It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

uthe HB User
diastolic dysfunction

Diagnosed with CAD in April 2009. Did rehab successfully in July. Returned to work in November part time, noticed SOB during activity, blamed it on lack of exercise. Continued to work part time and going on to full time in February. Been working full time since, with continued SOB. Recently had all test done again, including cath. Now was told have diastolic dysfunction and was placed on lasix. Was told this would ease my SOB. Had blood test on kidneys and came back normal. One week so far and feel no different. Wondering how long before noticing a difference?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: diastolic dysfunction

What else do you know about what is causing your diastolic dysfunction? Are your atriums enlarged at all? Is it due to valve problems?

Is it due to heart rhythm/beat dysfunction?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-15-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

uthe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
What else do you know about what is causing your diastolic dysfunction? Are your atriums enlarged at all? Is it due to valve problems?

Is it due to heart rhythm/beat dysfunction?
So far that's all I know, will see my cardiologist on Dec 22, to know more. I was told there was fluid around my heart, that's the reason for lasix and that it would help my SOB, but so far has not helped.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi,

For some insight regarding DD, almost always the problem is due to thickened left ventricle heart walls. The enlarged heart walls oftened are rigid and not as flexible and as a consequence there is an inability for the chamber to adequately fill. This reduces the amount of blood pumped into circulation with each stroke. The low cardiac output presents problems and if not probably treated the left ventricle will began to fail lowering the ejection fraction to a heart failure range (below 29%) and that can produce pulmonary congestion and that would indicate diastolic heart failure.

The etiology can be chronic high blood presssure, heart muscle damage (viral, alcohol, etc.) There can be aortic valve disorder (narrowed opening), and coronary artery disease as well.

Fluid around the heart can be an underlying cause for DD. This haapens because the pericardium fliud between the heart wall and a sac covering the heart. This condition can impede the heart muscle to meet some resistance when trying to relax and expand to fill druing the diastole phase.

Good luck, take care

The Following User Says Thank You to started04 For This Useful Post:
uthe (12-15-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Utheboss, you are welcome, and I wish you well going forward.

KenKeith

Closed Thread