrs old.

You can do it if YOU want to.Good luck

Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Humm your a girl correct ?? Im a man 5'9" and I weigh 163 and I need to loose about 10 pounds. Truth, you need to loose 20 pounds at least and increase your exercise to 1/2 hour and get your heart rate up to 130's.

Believe me you will lower your bp and drop weight. I see people walking all thie time trouble they walk too slooowwww, you need to speed walk and keep it up for 30 mins. Work up to it.

At 5'9" and 180 yo are too heavy, sorry but im being honest with you. I was 197 pounds in July and I started biking an hour a day and keeping my heart rate at 130 or above. I am 51 yrs old.

You can do it if YOU want to.Good luck
surely you jest!!! yes. i am a woman, i live on a steep hill so i'm lucky i can even walk that!! and i am 59 yrs old. yes i know i need to lose weight, but remember...5'9" inches for a man is SHORT, but tall for a woman and our bodies are most likely built differently. don't worry... i'm laughing as i write this.. but if i got my heart rate to the 130's i'd probably drop dead... i have 2 irregularities one atrial and one ventricular and the dr thinks because it is always in the 110-118 range, that is rapid! and doesn't my 2 walks @ 15 minutes count for something? i do that everyday!!! when the weather was nice i sometimes went 3 times!! but i can't walk when it's real cold, cause i cough. but anyway.. i'm trying to improve things. i've quit smoking and don't even want one! and i am taking my meds like a good girl and i do eat pretty good, but i have to admit, i did buy halloween candy that i like! so give me credit for something!!
by the way...if i wasn't 59, i'd swear i was pregnant! the thought and smell of food made me sick to my stomach all day..i cooked but can't eat. so i am just gonna have some water tonite and watch tv! my thumb will get exercise flipping channels on the remote!!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
(male)

Want the truth or sugar coated ?? Height for a man or a woman. men can get away with being heavier because of muscle, it weighs more than fat. a weight of 180 for a man is too heavy for a woman of the same height, and a man that is 5'9" and 180 is too heavy, a woman is way too heavy !.Tell me what you eat for an average day, breakfast,lunch, dinner and snacks and be honest.

Again I see people who walk so slow and think they are working out, WRONG !

You need work out enough to burn fat... I eat candy a little too but i work out everyday at a cardio pace ! You only get back what you put into it. If your 2 walks are at a slow normal walk pace they dont count for much, sorry.
Not being mean just honest,again you can do it ONLY if YOU want to

Closed Thread