It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

NTH redhead HB User
23 yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

So last wednesday I went into hospital to have my knee surgery and was told the day after that when I arrived and since I had had tachycardia normal rhythm just a fast heart beat. I was given 3 ecg's while I was there and told that it was normal other than the fast heart rate and it had something to do with nerves of the surgery but to have a thyroid test to be on the safe side. (heart rate was around 110-135 in hospital)

However a week on I still have it and I am on Nortriptyline 100mg and have been for the last 4 years or a little less and I have had the blood test which should come back next week. I saw my GP who said that he doesnt think its thyroid but do the test anyway and go from there. (Heart rate at GP's 130) Im having another ecg next friday which no doubt will say the same as the others.

What I am trying to ask is, is my theory of it being the drugs I am taking possible? I have seen other cases of this happening and then when they stop the drug a week later they are back to normal. As it doesnt make sense that all of a sudden this has started as other than my knee I am well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Re: 23 yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

ask you dr what the names of the thyroid tests he did are called an write them down even if they say they are normal.... ask what the range for each test is as well for each 1 and then come back here to let us know you test results for that.

You may be producing too much thyroid hormon causing you hyperthyroid symptoms..... you can go to the thyroid boards here or the net and read about it's symptoms to see if it sounds like what you're feeling.

if it is hyper - then from what i read in most cases it's followed by
hypothyroid where your thyroid don't make enough hormone.

Last edited by t_411; 12-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

NTH redhead HB User

Hi t_411

thank you I will do, I have actually been looking at the symptoms of a thyroid problem and dont have any symptoms of it a fast heart rate is the only thing I have. But I will find out hopefully Monday Tuesday if its thyroid or not.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A good homeopathic remedy to reduce a rapid heart beat is Aconitum nap. 30X.
It is a fast acting remedy --15 to 30 minutes and can be repeted.
It is readily available at most health food stores.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
(male)

toonyUK HB User

Hi NTH redhead

Your doc is probably right about the thyroid thing... it's probably just to rule any possibility of a hyperactive thyroid out, or any other hormonal imbalance.

The question is... HAS this just happened all of a sudden?? Is this the first EKG/ECG you've had in the 4 years since taking Nortriptyline?? Did you notice a fast heart rate before the op?? Do you notice the fast heart rate now when you're heart isn't being monitored?? Or do you only notice it now that it's been pointed out to you.... these are all questions you should ask yourself before getting worried

One of the side effects of Nortriptyline is tachycardia. Maybe the course of action to take will simply be to try a different course of meds.

If it's not the meds, tachycardia can be easily treated with medications such as beta-blockers (like propranolol) - They are also prescribed to people who suffer from anxiety.
They lower blood pressure and heart rate, and generally make you feel relaxed.

Do you have any history of anxiety at all??

Last edited by toonyUK; 12-14-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: wrong name

The Following User Says Thank You to toonyUK For This Useful Post:
NTH redhead (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

NTH redhead HB User

Hi ToonyUK

I received the blood tests back today and they have all come back normal. So no thyroid or anaemia problem which is good.

Yes the heart rate just went up all of a sudden, I had noticed it but apparently I went into hospital that morning with it but my heart rate was normal two weeks before when I had another minor op on my neck. I have only had these three ECG's while on the drug and have never had a problem with my heart before. I have never noticed since I was told I had a fast heart rate, and I wasnt told for 24hours that I even had a problem when I went in, I have not had any side effects of the fast heart rate and unless i feel my pulse I dont notice that its racing etc.

I am actually now beginning to stop taking Nortriptyline as I was only on it to stop my body from developing complex regional pain syndrome as I have had pain in/a problem with my knee for the last 4 years. I have reduced the amount from 100mg to 75mg and on friday with be reducing it to 50mg so hopefully in two weeks I will be off the drug.

No I have never had an anxiety problem though I have had in the last couple of months several stressful events, my knee getting worse and my grandmother passing away in questionable circumstances after a battle with cancer for 3 years.

My knee consultant believes that it may have been stress of the surgery as i have been waiting to have it done for 3 years and also the Nortriptyline. I am having another ECG on Friday and seeing my GP the following Monday.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

That's great you don't have thyroid issues.... Sounds like you'll be fine and this will all pass soon. It could be the meds.

I know someone who had complex regional pain syndrome in their leg as well.... She got a nerve block.. It helped but didn't last more than a week so they put in a spinal cord stimulator and she say's she feels great.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi NTH redhead,

There is a warning for individuals with cardiovascular disease not be given nortriptyline, and if so only under close supervision because of the tendency of the drug to produce sinus tachycardia.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
(male)

toonyUK HB User

It's good that they are moving quickly in your case

But I really don't think there's anything to worry about.

The bodies stress response to surgery activates all manner of hormonal changes. This increased sympathetic activity results in the well recognized cardiovascular effects of tachycardia.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
(female)

NTH redhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
Hi NTH redhead,

There is a warning for individuals with cardiovascular disease not be given nortriptyline, and if so only under close supervision because of the tendency of the drug to produce sinus tachycardia.
I do know there is as I researched the drug before I started taking it and I dont have any cardiovascular disease but thank you for letting me know

Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Very wise decision to researchside effects for drugs. Something I haven't done...trust doctors may not be a good idea!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #12
(female)

NTH redhead HB User

I have phoned my gp and was told that it is a thyroid simulating hormone test...

Last edited by NTH redhead; 12-22-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: recieved the name of the blood test

Closed Thread