It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
(male)

noah123 HB User
multiple PVCs in a row, or not?

Several times, over the course of a few months, I experienced what I think were PVCs, while I was indoor rock climbing. Today, immediately after coming down off the wall, I experienced what seemed like four PVCs in a row. However, they couldn't have happened faster than 100 bpm, and if I had to guess I'd probably say that they were more like 80 bpm, possibly even slower. Is it possible that it only felt like they happened in succession, and there were, in fact, beats in between the PVCs? The reason I'm concerned about how many occurred in succession is because I've read that more than three is considered Ventricular Tachycardia, which I've further read is cause for concern. Does it have to be beyond a certain speed to be tachycardia, if it's the type of tachycardia that consists of three or more PVCs in a row? I didn't feel dizzy or experience any chest pain when it happened.

I'm seeing a doctor on the 7th, but this is causing me a tremendous amount of anxiety in the mean time.

Also, can restricting calories too much for a prolonged period of time during a weight loss diet lead to bradycardia? If so, how long would it take after resuming normal eating habits for the heart rate to return to normal?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Re: multiple PVCs in a row, or not?

Go see a dr. they will most likey do a holter test first. i was told my pvc were not that bad ha, 30 per of my heart is pvc a few pacs and tachy.. it will cause anxiety you could be low on potassium and this can cause it but do not take etra potassium until you get tested. to much can cause heart problems.

i know how you feel. mine went on for a long time and drs missed them. drove me nuts.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-01-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

Katiequiggle HB User

Can I be really dim and ask what a PVC is. Sorry new to all this.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The only way you can know they are PVC's is to have an EKG while they are happening or a 24 hour Holter and hope they occur during that time. I started getting them badly about this time last year. By the end of January, they were so strong you could see my heart beat through my clothing. EKG showed 50% of my heart beats were PVC's.

My doc ordered an Echo and my heart is fine. He said I didn't actually need anything for them except that my clothes were jumping and it kept me awake at night. So we tried a beta blocker to stop them and it helped but then swapped one calcium channel blocker for another and they stopped for the most part. I take meds for hypertension.

I still get them and they aren't a problem unless your heart speeds up with them. And they can be controlled with meds. There is even a post on here about someone controlling them by acidifying his diet...and interesting way of doing it.

Don't sweat it. Pretty common as we age. I had a Holter done several years ago and just found out that I had 2% PVC's back then and never knew it. From what I have read, it has no effect on heart attack stats or cardiovascular disease.

See your doc and relax.

Jen

Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiequiggle View Post
Can I be really dim and ask what a PVC is. Sorry new to all this.
Premature ventricular contraction. In other words, an irregular heartbeat.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

is a relatively common event where the heartbeat is initiated by the heart ventricles rather than by the sinoatrial node, the normal heartbeat initiator. The electrical events of the heart detected by the electrocardiogram allow a PVC to be easily distinguished from a normal heart beat.

A PVC may be perceived as a "skipped beat" or felt as palpitations in the chest. In a normal heartbeat, the ventricles contract after the atria have helped to fill them by contracting; in this way the ventricles can pump a maximized amount of blood both to the body and to the lungs. In a PVC, the ventricles contract first, which means that circulation is inefficient. However, single beat PVC arrhythmias do not usually pose a danger and can be asymptomatic in healthy individuals[1].

they can be quite visible. i take a high potassium dose as mine is low and that also greatly diminshed my chest thumping. i stil have them but not as much as a year ago.

Closed Thread