It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
(male)

1982 Lives On HB User
Does this sound like a heart disorder?

Since Friday, 1st October, I have been experiencing various forms of discomfort around my body, particularly the upper part (shoulders, underarms etc.) and the locations of some of the discomfort have worried me because pain around those areas can be linked to heart disease or even an impending heart attack. So naturally I have been a little concerned.

Here is a list of the symptoms I have been experiencing over the past 44 days:

-Tingling or dull aching pain around the upper left of my chest and underarm. Sometimes it will resemble a throbbing pain and usually won't last long but it will return from time to time.
-Strange feeling of tightness just above my stomach which is at worst when sitting down but alleviated when moving around.
-Discomfort in my stomach.
-Palpitations have occurred occasionally as well as a heartbeat that sometimes seems to go very fast for no real reason, even when sitting down.
-Nausea, which is not exacerbated by consumption of food, strangely.
-Headaches.
-Aches in back and around my neck, sometimes even in my jaw, and even in my thighs occasionally.
-Feeling of stiff pain in hand, between fingers, usually my left hand.

The fact that the strange feelings are often happening on the left side of my body is what is concerning me as that is linked to cardiac problems, I believe.

Usually I have each of the above listed symptoms one at a time and one will replace the other as the day progresses. For example, sometimes I will feel nauseous. Then that will disappear and I'll have aches around the upper left of my body. Then that will go and I'll have some tightness around the abdomen, and then the nausea will come back etc.... thankfully I have not yet experienced several or all of those symptoms at the same time.

The duration of time this has been occurring for, as well as the similarities of some of my symptoms to cardiac problems, are what is concerning me at the moment, and this is having an effect on my life to the extent where I've lost weight and I'm failing to concentrate fully on schoolwork and other such matters. I have lost nearly a stone since this started, probably because I haven't been eating so much over the period of time and I have aimed to eat more healthily since it started.

Other bits of information you may want to know: I am 18 years old and currently weigh about 136 lbs having lost about 10 lbs since all this started. I'm about 5 foot 11 inches tall at the moment, don't smoke, hardly ever drink alcohol and admittedly do lead a bit of a sedentary lifestyle. But I do walk a good 3 miles to, around and back home from school every day on weekdays so I like to consider myself healthy to some extent.

My conditions are not exacerbated by exertion. To be honest, I actually have found that moving around relieves any tightness or discomfort I may be experiencing in my chest. And I am sleeping fine presently.

So, with me having said all this, should I consider myself at risk of any heart problems? If not, what do my conditions sound like? I am very concerned about all this and hope that I can have this issue resolved by Christmas. If there is anything more you wish to know, just ask me.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Does this sound like a heart disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 Lives On View Post
To be honest, I actually have found that moving around relieves any tightness or discomfort I may be experiencing in my chest.
If the pain is relieved by changing position then it's not your heart.

You should see a doctor just to be sure - your heart is not something to take lightly.

Last edited by Vyking; 11-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
(male)

1982 Lives On HB User

In response to Vyking:

As a matter of fact, I have been to see the doctors - twice. The first doctor I went to, back on the 21st October, did not have any concerns about my condition and said that if it was a problem with the heart, it would definitely have resulted in a heart attack or other major problem in less than three weeks. The strange feelings in my upper body did not subside, though, so I organised another appointment with a different doctor on the 5th November. That appointment resulted in me getting told it may be something to do with my bowel and I was prescribed some Mebeverine tablets (are any of you familiar with this medicine?) which I have to take 20 minutes before meals.

The tablets have alleviated my symptoms somewhat and while awake and about I feel less tightness and pulling around the abdominal area now. However, they have not solved the problem fully and I do wish to get some blood tests done, maybe even a scan, to put my mind further at ease.

Yesterday while in school I suddenly got a throbbing, aching pain on the underside of my left arm, which lasted about a minute and the went away. No shortness of breath or faintness occurred alongside it. I get similar throbbing pains in the upper left side of my chest as well which will last for about 5 seconds a time, go away, repeat a few more times and then go for a while, maybe even a day. But they do keep returning and I know they will. I find it all very distracting and worrying.

Do these sound like symptoms of a serious heart disease or other problem? If not, am I asking my questions in the wrong forum and should I take them elsewhere? Things like this have been going on for a month and a half now. Should I worry myself and get something more done or should I try to calm down?

I really would appreciate any more suggestions. Please feel free to ask me some stuff about the pains. If I can be ensured that it isn't a heart problem, that will make my day.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

So basicly you don't believe your doctor and would rather believe some anonymous people on an internet forum?

I don't think it's your heart but then again I'm not a doctor.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
(male)

1982 Lives On HB User

In response to Vyking:

The doctors did listen to my heart and check the pulse on both times I visited them. They could not find any problems. It's odd, really, because the pains are not happening all day; they only happen at certain times during the day and can't really be pinned down. But I have had palpitations (those massive, rapid heartbeats you can feel pounding your chest) and chest tightness (though not at the same time) - some of my symptoms do match those of heart disorders. However I've heard that heart disorder symptoms are very similar to a lot of other problems, like anxiety - it's all very confusing. I really don't know what it could be.

The doctors have ultimately given me no real answers and I strongly doubt it's IBS. Just doesn't seem like it at all. They have helped put my mind at ease by telling me it's unlikely I have heart problems, but I've been reading through the threads on here and many a time I've heard how the doctors and even scans have not helped find a definite cause for the problem. I've not had any scans or blood tests done yet, but my blood pressure is actually quite low, apparently, which is a surprise. Nonetheless, doctors have been wrong in the past, and I'm sure there are many people on these forums who could attest to that.

I'm still not ruling out any possibilities at the moment. Like you say - the heart is not something to take lightly. But if you have any suggestions as to what this ailment of mine could be, I'd be most interested to hear more.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

Your symptoms sound very similar to what I had. Especially where you are getting the pains. Do you carry heavy books alot ?? To be honest , to me , it sounds like you need to see a chiropractor ! Thats what my prolem was , although it was made worse because of my anxiety and all thinking it was my heart. My back and neck and even my ribs , were all out of alignment and the ribs and shoulders were what was causing the pain under my armpits , shoulders and chest ! Its worth checking out because it is something so simple to go get checked ! I was skeptical but the chiropractor has virtually made all those pain go away ! Good luck to you and let me know if you go !

Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
(male)

1982 Lives On HB User

In response to momoftrio:

Thanks for your post. It is interesting that you should mention about how it could be caused by "carrying heavy books a lot", because I do have quite a heavy load to carry in my schoolbag every day and it's a walk of over a mile up to my school. But my friends and most of the other people in my year have to do the same or similar things and they don't have any problems like this. Nonetheless, thanks for giving me a bit more insight. I'm not sure if we have any chiropractors round here but I'll keep your advice in mind. Would you say it would be advisable to have a scan done?

Would you mind telling me a bit more about your symptoms? How long did they go on for, how much of an effect did they have on you and how were they finally solved? This stuff has been going on for nearly seven weeks with me, now, so I am pretty nervous and haven't been doing as much work as usual recently with all these worries on my mind. The symptoms for heart attacks and disorders seem to be so wide-ranging and numerous (such as nausea, arm pains and neck pains) so that's why I'm getting so het up about this as several of my symptoms do fit the bill. I'd be interested to hear more about what this condition could be.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

Sorry it has been a while ! I went through all of the testing to rule out heart things because like you I felt like I had so many symptoms. Mine went on for months !! The nausea and pains turned out to be unrelated in a sense. I have acid reflux when if not treated causes me major nauseau ! Also the stress from worrying so much I developed an ulcer which caused major stomache pain and nauseau. I am now fine with all of that. I decided to go the route of chiropractor when everything else came back fine. I carried heavy children all the time and typically on one side which really caused my neck , shoulders, middle back , even ribs to be all out of alignment. I can honestly say after the firast adjustment I felt soo much better. After a few more I was good as new . Now I just go back periodically for adjustments when I start to feel any of the pains acting up again.
It really does sound like this is whats going on with you . I think the fact that other people don't have any problems and carry like you do , really doesnt mean anything as everyone's body is different. Do you find that you carry them more on your left side ???

Closed Thread