It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

jahennes HB User
Amiodarone and the last rites?

When I picked up a prescription of Amiodarone, instead of his usual smile and greeting, the pharmacist made the sign of the cross and spoke solemn Latin words over me.

Seriously, this medicine scares the hell out of me and as of yet I am unable to get up the nerve to swallow the first pill.

I know it has been discussed already, but I am wondering if anyone of late has been taking Amiodarone for AF with good results and negligible side effects.

Thanks,

Jack

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
(male)

jahennes HB User
Re: Amiodarone and the last rites?

About to decide against Amiodrone. I just can't erase the image of "blind with blue skin" from my mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Amiodarone has a lot of side effects. If you didn't like Coreg/Digoxin, I can't imagine how you would react to Amiodarone!

How is your tachycardia currently? Is it constant, 24 hours around the clock, all the time?

Is it a pounding heartbeat, or a weak heartbeat?

Is the heart rate steady, or erratic?

It is a shame that the combination of Coreg and Digoxin didn't work. It is one of the best combinations on the market against AFib, Tachycardia and High Blood Pressure, among other health benefits.

How much Coreg were you taking before you stopped it? How much Digoxin?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-17-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
(male)

jahennes HB User

Hey Mach, I was doing 3.125mg of Coreg.
I started back on the Digoxin. I take split the pill and take both halves at a different time than the Diltiazem.

My heart rate is all over the place with a two minute reading that can jump fifty bpm. Highest 150bpm and the lowest is 70bpm.

No pain and flutters since I quit the Coreg.

Neither the Coreg nor Digoxin have canged my rates from the time when I was on Diltiazem 300mg.

Thought I would give the Digoxin another shot.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas,

Jack

Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahennes View Post
Hey Mach, I was doing 3.125mg of Coreg.
3.125mg Coreg? That is almost as good as taking nothing! However..... Coreg does come with the difficult side effects of making you feel tired and weak, because of how it works.

I wish that you had, at least got up to 6.25mg Coreg, twice a day, or 12.5mg Coreg once a day before stopping. I am on 25mg twice a day. It works much MUCH better at 50mg per day than it did for me at 25mg. It made a HUGH difference going from 25mg to 50mg per day.

Plus..... after being on it for at least 22 days, a lot of my strength and energy came back. It took about three weeks. At present, despite having Heart Failure, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation, Insulin Resistance and Asthma, I feel damn good! I am able to do two+ sets of complete exercises per day.

Quote:
I started back on the Digoxin. I take split the pill and take both halves at a different time than the Diltiazem.
What is the dose?

Quote:
My heart rate is all over the place with a two minute reading that can jump fifty bpm. Highest 150bpm and the lowest is 70bpm.
Of course you know that you MUST get that heartrate under control. This is not optional.

So...... the doctor throws the nasty, NASTY medication Amiodarone at you, in a desperate attempt to get your arrhythmia under control. That is not a good approach IMHO.

Quote:
No pain and flutters since I quit the Coreg.
While you were taking Coreg you had increased pain and flutters?

I still wish that you had stayed with the combo of Coreg and Digoxin, but at a much higher dose of Coreg. OTOH, I am not a doctor, nor have I any medical training, so my opinion is worth no more than a homeless wino sleeping under a bridge!

Quote:
Neither the Coreg nor Digoxin have changed my rates from the time when I was on Diltiazem 300mg.
Well..... Coreg at 3.125mg is almost worthless, IMHO.

Quote:
Thought I would give the Digoxin another shot.
Digoxin is a wonderful, and much tested med. It has been around for over 100 years. It is one of the oldest and most tested heart medications. What is funny is, that after all these years, they still can't say definitively the extent of the benefits of Digoxin.

Quote:
Thanks for any thoughts or ideas,

Jack
In other words, thanks for nothing!

Any thoughts about ablation?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
(male)

jahennes HB User

Quote:
3.125mg Coreg? That is almost as good as taking nothing! However..... Coreg does come with the difficult side effects of making you feel tired and weak, because of how it works.

I wish that you had, at least got up to 6.25mg Coreg, twice a day, or 12.5mg Coreg once a day before stopping. I am on 25mg twice a day. It works much MUCH better at 50mg per day than it did for me at 25mg. It made a HUGH difference going from 25mg to 50mg per day.
Jeepers Mach, make me feel like such a sissy! I was rolling up into a fetal position, crying Mama on 3.135 and you are taking 15 times more than that.

If the Coreg would have even moved my rates 5bpm I would have had second thoughts. If anything they went up 5pts.

I am on .25 mg of Digoxin and it's growing hair on my chest.

Always appreciate your thoughts my friend,

Jack

Last edited by jahennes; 12-17-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
(male)

man648 HB User

I have been on amioderone for around 8 years. So many other heart meds just didn't work good enough. My cardiologist told me the dosage I tak is considered a loe dosage. I take a 200mg tab in the morning and a half tab (100mg) at night. I noticed a couple years back that my vision was giving me problems as in seeing halos around bright lights. Other than that issue I don't seem to have any other side affects.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-18-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
(male)

jahennes HB User

Thanks, I talked to my pharmacist about Amiodarone today and he has been in the business for thirty years. He said he had not known of any of his customers to suffer the harsh side effects.

I am an old surfer and one of the great pleasures I enjoy is sitting out in the backyard during the summer heat of day and getting a tan. I was wondering, if you or others that have been on the drug suffered sunburns or turned blue ?

Still frightfully staring at the Amiodarone bottle,

Jack

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahennes
I talked to my pharmacist about Amiodarone today and he has been in the business for thirty years. He said he had not known of any of his customers to suffer the harsh side effects.
I see my pharmacist once every three months. If I have a harsh side effect, I don't go back to the pharmacist, I go back to the doctor, or just stop taking the drug. Then the doctor prescribes a different medication.

One has to question the percentage of patients who provide feedback to their pharmacist. For instance, I NEVER provide any feedback to my pharmacist. I'll joke with them, but since they are merely higher paid clerks, with limited medical knowledge, and they can't prescribe medications, I find little value in their input.

I wonder about the value of your pharmacist's feedback to you?

Quote:
Still frightfully staring at the Amiodarone bottle,

Jack
To me, taking Amiodarone is like playing Russian Roulette. While many people can take it for a while, many others suffer from Amiodarone Toxicity.

The longer one is on Amiodarone the more the possibility of developing some type of toxicity, as you have probably already found out due to your researching this drug, especially if you research "Amiodarone Toxicity". One also has be be careful of Amiodarone interactions with other medications and supplements.

What do you think? Do you think that it would be safe to start at a very low dosage and see how you might react to it? How safe is Amiodarone at a low dose?

You need to do something to calm your heartbeat. If Amiodarone is the only medication that works, you may have to take it, and then perhaps do careful monitoring of toxicity levels and side effects?

I still wish that 50mg Coreg worked for you!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
(male)

man648 HB User

One side effect i do have, I believe from amiodarone, is in the summer, for the last 2 years, I break out TERRIBLY on my forearms with very itchy and reddened skin. I just have to be very careful about getting over exposed in the sun, especially, when driving. My left arm being exposed to the sun through the window.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-20-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
(male)

jahennes HB User

Thanks. I think the Amiodarone is going to stay in the bottle. I think, I'll wait until after the first of the year, to renew my exploration for another medication. The search has become depressing.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jack, you are probably going to have some tough choices to make. In my case, I let my heart beat fast for seven months, which caused me to end up in the Mount Sinai Hospital, in Miami, with Heart Failure; and changed my life forever. That was about 24 years ago.

For me the Internet came along just in time. Without the Internet and it's great sources of research, I would have been dead, or worse, by now.

If you haven't been able to get your heart rate down to a healthy, non-damaging level yet, there are some options:
  • Ablation
  • Medication(s) with all of it's nasty side effects
  • Avoiding triggers or irritants or stimulants which might be causative.

In my case, with permanent Atrial Fibrillation, I take 50mg Coreg and .125mg Digoxin, and 10mg Quinapril, all of which keeps me from suffering from tachycardia, I would guess. They don't stop the Atrial Fibrillation, but at least the medications limit the Atrial Fibrillation from doing harm.

Coreg, at 50mg per day (25mg twice), was very debilitating. It sapped most of my energy and strength, but it also greatly improved my health and quality of life. Sadly..... It also greatly reduces sex drive. For someone like me, retired and near 70, I can tolerate lack of energy and limits on sex. Plus, my wife kinda prefers me on the medications!

But...... after 22 days of 50mg of Coreg per day, a lot of my energy and strength returned.

If you find out that you have no other option, you might consider another go-at-it with Coreg.

How about an ablation instead? Any thoughts on that? They locate the dysfunctional areas of the heart and zap them so they no longer misbehave.

Anyways...... how are you doing today? Any better, I hope?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
(male)

jahennes HB User

Mach, I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure and because of the damage to my heart I am not a good candidate for ablation.

I am going to wait until after the New Year to figure something out as far as treatments. I'm hanging in there, my friend.

Have a good holiday,

Jack

Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Mach, I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure and because of the damage to my heart I am not a good candidate for ablation.
Same here. During my recent appointment with my Cardiologist he said that my heart was too enlarged to warrant ablation, especially since I also have Permanent Atrial Fibrillation. He said that the attempt could take a series of many ablations to my heart with a very low chance for success.

It's a shame for both of us, since ablation techniques have really advanced and are quite effective for those who are good candidates.

Well..... irregardless of our heart disease and health problems, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
(male)

jahennes HB User

Quote:
have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
back at you, my friend!

Closed Thread