It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

mrsinnot HB User
Question X-Ray in ER showed cardiomegaly, should I be concerned?

I am a 41 year old female. 5'6" 240 lbs. I went to the ER due to pain in my upper back on the left side that radiated down my left arm and around my side to my left chest area. This was most likely caused by excessive hard labor of putting up a wood fence around my house over the weekend I suspected. The initial "vitals" taken showedmy blood pressure at 173/101. The PA did a chest X-Ray and an EKG to rule out any issues with the heart. The nurse came in and discharged me and said everything came up good and I must have pulled a muscle in my back. He gave me my discharge paperwork and sent me on my way. Later that night I read the X-ray report and it stated the following:
FINDINGS: Two views of the chest were performed. PA and lateral views of the chest were obtained. The cardiac size is enlarged. There are minimal scatterred firbrotic or atelectatic changes bilaterally. There are no focal infiltrates or consolidations. There are no plural effusions.
IMPRESSION: 1. No acute disease in the chest. 2. Cardiomegaly

So my question is 3 parts.
1 - Shouldn't the ER doctor have informed me of the cardiomegaly and that my blood pressure was high?
2 - Should he have done any other tests to find out more info?
3 - Should I be concerned about these findings or is it a common thing that is really no big deal?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: X-Ray in ER showed cardiomegaly, should I be concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinnot View Post
I am a 41 year old female. 5'6" 240 lbs. ...

IMPRESSION: 1. No acute disease in the chest. 2. Cardiomegaly

So my question is 3 parts.
1 - Shouldn't the ER doctor have informed me of the cardiomegaly and that my blood pressure was high?
2 - Should he have done any other tests to find out more info?
3 - Should I be concerned about these findings or is it a common thing that is really no big deal?
In all probability, at your weight and with your blood pressure, and with your enlarged heart, you are also at least Insulin Resistant and possibly Pre-Diabetic or Diabetic.

These are serious problems that should be checked out.

However.... In my humble non-professional opinion, if you start a very healthy, small meal, low calorie diet; do appropriate exercise; get on appropriate blood pressure medication, and avoid things like cigarette smoke and caffeine which will strain a weakened heart; you have a good chance to improve your chances for better health going forward.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-07-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

mrsinnot HB User

I am definetely not diabetic nor pre-diabetic as I check my blood alot since my husband is diabetic. I am always in the normal about 99 - 105. I have been seeing a weight loss doctor for a year this month. I have lost 39 lbs in this time. I eat much better these days (although I am guilty of cheating now and then). I know I should get more exercise than I do with more of a routine. I quit smoking 2 yrs and 10 months ago. I drink diet, caffeine soda but do drink coffee in the mornings. I am thinking that I should not need to worry about this since it was not even mentioned in the ER, but I did schedule an appt with my primary care doctor to be sure. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Take those test results to your primary. You have problems but the ER is there for acute problems and an enlarged heart and high blood pressure are chronic problems....not something they treat. They just rule out the acute problems...like a heart attack.

I was 5"2" and 240lbs and had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure. Started walking every day for an hour+. Lost 40 pounds fairly quickly but more importantly, brought down my BP and my heart is now only slightly enlarged.

It's long, low impact exercise that helps with the enlarged heart. Now I am working on dropping more and keeping the heart good.

You've probably had hypertension for quite a while, pounding away at your heart muscle, making it larger. It's just like exercising your biceps and they get bigger. Exercise your heart too much and it gets bigger and that is what hypertension does. Many docs will accept a pressure that really is too high for you. You don't know until symptoms arise that you need it lower. For me, 120/80 is too high....I keep mine at 110/70 to keep my heart in good shape and it has worked to let the heart "shrink" back to normal size.

See your primary and get that heart back to normal. It can be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
mrsinnot (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinnot View Post
I am definetely not diabetic nor pre-diabetic as I check my blood alot since my husband is diabetic.
If you feel confident that you are not Insulin Resistant/Pre-Diabetic, then that is a good thing.

Quote:
I am thinking that I should not need to worry about this since it was not even mentioned in the ER, but I did schedule an appt with my primary care doctor to be sure. Thanks for the reply!
One of the good/bad thing about cardiomegaly, which I had for over 23 years, is that there are warning signs if it gets worse, such as increased breathing problems, problems breathing when lying down or reclining, getting more easily tired or fatigued, increased sweating, chest pains, swelling in the ankles/feet/legs, increased erratic heartbeat/heart rhythm, etc.

If you don't suffer from worsening of any of these, or other symptoms of worsening cardiomegaly, then that would be a good sign and could bring you more peace of mind.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-07-2010 at 02:36 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
mrsinnot (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Jenny is right but Your glucose nos are what drs call pre diabetic. They would like them under 100 all the time. MIne are between 66 and 78 but when i began a heart med last year suddenly my glucose shot up to to just under 500. Drs thought it was diabetes. had i not been checking for this over the years, i had been thirsty and urinated a lot, a kidney problem it turned out to be, they would have assumed diabetetes. have them don an AIC, 3 month avg to know the real glucose reading, and watch the carb intake.
i would still see a cardio or talk to one and send them the recordsl some ppl have them for yrs with no major issue. some do not.

The Following User Says Thank You to caring12 For This Useful Post:
mrsinnot (12-07-2010)
Closed Thread

Tags
cardiomegaly, enlarged heart