It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
(female)

pacemaker2010 HB User
Pacemaker replacement for 80+ male

My father is a 80 plus years old Asian male with pretty good health. He had his first pace maker implantation in 1982 .The second pace maker implantation was in 1995 ,it has been like 15 years now. He visited his cardiologist recently due to some chest discomfort. The cardiologist said that he needs to replace the pace maker, because the battery is running low. His has decided to go for the replacement surgery.

His main concern is the location for the pacemaker :1) at the original location( abdominal ) or 2)the new location (under the skin near collar bone) . May I know the pros and cons of both location?

our concerns regarding these two location:
1 . replace the pace maker at the original location( abdominal ) :
- the new pacemaker is smaller than the one my father has now, will there be a hollow/ space that might lead to poor contact of the pace maker and the tissue around it? does that matter?

2.at the new location (under the skin near the collar bone) :
- My father does not feel comfortable leaving the old pace maker (switch off after the new one is functioning) in his body.
- he might not be able to play golf if the implantation is near his collar bone...?
- putting wires through his vein to reach his heart sounds dangerous to him....

how much does the pace maker cost? does the implant location differ according to different location (abdominal vs under the skin near collar bone)? ($USD)
Is there any recommended website where I can get more information about pacemaker replacement?

Thank you and hope to hear from you.
Any replies would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread