It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
high diastolic

I tend to always have a high diastolic number. I get readings between 150/103 and 118/100, I even got 134/124 one day . Most common would be 125/98. I recently moved and have a new doc and all he wanted to do was raise my BP meds, which kiwers the systolic but not the diastolic. He put me on an event monitor because of a rapid pulse but I don't think he is paying attention to the diastolic. I do feel out of breath a lot and just a general tenseness.

Is this a sign of early heart failure? I am concerned because I don't feel old enough to be dealing with these issues and I know with everty year it just gets worse!

Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: high diastolic

Have you had any tests done to determine the cause of your high BP?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

What kind of tests would they do? I had a stress test with echo, a thallium treadmill and a 3D echo because I complained of shortness of breath. They came out normal.

My doctor just said I have a high diastolic and keep giving me meds. But when they up the meds the systolic goes down and the diastolic stays the same or goes down just a little. I go from 125/89 to 140/100 just by climbing the stairs or getting up to do something. My doctor saiod thats not normal but all he ordered was an event monitor because oif my rapid irratic pulse and I dont think thats what I need.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I tend to always have a high diastolic number. I get readings between 150/103 and 118/100, I even got 134/124 one day . Most common would be 125/98. I recently moved and have a new doc and all he wanted to do was raise my BP meds, which kiwers the systolic but not the diastolic. He put me on an event monitor because of a rapid pulse but I don't think he is paying attention to the diastolic. I do feel out of breath a lot and just a general tenseness.

Is this a sign of early heart failure? I am concerned because I don't feel old enough to be dealing with these issues and I know with everty year it just gets worse!
Some underlying causes: Obesity is one of the the most prominent causes of high diastolic blood pressure and obese people have a higher risk of hypertension than people with normal weight....more pressure on the arteries resulting in high diastolic blood pressure. The other causes of high diastolic blood pressure readings also include age, lifestyle, stress, depression, etc. A sedentary lifestyle also contributes to high blood pressure. Systolic hypertension is more common than diastolic hypertension, but high diastolic blood pressure leads to diastolic heart failure.

Diastolic heart failure results from diminished filling volume due to rigid heart walls that doesn't relax and that presents more resistance causing a higher diastole pressure as well. As a consequence there is low cardiac output that can result in heart failure if not properly treated.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

well I am not obese, age? what's considered an age for high diastolic? Life style, well I am active and eat healthy. Back to the weight issue, I don't buy it. I know many obese people and I mean obese who have great blood pressure. I think hypertension can be caused by some of these things, but not always.

I am starting to worry because it doesn't seem to be much they can do to lower diastolic pressure. that's probably why it leads to heart failure.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
What kind of tests would they do?
Well for starters they could do a scan of your kidneys.
If you do a google search for 'renal artery stenosis' you'll find it's the most common cause of hard to control high BP .. that's what was causing mine.

My BP was very erratic .. sometimes 188/110 but mostly in the 160/low hundreds range - it is now under control with meds, 108/72 atm

Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I am starting to worry because it doesn't seem to be much they can do to lower diastolic pressure. that's probably why it leads to heart failure.
There's an abundance of different meds available - if one doesn't work you need to try another or a combination of different ones, if your doctor is not doing this you need to find another doctor.

Last edited by Vyking; 12-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
well I am not obese, age? what's considered an age for high diastolic? Life style, well I am active and eat healthy. Back to the weight issue, I don't buy it. I know many obese people and I mean obese who have great blood pressure. I think hypertension can be caused by some of these things, but not always.

I provided general infomation for some people that may be interested regarding possible underlying causes and its etiology...obviously we don't know your weight, age, etc. or at least I don't! And possible underlying cause is not an absolute, it is the probability. The information helps one to do a differential self-analysis dx

Generally as one ages blood vessel walls become thicker and tougher and that condition, etc. causes high b/p. You are correct, stress can be component to a heart condition as stress will constrict vessels, etc. and the heart has an additional burden. You should have your anxiety treated if it is causing you so much concern...that may help! Take care.

Ken

Closed Thread