It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

ViolentDelights HB User
What's going to happen to my Dad?

Hi all,

My Dad was diagnosed with heart failure around 5/6 years ago, when I was a teenager. At the time, he simply told me that it was a manageable condition and that he would be OK so long as he followed his course of medicine and listened to doctors orders in terms of looking after himself. I just took this as being the case.

A couple of nights ago, however, for some reason I decided to investigate heart failure a little more and I have been devastated by my findings. I didn't realise that it's a condition that's probably going to kill him sooner rather than later.

I spoke to my Dad about it last night and apparently, he doesn't know what stage/class (i.e. 1-4, A-D) he is at. I'm not sure whether I believe this - I think he's just trying to protect me from the reality of the situation. I asked him about his life expectancy etc and apparently, he doesn't know this either - he just reckons that he's going to look after himself so he can live as long as he can.

Can anyone give me any more info?

He's 53 years old and his heart failure is as a result of a faulty heart valve, something that was present at birth. He is slightly overweight but on the whole, he eats well. He works full time and it is quite an active job, so he gets exercise through this. He manages to go about normal activities well enough, such as going for a walk or doing the weekly shop. And He is controlling the condition through medication and always takes his meds as directed, he doesn't miss doses- the doc said he doesn't need an operation at the moment. In his last check up, he did a treadmill fitness test thing and he was only a few marks below the average for someone his age WITHOUT a bad heart.

Can anyone tell me what the outlook is? I mean, if he was to continue to live sensibly as he is now, could he have a good few years left in him? As mentioned, he was diagnosed 5/6 years ago.

I've also heard that heart failure is an umbrella term - is it possible to have a heart failure that isn't part of the classic 1-4 spectrum?

What I'm essentially asking is, is it possible to live to a decent old age if you manage the condition and yourself really well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
(male)

dan49 HB User
Re: What's going to happen to my Dad?

I am sure you are very worried about your dad. His life expectency really depends on many factors. Valves can be replaced and your foather is young at 53. If he does the right things and the way you describe his activities I would not be overly concerned as long as he is doing what his dorctor asks him to do.

You said that your dad's Dr said his valve was not bad enough to do surgery yet. I would think that as a positive thing. While this is a serious condition please dont over worry about it. Maybe go to your dad and have a serious talk with him and let him know of your concern. Ask him to be honest with you and that you want to know the truth if anything is truly wrong.

I am sure your dad will be fine.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-29-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have multiple heart valve problems which was found some 5 years ago. I have mod to severe regurgitation (Valve does not close properly and blood backflows into heart chamber) in the Aortic Valve and mild to moderate regurgitaion in the other three valves. I have been evaluated regularly for the last five years and have had no progression or worsening of the condition. I am not on any meds other than therapeutic aspirin daily. I do watch my diet and try to avoid cholesterol in the diet ans do take meds for that as well. I also have other family members who have had similar conditions that are managed by medication and diet. My parent had an aortic valve replacement at age 74 and she did well and lived many years after with no complications from the surgery, which did improve her quality of life. I hope you see that although not considered heart failure (mine) it is the outcome if the disease should progress. I have also been told that a valve replacement could become necessary if there was a worsening of my condition. I feel confident that with regular assessment that preventative measures can be done to manage my heart valve issues. I think that one tends to think that any heart related issue is critical, where many times it is manageable. I am glad that your dad is under a doctor's care and is following the advice of his physician. Many times one who ends up in trouble is non-compliant to the doctor's recommendations. BTW I was 52 whn I found this problem and am now 58.

The Following User Says Thank You to goldyfm For This Useful Post:
Vyking (10-29-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

ViolentDelights HB User

Thanks for your replies, they've been a comfort to me.

I've spoken to him since writing my initial post. He promised me he would tell me if anything was wrong and that in his last check-up, the doctor said he was doing really well. Also, the doctor said that there was no need for another check up for 12 months, which is obviously a good sign.

I'm trying not to worry because all of the facts would suggest that he's going to be OK for a good while yet but I can't help but think I should prepare myself for the worst. I guess really I should save my worrying for when there's actually something to worry about!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
(male)

dan49 HB User

Why are you trying to brace for the worse? If your dad said he does not have to see his Dr. for a year trust in what your dad says. Dont worry about things that are not needed to be worried about. Treasure your dad and biuld memories those days that you fear may come but it looks like it is a very long way off.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-31-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentDelights View Post
Hi all,

My Dad was diagnosed with heart failure ... I have been devastated by my findings. I didn't realise that it's a condition that's probably going to kill him sooner rather than later.
Heart Failure is a progressive disease, meaning that it can get progressively worse over time. The main problem, which worsens a Heart Failure condition, is the body's attempt to force the heart to beat better by over-producing hormones, like adrenalin, that attempt to stimulate the weak heart.

Medicines, such as Beta Blockers and Ace Inhibitors, attempt to stop the "hormonal" over-stimulation of the heart, allowing the heart to rest and get better.

Quote:
I spoke to my Dad about it last night and apparently, he doesn't know what stage/class (i.e. 1-4, A-D) he is at. I'm not sure whether I believe this - I think he's just trying to protect me from the reality of the situation. I asked him about his life expectancy etc and apparently, he doesn't know this either - he just reckons that he's going to look after himself so he can live as long as he can.

Can anyone give me any more info?
The stage/class refers to the overall weakness of the heart. At stage 1, the heart is mildly damaged. The stage increases as the heart weakens and the patient gets worse and more limiting symptoms. At the more advanced stages, it is difficult to get out of bed, there are constant breathing problems, frequent chest pains, over-sweating, overall weakness, etc.

A patient really doesn't need a doctor to tell him his heart-failure stage, he knows it by his symptoms.

Quote:
He's 53 years old ... he eats well ... He works full time and it is quite an active job ... He manages to go about normal activities well enough, ... always takes his meds as directed ... he did a treadmill fitness test thing and he was only a few marks below the average for someone his age WITHOUT a bad heart.
It's obvious, judging from his lack of limitations, that his is in Stage 1 Heart Failure, at most. It also sounds like he doesn't have bad reactions to his medications. That is very good!

What meds does he take?

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the outlook is? I mean, if he was to continue to live sensibly as he is now, could he have a good few years left in him? As mentioned, he was diagnosed 5/6 years ago.
If he continues to take the appropriate, most effective medications; gets appropriate exercise; and gets on a healthy, low calorie, low carbohydrate diet; his prognosis should be pretty good for a reasonably long life.

Quote:
I've also heard that heart failure is an umbrella term - is it possible to have a heart failure that isn't part of the classic 1-4 spectrum?
The 1-4 spectrum just tries to classify the overall condition of the heart and the patient. It is somewhat arbitrary. If you'd prefer, select a range of your own, from 1 to 10; or from 1 to 100, that you feel would better help you to track his overall condition.

Heart Failure is a very broad classification, which just means that the heart is not functioning at 100%. There are many reasons why a heart is not at 100%.

Regards, and best of health and good fortune to both you and your father!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Closed Thread